2007-08 NBA Thread

Brian

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 20, 2008 -> 06:15 AM)
Drew Gooden is the scoring big man we have been missing for years. The Wallace trade was a winner just for dumping Ben's salary, let alone getting Drew Gooden.

Do you trade Gooden if it means dumping Hughes in the same trade ? (for cap relief) ie The Jamal Crawford, Jerome Williams Deal to the knicks

Edited by rangercal

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(knightni @ Mar 20, 2008 -> 08:14 PM)
Looks like Drew Gooden is a keeper.

Now, if the Bulls can only draft a real point guard.

Jose Calderon is the guy.

I wonder if the Raps would be interested in a Hinrich plus Thomas for Calderon and something else sign and trade deal?

A lineup of Calderon, Hughes, Deng, Gooden and Noah in the East would be pretty competitive, and the Bulls would have a pretty deep bench.

They just need to fix the coaching situation. After seeing Boston beat Dallas today, I still think they need to go all out for Tom Thibodeau.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 21, 2008 -> 06:10 AM)
Not a chance. I trade Ben Gordon.

Gordon's likely to sign with Memphis I think. Philly has the cap room, but they've got a nice core, and I don't know if they need to add Ben to the mix. Although it's arguble if Willie Green is a starting 2 guard in the league.

But Gordon's certainly on his way out. Great scorer, but he'll always be a combo guard at best who needs a very good defensive PG alongside him. Deron Williams for instance.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Mar 21, 2008 -> 03:14 AM)
Gordon's likely to sign with Memphis I think. Philly has the cap room, but they've got a nice core, and I don't know if they need to add Ben to the mix. Although it's arguble if Willie Green is a starting 2 guard in the league.

But Gordon's certainly on his way out. Great scorer, but he'll always be a combo guard at best who needs a very good defensive PG alongside him. Deron Williams for instance.

Gordon is restricted this year, so you can bet Pax won't let him walk away. At best they figure out a sign and trade with someone.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 22, 2008 -> 11:03 AM)
Gordon is restricted this year, so you can bet Pax won't let him walk away. At best they figure out a sign and trade with someone.

IIRC, Brian Cardinal has an expiring contract at the end of next season.

Maybe a 2010 1st rounder, Cardinal's deal and either Jarvaris Crittenton or Kyle Lowry?

Crittenton's an ideal guy to target IMHO if I were the Bulls. 6'4 PG, who can score, but he's not a Jamal Crawford / Steve Francis type of combo guard.

But who knows, maybe it's to time to free up some room, and try to target Lebron / Wade when they hit FA.

They also probably need to try and dump Noc's deal on someone.

Hmmm;

Even before we got to Omaha, Neb., for this week's 36-hour escape from reality, as explained in detail in Box 10, college chatter already was dribbling into Stein Line HQ.

I've heard this one now from about five well-connected sources around the league: University of Memphis coach John Calipari has serious interest in the Bulls job.

Calipari, for the record, strongly denied such interest when contacted by ESPN.com this week.

Where the Bulls stand on Calipari, meanwhile, could not be immediately determined. Yet this much seems clear: Chicago is headed for an offseason coaching change, as addressed here last week.

I suppose a playoff run under Jim Boylan still could change things, but that's difficult to picture, given the unrest in the locker room that lingers long after Scott Skiles' Christmas Eve departure and with Chicago still one of just four teams this season that have failed to post at least one three-game winning streak. The others are Minnesota, Memphis and Miami.

Wow, Calipari would really need to find a different offensive system, either that or the Bulls would need to totally overhaul their roster. Kind of hard to run the Dribble Drive Motion offense with a bunch of guys that can't drive.

The Bulls blow a huge 4th quarter lead AGAIN, I've never seen a team nearly as good at doing it as the Bulls. They led by 11 after 3, led by 13 early in the 4th, but are outscored huge again at 35-17 in the 4th and lose 108-101 to Indiana. I know it's better they miss the playoffs, but it's just amazing a team can blow that many huge 4th quarter leads.

Also, a great night for Kirk Hinrich. Bulls were -20 with him on the floor, nobody else was worse than -6, so he was easily the worst player on the floor for the Bulls. Then again that's nothing new.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

Another coaching link;

Rick Carlisle's chummy relationship with Bulls chairman Jerry Reinsdorf apparently has put him at the top of the list of candidates to succeed interim coach Jim Boylan. But if Nets exec Kiki Vandeweghe crosses the Hudson to take over the Knicks, he has Carlisle at the top of his list of coaching prospects.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 24, 2008 -> 10:02 AM)
The only way that can happen is in a sign and trade...

Actually I think you're wrong. If the Bulls don't resign Deng or Gordon, or even if they do but they manage things correctly (I have no idea where the cap will be that year in relation to the guys they already have), they've got a big expiring contract for that year in Hughes, which could leave them in a position to have space that year if that's the way they wanted to go. There's also I believe a re-negotiation of the CBA before that year hits, which is IIRC why Lebron structured his contract so that he could opt-out that year.

Sam Smith chimes in on who the Bulls may be looking @.

So who are the Bulls going to pick in the NBA draft?

They would be in the lottery with the ninth-worst record.

The general consensus among team officials is Kansas State's Michael Beasley is No. 1 and Memphis point guard Derrick Rose No. 2. There is no player regarded as a sure No. 3, though my guess is if the Bulls got the third pick, they'd go for Stanford's Brook Lopez.

Although the Bulls believe they need an upgrade over Kirk Hinrich, the belief is they'd go for Beasley if they got first pick and Rose if they got the second. You can only move up to the top three spots.

If no team moves up and the standings remain, the Bulls would probably choose between UCLA's Russell Westbrook or Kevin Love at No. 9.

They'd likely stay away from combo guards like Southern California's O.J. Mayo and Indiana's Eric Gordon, if they were to fall that far.

Would they go for another LSU athlete in Anthony Randolph? I doubt it, not after Tyrus Thomas.

From there, the choices are not great.

This Bulls team needs to be more like the Celtics of last season: package the pick with one or two players and perhaps pick up a veteran point guard like Andre Miller. I could also see them pursuing a star player in perhaps a sign-and-trade with Washington for Gilbert Arenas, sort of a go-for-broke summer.

Perhaps Elton Brand tells the Clippers he won't re-sign and the Clippers cash in for a package that includes Hinrich, Andres Nocioni and the Bulls' first pick. And if Nene gets healthy, the Nuggets have to move someone.

I always liked Carlise. However, I would be a major fan of grabbing someone from the Mike D'Antoni style and let the Bulls athletes run run run. Move Ben Gordon, resign Deng, draft OJ Mayo and try and sign a quick point guard (also try to find another athlete for the post position).

I'd consider moving Nocioni in such a set-up as well, however, in an uptempo game Noc can have a very good role being an enforcer/tough physical presence in the case you get stuck in a half court game.

Let Noah/Gooden/Tyrus Thomas/Another guy be the running bigs (also don't be afraid of using Deng in the 4), Sefolosha/Hinrich/Mayo/Hughes/FA PG (or acquisition) running out on the PG/SG position (There will be plenty of minutes to go around). I truly think the Bulls are capable of such a thing (yes, they don't have Chris Paul or Steve Nash, but aside from that they have the athletes for this system, imo).