2007-08 NBA Thread

Brian

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Feb 3, 2008 -> 04:12 PM)
What happens if Shaq retires say at the end of this season, in terms of does that team still have to pay him, but does it still count against the cap?

Isnt PJ Brown still getting paid on his expiring contract that is still tradeable? In terms of it counting against the cap, i dont know if there is an exemption for retired players

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Feb 3, 2008 -> 05:12 PM)
What happens if Shaq retires say at the end of this season, in terms of does that team still have to pay him, but does it still count against the cap?

I believe "yes" on both accounts.

Allen Houston haunted the Knicks for years.

How long does Shaq have left on his deal then?

IIRC, Phoenix gets Atlanta's pick at the end of this season. They may look to replace Marion with a SF/PF there, and then use Shaq in the middle, but they couldn't really play up-tempo anymore.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Feb 3, 2008 -> 02:19 PM)
Isnt PJ Brown still getting paid on his expiring contract that is still tradeable? In terms of it counting against the cap, i dont know if there is an exemption for retired players

As I understand it, no he's not getting paid. He's sitting around somewhere essentially retired. But, if the Bulls felt the urge, they still have the rights to sign him to a deal & use his contract to match some other player's contract in a sign and trade because they held his rights last year. If he wanted to play, he could also sign with some other team right now.

In terms of Shaq, if he retired, I believe that ends his contract with the Heat and he loses the money. Hence, he has zero motivation to retire. If he spends all his time on the bench, or on the injured list, he still gets paid.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Feb 3, 2008 -> 11:03 PM)
As I understand it, no he's not getting paid. He's sitting around somewhere essentially retired. But, if the Bulls felt the urge, they still have the rights to sign him to a deal & use his contract to match some other player's contract in a sign and trade because they held his rights last year. If he wanted to play, he could also sign with some other team right now.

In terms of Shaq, if he retired, I believe that ends his contract with the Heat and he loses the money. Hence, he has zero motivation to retire. If he spends all his time on the bench, or on the injured list, he still gets paid.

All very true and like you said Shaq isn't retiring with $40+ million waiting for him

I'm done with Reinsdorf as Bulls chairman. Had he approved the Tyrus/Noc deal (as rumored before and confirmed in THIS article) the Bulls lineup looks much better, but it would have also allowed Pax the opportunity to move Wallace to the Lakers who were holding out for Gasol.

C Noah (assuming the Wallace deal below)

PF Gasol

SF Deng

SG Gordon

PG Hinrich

Had they done that it would have blocked the Lakers from Gasol as well, thus forcing them to take Wallace for cap relief at season’s end (with the rumored Kwame+ return). We’d have been very good this year and with the available cash from the Wallace deal by letting kwame go the Bulls would have been lined up to get that final piece in the offseason and match up with Orlando and Boston for best in the East.

It could have been rather easy if only Reinsdorf had been willing to do what owners in major markets that sell-out all the time are expected to do.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Feb 4, 2008 -> 11:25 AM)
I'm done with Reinsdorf as Bulls chairman. Had he approved the Tyrus/Noc deal (as rumored before and confirmed in THIS article) the Bulls lineup looks much better, but it would have also allowed Pax the opportunity to move Wallace to the Lakers who were holding out for Gasol.

C Noah (assuming the Wallace deal below)

PF Gasol

SF Deng

SG Gordon

PG Hinrich

Had they done that it would have blocked the Lakers from Gasol as well, thus forcing them to take Wallace for cap relief at season’s end (with the rumored Kwame+ return). We’d have been very good this year and with the available cash from the Wallace deal by letting kwame go the Bulls would have been lined up to get that final piece in the offseason and match up with Orlando and Boston for best in the East.

It could have been rather easy if only Reinsdorf had been willing to do what owners in major markets that sell-out all the time are expected to do.

Reinsdorf does not care about the Bulls, he views it as an invesment. He has no emotional ties with them.

QUOTE(Jimbo's Drinker @ Feb 4, 2008 -> 11:27 AM)
Reinsdorf does not care about the Bulls, he views it as an invesment. He has no emotional ties with them.

