2007-08 NBA Thread

Brian

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Feb 8, 2008 -> 03:25 PM)
I havent noticed that one bit. Gray is getting alot of playing time, Thabo is also getting tons of time, and for the first time I have actually seen TT get plays called for him specifically. I just dont see it. I would post the min increase but the injuries to the other players factors so much in them increase it wouldnt mean much of anything. I just know what i see, and I see Gray developing at a rapid pace with the increased minutes and actual post plays designed for him, I see Tyrus learning a midrange shooting touch, I see Noah becoming more effective than Big Ben.

The issue with the increased playing time for the young guys is that it seems to have come about only when the Bulls were hit with a rash of injuries. Yes, Thabo is getting playing time, but Gordon and Hinrich and Duhon have all been banged up this month. Yes, Noah and TT have gotten more minutes, but Smith sat out a few games this month. When those guys come back, i.e. Joe Smith, they still wind up getting 35-40 minutes even in back to back games.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popovich rips the Grizzlies, on record, over the Gasol deal.

Grizzlies GM Chris Wallace went on the offensive against his critics on Thursday, calling the unattributed criticism of the Pau Gasol trade from other general managers "pillow talk" and daring any league executives to go on the record against the deal.

Before Friday night's game against the Knicks, Spurs president and head coach Gregg Popovich did just that.

"What they did in Memphis is beyond comprehension," said Popovich. "There should be a trade committee that can scratch all trades that make no sense. I just wish I had been on a trade committe that oversees NBA trades. I'd like to elect myself to that committee. I would have voted no to the L.A. trade."

When told that Wallace had challenged executives to criticize the deal publicly, Popovich replied, "Well, there you go. I'm on the record."

The Gasol deal was the biggest joke of an NBA deal in some time. There wasn't anything more than financial reasons for that move and to me that isn't what a trade should be. Teams should never be allowed to purely by players in a trade and the NBA should have gotten involved.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Feb 9, 2008 -> 08:02 PM)
The Gasol deal was the biggest joke of an NBA deal in some time. There wasn't anything more than financial reasons for that move and to me that isn't what a trade should be. Teams should never be allowed to purely by players in a trade and the NBA should have gotten involved.

What can the NBA do? Nothing technically illegal happened in the trade. While I agree the trade was a joke, the NBA is setting a dangerous precedent if it were to get involved with trades that had no actual rule breaks. The best part of this is Popovich and all the other teams out west whining because this trade happened, what a bunch of babies. Shouldn't have just assumed that they wouldn't trade Gasol.

And wow, the Bulls looked atrocious tonight. Guess it was too much to ask for them to look alive 3 nights in a row.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 9, 2008 -> 10:37 PM)
And wow, the Bulls looked atrocious tonight. Guess it was too much to ask for them to look alive 3 nights in a row.

Realistically with Deng, Gordon and Hinrich out they're the worst team in the league on paper. Even Miami and Minnesota have Wade and Jefferson. Granted you can say that about any team playing without their 3 best players, but when your top three scoring options are Joe Smith, Andres Nocioni, and Thabo Sefolosha, you're in awful shape. I'm actually still amazed they beat Golden State.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

Right now that deal looks terrible for Memphis no question.

There's no instant help in that deal. Brown + Crittendon + 2 1st rounders and rights to Marc Gasol.

But they need to remake that team in the image of Marc Iavaroni's uptempo style of basketball.

They should now also have cap room to make a big acquisition in the off-season if they wish.

They could trade Mike Miller for a 1st rounder and an expiring contract.

What's the point in Memphis getting say a Nocioni + Wallace + a 1st deal for Gasol, when those players aren't going to help Memphis out of the rut they've gotten themselves into?

Might as well tear the whole thing down, get younger, get picks, get cap space, and rebuild from scratch.

Wallace for Q-Rich, Rose and Fred Jones I heard.

Depends how desperate the Bulls are to get rid of him I suppose.

One of Curry, Wallace and Randolph would have to come off the bench also which would be quite hilarious to watch.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Feb 10, 2008 -> 04:15 PM)
Wallace for Q-Rich, Rose and Fred Jones I heard.

Depends how desperate the Bulls are to get rid of him I suppose.

One of Curry, Wallace and Randolph would have to come off the bench also which would be quite hilarious to watch.

If Ben just wants to stay healthy, lose, and collect a paycheck... he's gonna love NY.

Actually, if Larry Brown was coaching New York and they had Wallace, they'd be a .500 team IMHO.

I mean he made Allen Iverson work in Philly and winning the East, because they had that big shot blocking center in Mutumbo.

But they'd have to get rid of Marbury and bring in an actual PG (Jamaal Tinsley?).

Also there are some rumors we're going after Udonis Haslem. If we acquired him, I think we could actually win the East this season.

A Howard - Haslem - Lewis - Hedo - Nelson lineup looks pretty studly.

I like Haslem a lot, he's a solid defender that can rebound and hit a mid-range jumper and score a little in the post. He's a little undersized, but still a pretty productive player. Interesting though, he's only 27, I wonder what it'd take to get him?

Edited by ZoomSlowik

As a Heat fan, I would trade Haslem to the Magic for their 1st, Garrity, and Redick.

Would save the Heat some salary, gain a rotation player in Redick and a late 1st round draft pick. Haslem is solid though.

Anyone want Ricky Davis or Jason Williams? :-)

Hmm I would certainly look at that deal for sure.

