Gammons report

bschmaranz

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 24, 2007 -> 09:42 AM)
Link, scoll to bottom past the Ozzieball stuff. It wasn't a harsh thing or anything, just reality (don't want to make it seem like they were upset with him or something).

Agreed. It's got to be for security, not out of spite. I hope he gets the job for his sake, but hope he doesn't for the White Sox sake.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 24, 2007 -> 09:21 AM)
Trib reports that Hahn was kept out of many discussions at the organizational meetings because of his being recruited for other jobs. Secrecy and all. Sounds to me like they think he is likely to leave.

To me that is the most serious sign yet that they expect a deal to be done.

I have an innocent yet what I feel is valid question. Why doesn't Hahn get any of the blame for the failing of the team. Was he not the Asst GM of a terrible $100M payroll......

BTW, I like Hahn and think he did/does a great job.

For those 80's/90's Bears fans, Hahn seems to be the Ted Phillips of this organization more than the Jerry Vanisi (sp?) but I could be very wrong.

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Oct 24, 2007 -> 04:29 PM)
I have an innocent yet what I feel is valid question. Why doesn't Hahn get any of the blame for the failing of the team. Was he not the Asst GM of a terrible $100M payroll......

For those 80's/90's Bears fans, Hahn seems to be the Ted Phillips of this organization more than the Jerry Vanisi (sp?) but I could be very wrong.

It's a valid question - I don't think anyone has answered the key question - "Why is he a good candidate for a GM job - what has he done to become a major candidate ?"

I'm not against Hahn at all - obviously St. Louis feels he's qualified, but it's hard to find concrete answers to this question.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 24, 2007 -> 09:21 AM)
Trib reports that Hahn was kept out of many discussions at the organizational meetings because of his being recruited for other jobs. Secrecy and all. Sounds to me like they think he is likely to leave.

Remember when they did that to Bryan Little because his BROTHER got hired in Boston!

QUOTE(spiderman @ Oct 24, 2007 -> 06:55 PM)
It's a valid question - I don't think anyone has answered the key question - "Why is he a good candidate for a GM job - what has he done to become a major candidate ?"

I'm not against Hahn at all - obviously St. Louis feels he's qualified, but it's hard to find concrete answers to this question.

As did Pittsburgh. I'm not sure anyone outside the White Sox or any other team can answer this question. However, it does appear that those inside baseball, who know more about how things get done at the White Sox, sure think he is.

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Oct 24, 2007 -> 04:29 PM)

I think because of everything I read, Hahn doesn't get the blame. He is the guy who is primarily responsible for contract negotitations and initial contacts for potential trade partners. The biggest Sox failings, such as the farm system, aren't stuff that falls under his umbrella. When you look at the things have have been attributed to Hahn, he has done a damned fine job. Seriously think about the contracts he got for guys like Konerko and Buehrle, not to mention the initial AJ, Iguchi, and Dye deals. He does a great job of signing guys to marketable deals.

I think because of everything I read, Hahn doesn't get the blame. He is the guy who is primarily responsible for contract negotitations and initial contacts for potential trade partners. The biggest Sox failings, such as the farm system, aren't stuff that falls under his umbrella. When you look at the things have have been attributed to Hahn, he has done a damned fine job. Seriously think about the contracts he got for guys like Konerko and Buehrle, not to mention the initial AJ, Iguchi, and Dye deals. He does a great job of signing guys to marketable deals.

Well, they have all taken the blame for the disaster which was 2007, every one of them, from Reinsdorf on down, including Hahn.

Actually the farm system does fall under his umbrella. Quoted from his bio on the White Sox site:

"Hahn’s primary responsibilities include assisting Senior Vice President/General Manager Ken Williams with all player acquisitions, evaluations and contract negotiations, as well as with overseeing all elements of the club’s baseball operations, including the scouting and player development departments. Williams credits Hahn with negotiating multiyear contracts with several current White Sox players, including 2006 All-Stars Mark Buehrle, Jose Contreras, Jermaine Dye, Paul Konerko and A.J. Pierzynski."

