2007-08 NBA Thread

Brian

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Jan 12, 2008 -> 05:31 PM)
My sister in law claims she heard on the radio that the Bulls dealt Wallace/Thomas/Gordon for McGrady. Anyone heard anything like this?

She's probably nuts.

One of my friends called me saying his girlfriend called him saying she heard the Bulls traded Wallace and their 1st Rd pick for McGrady. They were probably just talking about trade ideas or something. Although there have been McGrady whispers recently.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Jan 12, 2008 -> 05:46 PM)
One of my friends called me saying his girlfriend called him saying she heard the Bulls traded Wallace and their 1st Rd pick for McGrady. They were probably just talking about trade ideas or something. Although there have been McGrady whispers recently.

On another board someone said Wallace/Tyrus/2nd rounder is a done deal... no word on the net, but supposedly it's going to be announced Monday?

I find it odd that my sister-in-law would hear this and this other person would hear the exact same deal as it being done, yet no word on the net.

IMO, This tells me that a. The Tyrus pick was basically a mistake/trade bait, b. Wallace signing was a bust/didn't go to plan. I'm one of Tyrus biggest fans (damn shame that the horrid Hinrich stays but there isn't anyone out there who you can say is an impact PG thats avaliable) but if you get a T-Mac, (despite his legs being 33-35yrs.+) see ya. But I'm hoping it's just Wallace/2nd rounder or Wallace + rounder + Gordon (who makes the most sense to go) We'll see if this is true.

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Jan 12, 2008 -> 07:25 PM)
IMO, This tells me that a. The Tyrus pick was basically a mistake/trade bait, b. Wallace signing was a bust/didn't go to plan. I'm one of Tyrus biggest fans (damn shame that the horrid Hinrich stays but there isn't anyone out there who you can say is an impact PG thats avaliable) but if you get a T-Mac, (despite his legs being 33-35yrs.+) see ya. But I'm hoping it's just Wallace/2nd rounder or Wallace + rounder + Gordon (who makes the most sense to go) We'll see if this is true.

John Paxson has no balls, so I'm sure nothing will happen. The only trade he can make is sending Tyson for nothing and swapping Aldridge for Tyrus.

2 losses.

Alright, I'll give him a win on Deng and a break even on Curry... Curry could have been a huge win if he just keeps Aldridge.

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Jan 12, 2008 -> 07:25 PM)

What's McGrady's contract status? I'm ecstatic to get rid of Wallace. I'm shocked someone would actually want him. I guess playing along side Yao will better suit Wallace, but he looks done.

Half a season from McGrady and we're a better team than we are currently. As long as McGrady is healthy come playoff time each season, I don't care if he player 40-50 games each season. That should be enough to get us into the playoffs each season.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Jan 12, 2008 -> 07:34 PM)
John Paxson has no balls, so I'm sure nothing will happen. The only trade he can make is sending Tyson for nothing and swapping Aldridge for Tyrus.

2 losses.

Alright, I'll give him a win on Deng and a break even on Curry... Curry could have been a huge win if he just keeps Aldridge.

IMO, Tyson's contract was more of a loss. He wasn't worth the $$ he got so moving him alone is a win. I still can't believe that people think Tyson's numbers now were gonna be the ones he would have put up for the Bulls. He just couldn't do it. Not to mention he's now playing for the best young PG in the game (arguably the best PG in the nba not named Nash/Kidd) who makes his teammates better. (Tyson wasn't gonna do a damn thing with Hinrich running the point) The Tyrus pick I loved just cause of his potential, but in some instances, I hated it cause we need lost post help (Tyrus might be miles ahead of LaMarcus in potential, but LaMarcus would have helped us with the little things we needed and would have been a solid player and a better piece to the puzzle than Tyrus)

Hell, we might still lose Deng (just take the damn contract mr. injury prone Luol)

If over the past few seasons are biggest needs were big men and still are and we went out and did Wallace/Tyrus/2nd whatever I would not get this trade. I am also a pretty big fan of Tyrus as he can get the adrenaline pumping, but I would be happy to get rid of Wallace, but would we then have to start Gray. Gray has been great in the minutes he gets, imo, but would he be suitable to get that position, or would we go with a small rotation team of Smith/Nocioni/McGrady/Deng/Hinrich and then have Duhon, Gordon, Noah, Gray come off the bench. I think we would have to keep Tyrus, even if that means no deal, unless we got something with McGrady which would not happen. Give them Wallace/Thabo/1st heh

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Jan 12, 2008 -> 03:40 PM)
Regardless, Andrew Bynum isn't even in the same area code. Of those four you listed above, the only one I'd arguably place in Paul's league is Dwight Howard (just in his ability to dominate).

Wade is always injured... Boozer benefits from thea forementioned Deron Williams, and Melo just flat out doesn't change the game all that much.

Did you see Bynum last night against Bogut? 25 points, 17 boards, 10 of 13 from the field, 3 blocks, that's a very nice line.

Now granted he's only averaging 13 points a game, but early in the season Kwame Brown was starting.