Those players mentioned now aren't a part of our rotation, and our 1st rounder is only going to be in the 20's this season most likely. How well did Haslem play under SVG palehosefan?

I heard Riley had an interest in Redick because of his shooting ability, and being a possible replacement for Kapono.

Williams I would offer to Memphis for Miller and Lowry (throw in a future 1st, or something else etc.). As an $8M expiring contract, he should certainly have some value (although he's likely headed to Orlando in the off-season, since Arroyo is gone, and they may possibly deal Nelson and have a Williams / Dooling combo at PG).

Ricky Davis I think you're stuck with. That was just a horrible deal by Riley. Yes Walker is not good, but now you're stuck with Blount and Davis for another 2-3 seasons.

Haslem played well under Van Gundy, he seemed to enjoy the up-tempo style, as did I. I think it would be a pretty fair deal for both sides, especially when you consider Miami's "retooling" effort.

Williams I would offer to Memphis for Miller and Lowry

Riley was really interested in Crittenton when he came out, so I would best he would offer Williams and a future 1st for Miller and Crittenton.

Another option might be trading Williams and a 1st round pick to the Sixers for Andre Miller.

Ricky Davis I think you're stuck with. That was just a horrible deal by Riley. Yes Walker is not good, but now you're stuck with Blount and Davis for another 2-3 seasons.

Thankfully Ricky is a FA to be this offseason as well. Not sure what could be had here.

A few rumors;

Mike Miller To Miami?: Pencil Mike Miller as the next guy traded, or so he believes. Miller has told people close to him that he fully expects to be traded before the Feb. 21st trade deadline, and according to sources close to the situation it's likely going to be to Miami for Jason Williams' ending contract or Ricky Davis depending on who you talk to. Nothing is ever done until it's done, but if Miami does trigger the deal, the HEAT will have radically improved themselves without ever hitting free agency. Why would Memphis consider such a move? Word is the Grizz would get cash from Miami in the deal and ultimately buyout Jason shedding yet another guaranteed deal and setting up the Grizz to be one of the biggest players in free agency (and likely Chicago's biggest nemesis in keeping Ben Gordon). The HEAT are not the only team with eyes for Mike Miller, there are other suitors (Miller could be Dallas' fallback plan). It seems if the HEAT and Grizz are serious about a deal, there doesn't appear to be much in the way of it happening before the 21st.

Something For Nothing: There has been a lot said this week about the Magic and their quest to add some size before the post season. The reality is the Magic are flawed. They are terribly flawed because without Tony Battie, the Magic cannot seem to stop anyone in the paint. Chalk it up to guys out of position or too much offense on the floor, but the Magic need some beef and they know it. Otis Smith is as coy as they come about making deals, he never shows his cards and almost no one knows what he's really thinking – anyone who claims to know what Otis is working on or willing to do is crazy, Otis doesn't work that way. What has surfaced is other teams saying they have gotten calls. The HEAT have gotten calls on Udonis Haslem, the Magic would love to have him, but so would a few other teams namely New Jersey, New York, Houston and Washington. The Magic have the pieces – it's going to take JJ Redick leaving in any discussion involving Udonis – Mark Blount could be had for peanuts, but Udonis would have to yield a real piece. The Magic would likely have to cash in a draft pick or two to get Miami really talking. The Magic cannot trade their 2008 first round pick; they can draft a player and trade that player later, but NBA rules prohibit trading consecutive picks. That's not to say there isn't a deal there, because if Otis got serious the HEAT want to clear cap room especially if they are bringing in Mike Miller. The Magic won't steal Udonis from Miami for a whole bunch of reasons, but if they want him – sources close to the HEAT hint that Miami is open to talking. The easier deal to make might be Chris Wilcox from Seattle and that's not going to cost the Magic JJ Redick, just a ton of ending contracts. The Magic are looking for something for nothing, which likely rules them out of something big, but you never know what can happen at the deadline.

The Shake Up: Does anyone else feel like the Western Conference just became a huge chess game… The Lakers get Gasol… Phoenix gets Shaq… now it's Denver's move… word is they want Ron Artest, and might get him before the trade deadline… San Antonio is open to a trade, even though they got Damon Stoudamire for nothing just a few weeks ago… Houston does not seem poised for a move so they are likely out of the game… Dallas is sniffing at Jason Kidd, but they are reluctant to part with a core piece to do it… It seems that teams that stand pat in the West over the next 10 days may find themselves on the outside of the "Arms Race" that has become the NBA's Western Conference.

Since the Magic can't trade their 1st rounder for Haslem in 08, the best they could offer is Redick, Garrity and an 09 1st rounder.

We may just go after Wilcox if we can get him for simply expiring contracts.

Oh and SVG called out Dwight Howard yesterday, said he needed to focus more on defense and rebounding and not on offense. Interesting situation building up there in Orlando.

Bulls have interest in Lowry on the Grizzlies, according to Broussard

and the Knicks wanted to trade Curry and Jerome James(who is getting a lot of money in the next 2 seasons) for Ron Artest ... I just wonder why they didnt jump all over that one ... the Queens are trying to dump off Artest's contract as is and the best looking place is Denver

anyways I was at the Bulls game tonight .. that was loads of fun .. not

Lowry's more of a PG though.

Navarro's basically an undersized combo guard who can shhot the 3 very well.

Lowry would be a perfect backup PG for a LOT of teams. Could probably be a starter also.

You'd need to deal one of Hinrich and Duhon most likely though (does Duhon have an ending deal, because then it could work).