2007-08 NBA Thread

Brian

Great, more boring defensive coaches. The league is heading in the complete opposite direction of that, and the Bulls need to get out of the stone ages. The team has to rebuild anyways, might as well try and move into the 21st century, because it's getting increasingly difficult to try and win 88-83 in this league with every passing year.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isaiah getting ready to exit stage left

"What I've been asked to do and required to do by the Knicks, I've tried to perform to the best of my ability," Thomas said before the team's scheduled shootaround. "This is a very disappointing season. I'm not used to being at the bottom. But this is what it's like on the bottom, and this is how you get treated on the bottom. That's how it is."

2007-2007 23-58*

2006-2007 33-49

2005-2006 23-59 (Larry Brown coached, Isiah put together)

*one more game to go

strange that he isnt used to being at the bottom, since that is exactly where he has been the past 3 years. Thats how he left the Raptors, and The Pacers were floundering when he left.

Bulls should go for Thibodeau IMHO.

It's been him and not Doc Rivers who's had the most impact on that group in Boston.

Bulls would become an elite defensive team with him in charge.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 18, 2008 -> 05:42 AM)
Personally I always liked Carlisle and I'd have zero problem with him as the next head coach. I also have no problem going with Thiddeau.

The problem with Carlisle and I'm sure Greasy would probably back this up, he basically doesn't allow any freedom at all whatsoever for his players.

For example, for each offensive possesion, he forces the PG to slow down to a walk, and give him the play, the players can't decide what they want to do on the fly.

And that has grated on his players wherever he's gone. I just get the sense, you'd have another Skiles situation, 2-3 years from now if you hired him.

QUOTE (DBAH0 @ Apr 18, 2008 -> 07:52 AM)

It's been him and not Doc Rivers who's had the most impact on that group in Boston.

Ray Allen and KG say hi

QUOTE (DBAH0 @ Apr 18, 2008 -> 05:52 AM)

I certainly would be a fan of Thibodeau defensively, I would like to know what he would do about offense though if I was in Pax's chair. I certainly like the idea of fresh blood instead of a retread.

QUOTE (DBAH0 @ Apr 18, 2008 -> 05:54 AM)
And that has grated on his players wherever he's gone. I just get the sense, you'd have another Skiles situation, 2-3 years from now if you hired him.

After the debacle that has been this season, I don't know if it would take 2-3 years. I think these guys seem like they're ready for something different. IF RC was willing to adapt his style to the way the game has changed in the last couple years, that'd be livable. But the question is...is he a good coach because he adapts to his players, or is he a good coach because he kept getting put in places where the players were the kind that worked with him the best while he was there. If the answer is the former, then he might work for this system. If the answer is the latter, then he's not going to be any better than Boylan. So far, based on the implosion of guys under him in Indy, It'd take some serious convincing for me to think it's the former and not the latter.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Apr 15, 2008 -> 10:42 AM)
Great, more boring defensive coaches. The league is heading in the complete opposite direction of that, and the Bulls need to get out of the stone ages. The team has to rebuild anyways, might as well try and move into the 21st century, because it's getting increasingly difficult to try and win 88-83 in this league with every passing year.

And yet, the teams that do win those games always win the Championship.

NBA owners approved the Seattle SuperSonics' move to Oklahoma City for the 2008-09 season Friday, pending the resolution of litigation between the team and the city of Seattle.

The Sonics could begin playing in owner Clay Bennett's hometown as early as next season if they can get out of the remaining two years of their lease at Key Arena.

Owners voted 28-2 in favor of the move, with Dallas and Portland voting against. Mavericks owner Mark Cuban has previously expressed concerns about the market size, and commissioner David Stern said the Trail Blazers, owned by Paul Allen, didn't say why they voted the way they did.

Stern said although owners understand the move from a larger market to a much smaller one, they "focused on the likelihood of success in Oklahoma City."

Seattle has filed suit trying to force the Sonics to remain in the city until the lease expires in 2010, while Bennett wants to buy out the remainder. The city already has rejected Bennett's $26 million to settle the lease dispute. A trial is set to begin in federal court June 16.