Correct, thus why he said he'd trade all 6 rings with Jordan for one World Series back in the early 2000's before the grand season. The Reinsdorf hate from Sox fans has always confused me, as he really does care, but the hate for his management of the Bulls is understandable. If Portland doesn't take Sam Bowie, Reinsdorf might be known as one of the worst owners in the NBA right now.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 4, 2008 -> 12:52 PM)
Correct, thus why he said he'd trade all 6 rings with Jordan for one World Series back in the early 2000's before the grand season. The Reinsdorf hate from Sox fans has always confused me, as he really does care, but the hate for his management of the Bulls is understandable. If Portland doesn't take Sam Bowie, Reinsdorf might be known as one of the worst owners in the NBA right now.

I have met Reinsdorf on a few occasions, the man is a gooo gooo baseball fan. He grew up a Brooklyn Dodgers lover and loves the sport of baseball.

And the Lakers probably wouldn't have wanted Wallace.

He offers nothing offensively, and wouldn't be a great fit in the triangle.

That rumor was just Sam Smith making up something on the fly again as he always does.

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Feb 4, 2008 -> 02:16 PM)
I'd take Ben Wallace on the Jazz, but the Jazz probably don't have anything to give up for him. Boozer and Williams are staying in Utah.

Kirilenko's salary matches with Wallace's straight up. The Bulls really can't include anything more without getting someone else back though.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Feb 4, 2008 -> 04:17 PM)
Kirilenko's salary matches with Wallace's straight up. The Bulls really can't include anything more without getting someone else back though.

That'd be an interesting trade. Kirilenko kind of like the jack of all trades, master of none, except shot blocking. Wallace is 33 and Kirilenko is 26, so I don't know how well the Jazz would be up for trading for Wallace especially since it sounds like Kirilenko seems to be "ok" with his role. It's fun to think about trades though.

And I think Sloan actually wants a defensive big next to Okur, who doesn't really like doing those "dirty" things.

So that's probably the Bulls best option if they wanted to dump Wallace.

Do Kirilenko and Deng fit as the SF/PF's though?

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Feb 4, 2008 -> 02:29 PM)
Do Kirilenko and Deng fit as the SF/PF's though?

I think that deal might require the Bulls have to find a way to move either Deng or Noc, because they'd be right back in the "not enough minutes for the players they have" slot that they're in now, just at a different position. That'd clear out more C/PF playing time for Tyrus and Noah which is good, but that'd put a constant small lineup out there in order to get minutes for those 3, which is bad.

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Feb 4, 2008 -> 02:37 PM)
That's hard to say. Kirilenko is kind of a hybrid forward. I'd say he's a bigger SF than a PF but I'm sure he could play PF if he had to. He just has a small body frame that would have to go up against other bigger guys.

The problem is, the Bulls already like to go with that hybrid/small lineup and use guys like Noc, Thabo, and Deng, to give them that smaller lineup. Bringing in Kirilenko would pretty much mean that they'd have to always play like that just to give guys minutes. I don't think you can do it successfully with that roster unless you move someone.

I dont know if anyone has posted it, but Shaq appears to be heading to Phoenix on Wednesday for a physical and then that will make him officially part of the Suns. Heat would get back Marion and Banks. Good deal for Heat, crazy down low men for the Suns but Marion has wanted out for a while so I guess this is them doing what they felt right, though I am sure another team could have used a small forward shooting, dunking, rebounding player.

if we want to throw links out there -- http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3232862

Edited by JFields27

2 points:

1. Deron had 29 and 11 to Paul's 6 and 6 last night as Utah beat New Orleans by 22. OUCH.

2. Kobe had more turnovers (7) than points (6) tonight, but the Lakers still won by 15 on the road. I know NJ is bad, but they are in the NBA Playoffs if they started today. If the Lakers get Bynum back healthy by late April............look out.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 5, 2008 -> 11:19 PM)
2 points:

1. Deron had 29 and 11 to Paul's 6 and 6 last night as Utah beat New Orleans by 22. OUCH.

2. Kobe had more turnovers (7) than points (6) tonight, but the Lakers still won by 15 on the road. I know NJ is bad, but they are in the NBA Playoffs if they started today. If the Lakers get Bynum back healthy by late April............look out.

I'm sure Gasol having 24 and 12 tonight helped with that 15 point win, and the fact that they played New Jersey.

So what's the logic Steve Kerr is thinking here if he acquires Shaq?

Maybe they are trying to match up with the Lakers size wise. Diaw vs. Odom, Amare vs. Gasol and Shaq vs. Bynum.

Maybe Kerr thinks they are never going to make it out of the West without a decent half court game in the playoffs and Shaq will help that.

They could always start Grant Hill against quicker lineups as well.

All depends on Shaq's health I guess.