Gammons report

bschmaranz

La Russa close; GM search to wait

Oct 19 - According to ESPN's Peter Gammons, Tony La Russa is close to re-upping with the Cardinals for three more seasons, and the deal should be finalized in the next few days.

Meanwhile, Gammons also reports that the Cardinals' GM search will be postponed until after the World Series. Rick Hahn of the White Sox appears to be the front-runner, although Cardinals chairman Bill DeWitt might try to lure Indians assistant GM Chris Antonetti.

Interesting...

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Oct 20, 2007 -> 07:56 AM)
I really think when and if Hahn gets another job, its really going to hurt the White Sox more than you would think an assitant GM leaving would hurt. I would rank Hahn the second brightest individual in the organization, second to JR.

I agree. I'd rather the Cardinal's hire KW and the Sox make Hahn their GM.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Oct 20, 2007 -> 12:56 PM)
I really think when and if Hahn gets another job, its really going to hurt the White Sox more than you would think an assitant GM leaving would hurt. I would rank Hahn the second brightest individual in the organization, second to JR.

Absolutely - I certainly don't want him to go anywhere, but at the same time, it would be a great move for him. I would be happy for him...

Yeah there's no doubt losing Hahn would be a big loss to the franchise. He's the one who does the majority of the contract negotiations, and I think most people would agree he'd done a pretty good job at doing this, from the Buehrle deal to say signing Iguchi to a 2 year deal with an option for a 3rd (typical Rick Hahn contract).

I will say though, if Antonetti wanted the job, I think it would be his. He's rated very highly at the moment, and he's got a similar sort of background to the likes of Mark Shapiro, Josh Byrnes etc. whose teams were all having success this year.

QUOTE(29andPoplar @ Oct 20, 2007 -> 10:36 AM)
Rick is a great guy, extremely smart, and is an expert on contracts, labor relations, among other things. I am very surprised he hasn't been snapped up a while ago. It would be a big loss but I can understand how he'd want the Cardinals job.

I agree. Its one of the premier jobs IMO. He was smart enough not to even bother with the Pittsburgh job, if this doesn't happen for him, something will soon enough. Listening to him, he's pretty impressive.

What happens a lot when guys like Hahn leave to a new team is they usually are interested in a few guys from their old organization. If Hahn gets this job, I wonder who he would try to get from KW.

QUOTE(winninguglyin83 @ Oct 20, 2007 -> 10:31 AM)
maybe Hahn will balk at being forced to accept Tony as his manager instead of picking his own guy.

then the sox start slowly, KW gets the ziggy and Hahn gets the corner office.

That's my hope.

Sorry, Kenny.

Take Andrew sisco, Nick Masset, Lance Broadway, Jerry Owens and Danny Richar and get out of town.

I don't know how you would balk at your first GM job with one of the winningest teams in baseball in the past 20 years, because of the manager, a guy who I don't like, but a guy who only has less managerial wins than John McGraw and Connie Mack.

Only reason you would balk at LaRussa is because he is LaRussa, a genius who gets all the credit when his team wins because he's the king of the self-promotion game (see endless books, laudatory articles and other goodies, despite having two world series wins in about 25 seasons).

I would think most GMs would want to name their own manager.

Bottom line is that I hope Hahn stays.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Oct 20, 2007 -> 11:37 AM)
I don't know how you would balk at your first GM job with one of the winningest teams in baseball in the past 20 years, because of the manager, a guy who I don't like, but a guy who only has less managerial wins than John McGraw and Connie Mack.

:headbang

Full disclosure: I happen to be a Tony fan. Not too many mangers with more than two WS wins in the last 25 years. I believe only Joe Torre. And all time I'll bet less than ten guys have won three.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Oct 21, 2007 -> 10:58 AM)
:headbang

Full disclosure: I happen to be a Tony fan. Not too many mangers with more than two WS wins in the last 25 years. I believe only Joe Torre. And all time I'll bet less than ten guys have won three.

Pretty close, you just missed Sparky if you count the last one as within 25 years. 15 guys have won 2. 44 guys have won 1.

# First Last Manager

7 1932 1943 Joe McCarthy

7 1949 1958 Casey Stengel

5 1910 1930 Connie Mack

4 1955 1965 Walter Alston

4 1996 2000 Joe Torre

3 1905 1922 John McGraw

3 1923 1928 Miller Huggins

3 1975 1984 Sparky Anderson

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Oct 20, 2007 -> 07:56 AM)

What moves have Hahn made to make you think this ? Why is he so bright in your opinion - please provide examples.

QUOTE(29andPoplar @ Oct 20, 2007 -> 10:36 AM)
Rick is a great guy, extremely smart, and is an expert on contracts, labor relations, among other things. I am very surprised he hasn't been snapped up a while ago. It would be a big loss but I can understand how he'd want the Cardinals job.

Yes, I truly believe this will be a huge loss and with Ozzie locked up for more years and KW running the nut house, it looks like we will lose the more stable guy. Its going to be a long three years. I wonder if Hahn will take KW's whiteboard approach, I doubt it.

QUOTE(WHITESOXRANDY @ Oct 22, 2007 -> 01:41 PM)
I heard that the Sox expect to lose Hahn but aren't worried because they have Harold Baines set to accept the position.

Let's assume that you are serious in your assessment....The Sox might not be worried but I would be. Harold Baines would have no business taking on a job like that.

Yeah what do you guys know of what he has done individually to make you like him so much?

It's a fair question. There are many things actually.

First of all he is the primary contract guy. I remember people on this site who were 100% positive Buehrle wasn't going to re-sign with the White Sox. Some bullwinkle even said it was a shame, Buehrle would win 280 games in his career and most of them would be in another uniform. Thank Rick Hahn in large part for getting it done.

All of these contracts, especially the ones where they buy guys out of a couple years of free agency, that's Rick Hahn for the most part.

He is also the labor relations expert for the team, a very critical role.

Further and not a lot of people are aware of this, but Rick does a great deal of the initial trade negotiations. Williams can't be everywhere and Hahn does a ton of networking and discussing personnel with other GM's and his counterparts. He is extremely respected in baseball circles and that alone is enough reason to like him and think highly of him. He is a large part of getting personnel moves to happen.

He is a big part of recruiting free agents, he helps a great deal with getting draft choices into the fold. Lastly, he has been a huge element of insisting the Sox look very hard at their minor league and scouting operations, and recommending changes and a plan of action. Regier and Laumann and also I believe Wilder report directly to Rick, freeing up Williams to focus on working with Guillen and the coaching staff.

Bottom line, Hahn has a great deal more responsibility than most Asst. GM's and it's because he has the complete trust of both Williams and Reinsdorf. It is also a credit to both Williams and Reinsdorf that they have prepared Hahn for a greater role, not only has it been beneficial to the White Sox these last few years but it also good for Hahn's career, and that's what the White Sox like to do, they like to further develop their upcoming executive talent.

If Hahn ends up in St. Louis I would expect Wilder and Regier to have greater roles, assuming Regier doesn't end up working for MacPhail in Baltimore.

So hopefully that answers some questions about Hahn.