What is fair to note though is he was promoted to Vice President and Asst. GM from just the Asst. GM title before the 2007 season. I'm not certain but I believe the oversee responsibility of the scouting and player development departments were added last winter. If my memory is correct, he's only had that responsibility for one year. I do know he's been a strong voice to make changes to scouting and player development, many of which are being implemented now, plus we all know about Duane Shaffer and some other changes.

So, not to quibble at all, but because he's been a big part of what's going on down there, he does IMO get his share of the blame. I do agree though, he has done a fantastic job on the contract side and if he is in fact a motivating force behind changes in scouting/player development, more power to him.

Not to mention, his Harvard Law degree and other things on his resume are extremely impressive. Anyone who I've talked to that's met Rick is very impressed. I have been lucky enough to meet him several times and in addition to being impressive (what he knows and how he expresses himself), he is a genuinely nice guy, for what that's worth. I can see why other teams would be interested.

Edited by 29andPoplar

QUOTE(29andPoplar @ Oct 25, 2007 -> 09:45 AM)
Well, they have all taken the blame for the disaster which was 2007, every one of them, from Reinsdorf on down, including Hahn.

Actually the farm system does fall under his umbrella. Quoted from his bio on the White Sox site:

"Hahn’s primary responsibilities include assisting Senior Vice President/General Manager Ken Williams with all player acquisitions, evaluations and contract negotiations, as well as with overseeing all elements of the club’s baseball operations, including the scouting and player development departments. Williams credits Hahn with negotiating multiyear contracts with several current White Sox players, including 2006 All-Stars Mark Buehrle, Jose Contreras, Jermaine Dye, Paul Konerko and A.J. Pierzynski."

What is fair to note though is he was promoted to Vice President and Asst. GM from just the Asst. GM title before the 2007 season. I'm not certain but I believe the oversee responsibility of the scouting and player development departments were added last winter. If my memory is correct, he's only had that responsibility for one year. I do know he's been a strong voice to make changes to scouting and player development, many of which are being implemented now, plus we all know about Duane Shaffer and some other changes.

So, not to quibble at all, but because he's been a big part of what's going on down there, he does IMO get his share of the blame. I do agree though, he has done a fantastic job on the contract side and if he is in fact a motivating force behind changes in scouting/player development, more power to him.

Not to mention, his Harvard Law degree and other things on his resume are extremely impressive. Anyone who I've talked to that's met Rick is very impressed. I have been lucky enough to meet him several times and in addition to being impressive (what he knows and how he expresses himself), he is a genuinely nice guy, for what that's worth. I can see why other teams would be interested.

Doesn't LaRussa have a Harvard law degree?

As far as contract negotiations, the guys wanting to stay and come here is the first thing which I think is more Williams and Guillen than Hahn. The extensions worked for both teams and all appear to be fair.

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Oct 25, 2007 -> 12:37 PM)

As far as contract negotiations, the guys wanting to stay and come here is the first thing which I think is more Williams and Guillen than Hahn. The extensions worked for both teams and all appear to be fair.

Depends on what you mean by "fair". A guy like Mark Buehrle could have taken more years and more money in this years free agent market. The Sox could have jumped at his first offer and signed him to a much bigger contract than he did end up signing.

LaRussa's law degree is from Florida State per Vance Law, and I agree Rick Hahn would have little to do with players (free agents or free agents to be) wanting to come here or stay here. Players generally get a feel for that stuff from other players and knowing what the manager is like. Hahn is the primary guy who takes that level of interest and puts wheels to it, i.e. by developing a contract, negotiating, "selling" the city and franchise if it needs to be done. That's the aspect of recruiting I'm touching upon. In a good front office, several guys are trained and able to do that sort of thing. Guillen does a lot of recruiting too, mostly by the seat of his pants.

I did not mean to diminish Williams' or Guillen's role in the organization as it pertains to recruiting, retention, negotiations/contracts in KW's case ... just pointing out what Hahn does in response to questions in this thread, and also stating that in my opinion he is very valuable to the White Sox front office and will be big shoes to fill if he leaves.

