Two more Dominican Republic signings

29andPoplar

Two more signings reported out of the Dominican Republic, I know nothing about them but here are the names,

SS Alexander Adame, 16; SS Daurys Mercedes, 17.

These were reported by Baseball America. My experience with Baseball America in terms of these signings (and I could very well be wrong) is they report signings with 6 figure bonus amounts, generally. Lots of the low dollar signings don't get reported. Also, they rely on teams to tell them who they've signed. Meaning, they follow up with the teams and ask who they've signed during the "traditional" int'l signing period which is roughly the months of July and August. Again, I could be totally wrong but I see all sorts of players from the DR, Venezuela, Columbia, etc. etc. on team's organizational lists that were never reported by Baseball America.

Their list says this is all the signings but I believe it's not. I believe it's all the signings a team reports in response to their inquiries.

Either way I'm glad they posted a list of this nature as I do not recall them doing this before, but maybe I've missed it. I am a subscriber and have been in Will Lingo's ear for a while, asking them to do a better job of providing information on int'l signings.

Edited by 29andPoplar

Now what is most interesting to me here, the 3 guys that we have signed, they all are Shortstops.

I think KW has seen the lack of talent in the minors at this position, and with these signings, he's trying to do something about it.

And if we're going to draft a LOT of pitching in the early rounds, so long as we can sign these type of positional prospects from regions such as Latin America, it's certainly not a bad strategy at all.

At least I have more faith in our minor league operations than I have since I've been part of this site for almost 5 years.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Oct 20, 2007 -> 07:56 PM)
Now what is most interesting to me here, the 3 guys that we have signed, they all are Shortstops.

I think KW has seen the lack of talent in the minors at this position, and with these signings, he's trying to do something about it.

And if we're going to draft a LOT of pitching in the early rounds, so long as we can sign these type of positional prospects from regions such as Latin America, it's certainly not a bad strategy at all.

At least I have more faith in our minor league operations than I have since I've been part of this site for almost 5 years.

And if he can play shortstop, there's a good likelyhood he can play CF or 2B as well.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Oct 20, 2007 -> 07:56 PM)

I'd say that is has more to do with athleticism and projectibility. You're not going to give big signing bonus to an immobile defender that's already relegated themselves to 1B at age 16.

In fact, a majority of the international signings are SS or P. If you can play SS, you can be moved down the defensive spectrum. It's difficult, and extremely rare, to go the opposite direction.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Oct 21, 2007 -> 02:02 PM)
I'd say that is has more to do with athleticism and projectibility. You're not going to give big signing bonus to an immobile defender that's already relegated themselves to 1B at age 16.

In fact, a majority of the international signings are SS or P. If you can play SS, you can be moved down the defensive spectrum. It's difficult, and extremely rare, to go the opposite direction.

Oh yeah I don't disagree with that at all. But I mean those 2 other positions wite talked about 2B and CF, we're not exactly loaded there either. It's why this should only be a start, we need more signings like this.

But best case scenario, these guys can stick at SS for the future.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Oct 20, 2007 -> 11:59 PM)
Oh yeah I don't disagree with that at all. But I mean those 2 other positions wite talked about 2B and CF, we're not exactly loaded there either. It's why this should only be a start, we need more signings like this.

See whitesoxfan comment. If you can play shortstop, you can probably play any position. At age 16, the best player, the most athletic, etc is probably going to be at shortstop. If you've got 2 guys who are 16 and can play in the middle infield, the better of the two is going to have been put at shortstop. Now with these 3 signings, the players all being on the same farm team, I would assume they'll see time at 2B and CF as well.

Edited by Vance Law

QUOTE(BearSox @ Oct 22, 2007 -> 03:36 AM)
I think we can rule out SS as our first round draft pick next year.

Why? You don't draft on need. If the best player available at eight is a SS (consensus, no question), I don't care if you have Jose Reyes in the system with Brandon Wood behind him -- I'm still taking that SS. If you end up having a logjam at the spot, that will be a good problem to have.

Why? You don't draft on need. If the best player available at eight is a SS (consensus, no question), I don't care if you have Jose Reyes in the system with Brandon Wood behind him -- I'm still taking that SS. If you end up having a logjam at the spot, that will be a good problem to have.

Completely agree. Too many good SS in the org. is a good problem to have. These Dominican signings, while promising on the surface, are always a longshot and at age 16 are a long ways away.

QUOTE(WHITESOXRANDY @ Oct 22, 2007 -> 08:55 AM)
This is exactly what this organization needs to be doing.

If you don't play the free agent market and you don't draft well, then it's imperative that you concentrate on international signings and player development. Keep going throughout Latin America !

There have been problems drafting, but in my mind, player development is by far the biggest cause of concern within the organization. Brian Anderson had the potential to be a Torii Hunter player, but the White Sox organization only properly trained him to be a AAA quality player.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Oct 22, 2007 -> 11:18 AM)
There have been problems drafting, but in my mind, player development is by far the biggest cause of concern within the organization. Brian Anderson had the potential to be a Torii Hunter player, but the White Sox organization only properly trained him to be a AAA quality player.

You may be right, but I'm not so sure it wasn't just BA thinking he was the s***.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Oct 21, 2007 -> 11:59 PM)

I have a feeling the organization will focus on mainly pitching throughout the draft. And your forgetting, this is the White Sox, we don't do things like they should be done....

Edited by BearSox