He's averagin 18.8 / 12.8 this month. I look for that to be the norm for the rest of the season.

He's certainly not as good as Paul is ATM. But with the footwork that Bynum has and quickness, he's basically a mini Shaq just like Dwight.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jan 13, 2008 -> 01:03 AM)
Did you see Bynum last night against Bogut? 25 points, 17 boards, 10 of 13 from the field, 3 blocks, that's a very nice line.

Now granted he's only averaging 13 points a game, but early in the season Kwame Brown was starting.

He's averagin 18.8 / 12.8 this month. I look for that to be the norm for the rest of the season.

He's certainly not as good as Paul is ATM. But with the footwork that Bynum has and quickness, he's basically a mini Shaq just like Dwight.

Dude, Andrew Bynum is not a "mini Shaq just like Dwight." Dwight Howard I don't even compare to Shaq because his athleticism is world's above. Bynum would need to add about 75 lbs of muscle to be considered on Dwight's level. Bynum is nice, but I'm not taking him over Al Jefferson still.

He's one of the better young centers in the NBA, but our comparison was value vs. Chris Paul, who is a top 5 talent in the league and arguably top 3.

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Jan 12, 2008 -> 07:52 PM)
IMO, Tyson's contract was more of a loss. He wasn't worth the $$ he got so moving him alone is a win. I still can't believe that people think Tyson's numbers now were gonna be the ones he would have put up for the Bulls. He just couldn't do it. Not to mention he's now playing for the best young PG in the game (arguably the best PG in the nba not named Nash/Kidd) who makes his teammates better. (Tyson wasn't gonna do a damn thing with Hinrich running the point) The Tyrus pick I loved just cause of his potential, but in some instances, I hated it cause we need lost post help (Tyrus might be miles ahead of LaMarcus in potential, but LaMarcus would have helped us with the little things we needed and would have been a solid player and a better piece to the puzzle than Tyrus)

Hell, we might still lose Deng (just take the damn contract mr. injury prone Luol)

Dude, Tyson was TWENTY THREE years old when we dealt him. There was no question that his career was still on the upswing. I said it when we traded him that it was a mistake. Even at 23 with Skiles dicking him around (26 sporadic minutes a game) he was average 5.3 points, 9 boards, and nearly 1.5 blocks per game while fighting through back issues. The year before Tyson (as a 22 year old) average 8 points, 10 boards, and two blocks per game... not far from what he's doing now.

With the natural aging process of bulking up and getting larger, Tyson has become a force, but to say he didn't have this in him when in 27 minutes he was already average 8 points, 10 boards, and 2 blocks, assuming that in 10 more minutes a game he'd get up to 12.3 points and 11.9 boards is not a stretch at all... in fact its just his numbers from 04-05 expanded over 10 more minutes.

Seriously, I'd still much rather have the 24-25 year old doing exactly what we wanted Wallace to do at a much lower salary than have moved Tyson just to sign Ben Wallace. If we keep Tyson and draft LaMarcus Aldridge (and keep him), we're top 3 team in the East this year.

One thing I think nobody would argue is the statment we've heard the last several years about the big man in the NBA being dead is starting to look grossly inaccurate with some of the young bigs in the league right now, hell even Chris Kaman has been borderline unstoppable this year with the numbers he's put up without even having Elton Brand to help him.

QUOTE(knightni @ Jan 13, 2008 -> 03:01 PM)
Fixed.

true, however I have to encompass southern illinois sports in that assessment as well. And nothing has been more dissapointing to me this year than SIU Mens Basketball

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Jan 13, 2008 -> 09:57 AM)
Dude, Andrew Bynum is not a "mini Shaq just like Dwight." Dwight Howard I don't even compare to Shaq because his athleticism is world's above. Bynum would need to add about 75 lbs of muscle to be considered on Dwight's level. Bynum is nice, but I'm not taking him over Al Jefferson still.

He's one of the better young centers in the NBA, but our comparison was value vs. Chris Paul, who is a top 5 talent in the league and arguably top 3.

I agree on the Paul point, and it's not really that close. Even if Bynum does become the next Howard, Paul has a bigger impact. 20 points/10 rebound guys are hard to find, but 20 points/10 assists guys are HARDER to find. It's only been done in a season 6 times since 89-90, and so far Paul is doing it in his 3rd year.

However, Bynum is listed at 7'0" 275. I seriously doubt he needs to add 75 pounds of muscle for anything.

Also, until he improves his defense, Bynum is going to have a good chance to be a better player than Jefferson, and you know how much I like Big Al. Right now he's basically a better version of Zach Randolph: a guy that puts up great numbers as the only offensive threat on a bad team but doesn't help your win total a whole lot.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Jan 13, 2008 -> 06:43 PM)
Hey hey don't forget Rashad McCants :-).