Also, as an update of sorts to this Hahn/Cardinals thing, a blog I like to read about the Cardinals, Viva El Birdos, seems to think their new GM will be the Cleveland guy, Chris Antonetti. They are basing it on the timing and some things LaRussa said when he re-upped.

Edited by 29andPoplar

QUOTE(29andPoplar @ Oct 25, 2007 -> 04:44 PM)
LaRussa's law degree is from Florida State per Vance Law, and I agree Rick Hahn would have little to do with players (free agents or free agents to be) wanting to come here or stay here. Players generally get a feel for that stuff from other players and knowing what the manager is like. Hahn is the primary guy who takes that level of interest and puts wheels to it, i.e. by developing a contract, negotiating, "selling" the city and franchise if it needs to be done. That's the aspect of recruiting I'm touching upon. In a good front office, several guys are trained and able to do that sort of thing. Guillen does a lot of recruiting too, mostly by the seat of his pants.

I did not mean to diminish Williams' or Guillen's role in the organization as it pertains to recruiting, retention, negotiations/contracts in KW's case ... just pointing out what Hahn does in response to questions in this thread, and also stating that in my opinion he is very valuable to the White Sox front office and will be big shoes to fill if he leaves.

Also, as an update of sorts to this Hahn/Cardinals thing, a blog I like to read about the Cardinals, Viva El Birdos, seems to think their new GM will be the Cleveland guy, Chris Antonetti. They are basing it on the timing and some things LaRussa said when he re-upped.

Actually what hahn brings to the front office is a stable smart figure, unlike Guillen or Williams. I do believe they(oz and KW) should be the draw to get players interested but hahn brings some intelligence to the equation. I believe he will be missed if he leaves.

QUOTE(quickman @ Oct 25, 2007 -> 08:23 PM)
Actually what hahn brings to the front office is a stable smart figure, unlike Guillen or Williams. I do believe they(oz and KW) should be the draw to get players interested but hahn brings some intelligence to the equation. I believe he will be missed if he leaves.

Exactly. From what I've heard, Hahn is more the brains behind the operation. He is a key role is establishing a plan and helping KW execute it. I wouldn't underestimate his value.

Bob

QUOTE(spiderman @ Oct 31, 2007 -> 09:13 PM)
Why do you want Jenkins ?

Because I think he can be had at a decent price, and he fills a need for us. He's a plus defending outfielder who can hit for power and put up an 800-ish OPS. If Crede is not healthy or is traded in ST, then Jenkins slips nicely into LF with Fields at 3B. Or if Crede stays but PK goes, Fields to 1B and Jenkins in LF. Or, and I don't know how possible this is, since Jenkins is a very good defensive LF, maybe he can play CF. Point is, depending on how the offseason and ST shake out, having an outfielder who can put up those numbers and play solid D would be huge - and he can probably be had for significantly less than Rowand, Hunter or other names being talked about for the outfield.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 1, 2007 -> 08:04 AM)
Because I think he can be had at a decent price, and he fills a need for us. He's a plus defending outfielder who can hit for power and put up an 800-ish OPS. If Crede is not healthy or is traded in ST, then Jenkins slips nicely into LF with Fields at 3B. Or if Crede stays but PK goes, Fields to 1B and Jenkins in LF. Or, and I don't know how possible this is, since Jenkins is a very good defensive LF, maybe he can play CF. Point is, depending on how the offseason and ST shake out, having an outfielder who can put up those numbers and play solid D would be huge - and he can probably be had for significantly less than Rowand, Hunter or other names being talked about for the outfield.

If he were cheap, I agree he wouldn't be bad to have, but I would rather see the Sox get someone who can rake lefties.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Nov 1, 2007 -> 07:16 AM)
If he were cheap, I agree he wouldn't be bad to have, but I would rather see the Sox get someone who can rake lefties.

Well, there are quite a few strong RH hitters in the lineup as it stands now (PK, Fields, Crede, Dye), but if a couple of those take off, then I agree that should be a consideration.