2007-08 NBA Thread

Brian

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Feb 17, 2008 -> 11:33 AM)
Eh, I'm beginning to think the fix is in for every dunk contest. There was last year. The year before that was the garbage when Iguodala got screwed. And this year, they were clearly hyping Howard for the win throughout the entire contest. Granted, I believe he deserved to win this year, but it wasn't as open-and-shut as they made it out to be. Plus, the Superman dunk wasn't even a dunk. He actually only jumped about 3 feet (although he did jump very high) and threw the ball in. I'm glad the homerun derby doesn't count long foul balls and high warning track shots as homers.

While I agree that it wasn't really a dunk, it was entertaining as all hell, and when I saw the replay of him gunning the ball into the rim, I laughed my ass off for a solid 5 minutes. It was hysterical.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(daa84 @ Feb 17, 2008 -> 08:52 AM)
howards first dunk was absolutely ridiculous...he had to dunk it on the way down, while not hitting his head/shoulders on the backboard....as far as the superman thing goes...yeah cool idea, but seriuosly...that will be the most overrated drunk ever...he didnt even come close to making it...he was 2 feet short and threw the ball in the rim...i mena dont get me wrong the guy has serious ups and it was entertaining, but to get at 10 or even an 8 or 9 to me you actually have to DUNK it....the others were good, but i actually thought gerald green doing the between the legs without shoes on was nuts...dwights last dunk was average i thought...how was that any different than greens second? he had the ball propped instead of taking it from teh hands of rashad mccants...i dunno howard was still the clear winner, but it wasn't the ridiculous performance everyone said it was...though i will grant the fact that his first dunk may have been the best dunk ive seen...he just peaked in the beinning

Yeah, I agree completely. Howard's Superman dunk was pretty crappy. He should have been penalized for not dunking it instead of being rewarded for a costume. The last dunk was completely terrible, and to say otherwise is just kissing up to Howard. It was actually the same thing Green did, but since Howard did it, people were all over it. Bah.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Feb 17, 2008 -> 04:06 PM)
Yeah, I agree completely. Howard's Superman dunk was pretty crappy. He should have been penalized for not dunking it instead of being rewarded for a costume. The last dunk was completely terrible, and to say otherwise is just kissing up to Howard. It was actually the same thing Green did, but since Howard did it, people were all over it. Bah.

Green did the same dunk in the final round twice just without sock on once. You think he deserved to win?

Seems the Mavs and Nets may have worked out a deal that might fly, with the Mavs holding on to George and Stackhouse but putting Keith Van Horne in as an expiring contract after resigning him. It'll cost Cuban a little more in luxury tax to do it, but it might well be a better deal for them, esp. since Stackhouse made a mess by implying that there was already an agreement for him to come back to the Mavs.

I still wouldn't give up Harris if I was Dallas.

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Feb 17, 2008 -> 05:53 PM)
Preach Tru. You know your s***.

I dont know know what some of these dudes are thinking.. Howard won the dunk contest and it wasn't even close.. Behind the goal was alone enough to win.. his other three were impressive as well.. he should have won last year too

Nets are getting a King's ransom for Kidd.

Devin Harris

2 First round draft-picks

3 Million Dollars

Desagna Diop

Maurice Ager

Trenton Hassell

Compare that to

Anthony Johnson

2nd round draft pick

Shelden Williams

Tyronn Lue

Lorenzen Wright

Yikes.

Edited by Palehosefan

That is a great deal for the Nets. The Nets now are going to have to try to move Carter and Richard Jefferson and I think they should get solid value for each of them. They'll also be able to get some good contracts and they already have a solid center (defensively speaking) and a heck of a young PG (I'm a huge Devin Harris fan).

The Mavs will need to win a championship (sometime w/Kidd there) for this deal to turn out for them, anything less and it will probably be a failure, imo. This does bode well for me as I just acquired Harris in my fantasy league and I think once he comes back he should be more successful (he'll get more minutes).

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Feb 17, 2008 -> 06:52 PM)
That is a great deal for the Nets. The Nets now are going to have to try to move Carter and Richard Jefferson and I think they should get solid value for each of them. They'll also be able to get some good contracts and they already have a solid center (defensively speaking) and a heck of a young PG (I'm a huge Devin Harris fan).

My word, I wouldn't take Vince Carter if you held a gun to my head unless it was for Ben Wallace straight up. I don't know where you get the idea that they should get solid value for him. He just signed a brand new contract last offseason for a hell of a lot of money, he's 31, his numbers are trending downwards, he's had notable attitude problems his whole career, and on and on. I don't know where you get the idea that they could get solid value for him. Jefferson's expensive but he's younger, cheaper than Carter, and putting up better numbers. Although it seems he choked someone at a club in Minnesota, so...I could see him having some value, but the contract limits where they could send him to teams that are in the mood to win in the near future.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Feb 17, 2008 -> 09:52 PM)

The Mavs will need to win a championship (sometime w/Kidd there) for this deal to turn out for them, anything less and it will probably be a failure, imo. This does bode well for me as I just acquired Harris in my fantasy league and I think once he comes back he should be more successful (he'll get more minutes).

For Carter? He's signed for three more years at something like $15 mil per, and his age is showing. I think he's almost unmoveable.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Feb 17, 2008 -> 06:57 PM)
For Carter? He's signed for three more years at something like $15 mil per, and his age is showing. I think he's almost unmoveable.

Shows what I know. I think if you put him on a team that can contend he could turn into a valuable piece. I'm not saying he's the player he once was and you may be right, cause 3 more years is pretty rough, but I would deal Ben Wallace for him (than again that isn't really value, haha). If I were a team with some ugly contracts that were closer to expiring I'd think that would be a valuable enough deal (I should note that I consider value, the Nets getting back some bad contracts which can clear there cap room).

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Feb 17, 2008 -> 07:06 PM)
Shows what I know. I think if you put him on a team that can contend he could turn into a valuable piece. I'm not saying he's the player he once was and you may be right, cause 3 more years is pretty rough, but I would deal Ben Wallace for him (than again that isn't really value, haha). If I were a team with some ugly contracts that were closer to expiring I'd think that would be a valuable enough deal (I should note that I consider value, the Nets getting back some bad contracts which can clear there cap room).

If I was a contending team, I'd give up roughly what the Lakers gave up for Gasol or what the Hawks gave up for Bibby to get Carter at this point. Nothing more.

Carter for Jermaine O'Neal is pretty much the only deal I've heard rumored, and that should show what Carter's value around the league is.

He's just in his 30's IIRC, only shoots around 40-45% from the field, and his knees are shot.

The only places I could see him in are New York or Indiana.

Now Jefferson is a different story, he should still have some good value although he doesn't rebound much.

He'd be good on a team that plays an uptempo style, someone like the Hornets for instance.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Feb 17, 2008 -> 07:10 PM)
If I was a contending team, I'd give up roughly what the Lakers gave up for Gasol or what the Hawks gave up for Bibby to get Carter at this point. Nothing more.

That would be value for Carter since it would give them expiring contracts. I'm not saying they get Devin Harris, I'm saying they rid themselves of a contract.