You and your damn Tar Heels. :P

Yeah, alright, McCants is averaging 15 a game on a little under 13 shots, that's fairly good. I have a hard time seeing him as more than a 3rd, maybe 4th option on a good team though. And after him it drops off precipitously to guys like Craig Smith and Ryan Gomes, and then even farther to Sebastian Telfair, Antoine Walker and Marco Jaric.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Jan 13, 2008 -> 06:49 PM)
You and your damn Tar Heels. :P

Yeah, alright, McCants is averaging 15 a game on a little under 13 shots, that's fairly good. I have a hard time seeing him as more than a 3rd, maybe 4th option on a good team though. And after him it drops off precipitously to guys like Craig Smith and Ryan Gomes, and then even farther to Sebastian Telfair, Antoine Walker and Marco Jaric.

Too bad McCants can't hit free throws. He's the Eddy Curry of guards.

Inmates running the asylum?

link

Noah is given peer penalty by Bulls

Bulls vote to sit rookie extra game after tirade

By K.C. Johnson

Tribune staff reporter

January 13, 2008, 10:26 PM CST

ATLANTA -- In a stunning move, Bulls players voted to increase Joakim Noah's discipline for verbally abusing assistant coach Ron Adams at Friday's morning shootaround in Philadelphia, forcing the rookie to miss Sunday's 105-84 loss to the Hawks.

Several Bulls, speaking on condition of anonymity, said the vote was unanimous.

A shellshocked Noah, who, according to sources, snapped when Adams kept riding him for forgetting plays, paused several times to compose himself while discussing his teammates' decision to urge coaches to sit him for one more game.

"I mean, I've just got to accept it," said Noah, 22. "What do you want me to say? I'm a rookie. ... I mean, it is what it is. I've just got to move on, and there's nothing I can do about it. So ..."

On Friday in Philadelphia, interim coach Jim Boylan said Noah's punishment would last only one game. Noah said his teammates' decision to lengthen the penalty wouldn't affect his relationship with them, but he talked around whether he agreed with it.

"Ask the players who made the decision," Noah said after sitting behind the Bulls' bench in street clothes for the second straight game. "Do I agree with it? That doesn't matter or make a difference. I respect my teammates and respect their opinions and stuff like that. They told me what I did was unacceptable. I just have to deal with it and move on."

Veterans Adrian Griffin and Ben Wallace called for the vote, which took place after Saturday's practice at Georgia Tech. Several players said Griffin, a quiet leader who served as a Bulls captain in the 2004-05 season, was particularly unhappy over the incident.

"We have a chance to salvage this season and we just need everybody on page," Griffin said. "We believe he's on page with us. It's one of those things that I believe will bring us closer. We just have to move on.

"Everybody on this team knows what Joakim can do. The players are supportive of each other and supportive of Joakim. We look forward to getting him back on the court."

Wallace has had several high-profile run-ins with coaches, including refusing to re-enter a game for Flip Saunders with the Pistons and last season's defiance of the Bulls' rule banning headbands. Yet Wallace said Noah's transgression crossed the line and demanded teammates' action because it became personal.

"I understand frustrations with coaches," Wallace said. "But you can never take it to that level where you overstep the coach-player relationship and talk to a grown man like that. I might not like you as a coach, but I have to respect you as a man.

"We have to be responsible for each other. We're together all the time. We feel we're becoming a close-knit group and a family-type atmosphere. It's up to us to hold everybody accountable for his own actions."

Noah's actions include habitual tardiness, for which he has been fined. Boylan acknowledged that the players' decision addressed a host of transgressions.

"This has been building during the course of the season because Joe has had some situations where he's been late or not doing what the Chicago Bulls do," Boylan said. "I think the cumulative aspect of this is definitely part of the reasoning for the players doing what they did.

"Joakim is a great kid. He really is. He's got a good heart and wants to help his team. He just needs to realize that this isn't college anymore. He needs to follow the rules that are set down for everyone.

"I think the veteran players, by doing what they've done, are going to help him see that. He'll make the proper adjustments because in his heart he wants to help the team. This is a good lesson for him."

When general manager John Paxson drafted Noah out of Florida in June, Paxson talked about Noah's gregarious nature and over-the-top personality injecting life into a serious, often staid team. Paxson even predicted Noah occasionally would cross the line with outlandish comments.

Earlier this season, former coach Scott Skiles said the rookie should "keep his mouth shut" on team matters. Skiles was joking, but the incident clearly affected Noah.

The question is whether Noah's third public admonishment will affect that personality.

"I don't think he's going to lose his personality," Boylan said. "In the moment, he's a little more subdued, his emotions are a little raw. I had a discussion with him about it and said if I was in his position, I would feel that way also.

"This isn't college anymore. It's the NBA, it's pro sports. You're dealing with more mature, older people. It's an adjustment period for him. The team has sent a message to him, and I think he's smart enough to know what he needs to do without losing the part of what we like about him, and that's his zest for life and his enthusiasm."

Adams declined to comment. It didn't matter. The players spoke volumes for him.

"We appreciate the way Joakim has handled it," Wallace said. "He's said he would sit out and learn from his mistakes. That's all we ask of him, just learn from what he did and know it wasn't right. He's going to bounce back because we need him out there on the floor."

[email protected]

Copyright © 2008, The Chicago Tribune

I hate this f***ing team.