Link.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 18, 2008 -> 02:35 PM)

I knew it was going to be approved, but when i logged on ESPN and saw it it still just made my heart sink. There are so many things wrong with this that i cant even begin to explain how s***ty this is. Every time i see Clay Bennett i want to vomit. I grew up watching the X-man and later GP, the Reign Man, Dale Ellis, Detlef, Nate MacMillan and recently Rashard Lewis, Ray Allen and now Durant and Jeff Green. The Sonics are the only team i've ever loved, the only team i've ever rooted for, the only team i've cared about and followed. 41 years of having a team, including 3 championship appearances (1 win) means nothing to the NBA apparently. David Stern disgusts me. How can he allow this to happen? Bennett is a lieing sack of s***. His "attempt" at keeping them in Seattle was a farce. He chose a s***ty location and his proposal was exorbitant. The city has paid for 2 hgih class stadiums (Seahawks, Mariners) and a renovation to Key Arena all in the last 10 years. Money isnt made on f***ing trees. Its utter bulls*** that they are being punished for showing balls when being confronted and bullied by a billionaire owner trying to milk them for money on a whim. Bennett never intended on staying in Seattle, we all knew that all along. The recent emails only prove it. The fact that David Stern stands by and not only turns a blind eye but excuses it and helps him is ridiculous. Seattle is the #12 market, OKC is in the 40s!!! The f***ing 40s! The NBA is missing out on a great marketing chip of a pacific northwest battle for years between KD and Oden. 41 years of history down the toilet so a pathetic selfish billionaire can buy his toy and bring it home. People should be scared. Ya you dont give two s***s about the Sonics but if it can happen to a big cuty team like them with 41 f***ing years of history then it can happen to anyone. The precedent has been set: if your city doesnt pay the bill, your team might move. OH WELL! Its the 59th minute of the 11th hour for the Sonics, but there is still a smallwindow. The lease will be hard to get out of. I might get to watch the NBA for 2 more years still. The Schultz suit is nothing but a PR move. He's 100% correct but theres no way to prove it without a reasonable doubt. All it will do is cause Bennett to lose money (boo f***ing hoo). Steve Balmers is stepping up and offering to pay for half of a new arena. With two more years who knows. David Stern's vendetta against the Sonics now will almost undoubtedly result in them leaving regardless since hes too busy giving it to his buddy Bennett up the ass. How a commisioner can stand by and SUPPORT the loss of a great franchise with such history is beyond me. Now i know how the Browns and Colts fans felt. It sucks. It really, really sucks. If the Sonics leave i will no longer watch of care about the NBA. That is not a threat, its just what will happen. What would you do if your team left? Im not gonna arbitrarily pick anotehr team. And i'll be damned if i root for OKC. I will never support a team owned by that obnoxious, selfish, self-righteous billionaire asshole Clay Bennett. If another team eventually comes to Seattle and resumes the franchise name and colors (the name probbaly will stay in Seattle) I may follow them, but it wont be the same. If the Sonics leave, the NBA will have successfully alienated me and thousands of Sonics fans in the pacific northwest. Grow a spine David Stern, you are a pathetic, congratulaions, I'm sure you're kids would be proud.

[/rant]

ps. sorry about the language

The Schultz suit is nothing but a PR move. He's 100% correct but theres no way to prove it without a reasonable doubt.

In civil suits the burden of proof is "Preponderance of the evidence."

All the lawyers have to get is a restraining order against the Sonics from moving while the case is being litigated and the Sonics will be in Seattle for another 2 years minimum.

Its crazy though.

QUOTE (rangercal @ Apr 19, 2008 -> 01:49 AM)
Ray Allen and KG say hi

I'm talking about coaching wise.

And don't underestimate the impact James Posey has had either. Argubly the best defensive SG/SF in the game today (Bruce Bowen is too much of a dirty player for mine).

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 19, 2008 -> 03:13 AM)
I certainly would be a fan of Thibodeau defensively, I would like to know what he would do about offense though if I was in Pax's chair. I certainly like the idea of fresh blood instead of a retread.

I think he deserves to be given that chance.

I mean everyone says, go offense and fast break, but look at Memphis. They were terrible this season under Marc Iavaroni.

Thibodeau has been a successful assistant wherever he's been, and if he has the Bulls playing as good as the Celtics have been defensively this season, would anyone here be complaining?

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Apr 19, 2008 -> 03:21 AM)
And yet, the teams that do win those games always win the Championship.

That's another factor into why I think Paxson is looking for that type of coach.

QUOTE (DBAH0 @ Apr 19, 2008 -> 06:22 AM)
That's another factor into why I think Paxson is looking for that type of coach.

And, on top of that, with a team composed of guys like Noah, Hinrich, Deng, Thabo, maybe to a lesser extent TT and Hughes (Blocks and steals), the Bulls as constructed right now are a team that should be able to play a solid, high energy defensive game and turn it in to a lot of fast break open floor opportunities. These guys should be one of the league's better defensive teams.