2007-08 NBA Thread

Brian

Stern isn't going to do anything that prohibits the Celtics from winning the opening series. He's dreaming up a Lakers/Celtics matchup like a good portion of the fans are. I think Dbaho and I could agree that we want to see a Magic/Jazz matchup, haha, that's obviously highly unlikely, considering the Jazz haven't even won their series, but it'd be funny to have a matchup like that instead of the highly anticipated Lakers/Celtics.

Edited by WilliamTell

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ May 1, 2008 -> 04:11 PM)
Stern isn't going to do anything that prohibits the Celtics from winning the opening series. He's dreaming up a Lakers/Celtics matchup like a good portion of the fans are. I think Dbaho and I could agree that we want to see a Magic/Jazz matchup, haha, that's obviously highly unlikely, considering the Jazz haven't even won their series, but it'd be funny to have a matchup like that instead of the highly anticipated Lakers/Celtics.

Maybe a Boston/Utah series.

bbm-celticpride.jpg

QUOTE (knightni @ May 1, 2008 -> 03:15 PM)
Maybe a Boston/Utah series.

bbm-celticpride.jpg

YES, that movie was a classic. Haven't seen it in forever. Good Ol Marv.

Apparently the Bulls are going to talk to Avery Johnson about the coaching job. Great idea imo and he is a former player. I think his style of coaching would fit in well with the Bulls.

Source: Bulls Looking at Avery

So, the always vastly overrated Tracy McGrady has STILL never even been able to win a first round playoff series, as his team was destroyed tonight in game 6. And Boston is in trouble, even if they win on Sunday. If it took them 7 games to beat a 37 win Hawk team, how will they handle the King? Hopefully ATL pulls it off though, that would make Golden State over Dallas last year look like a very mild upset.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ May 3, 2008 -> 08:22 AM)
I highly doubt that Atlanta will pull it out but dayum that'd be pretty sweet.

Hell no. I am far from a Boston fan, but Atlanta is a bunch of goons. I don't want a team like that playing in the next round.

At least Golden State last year just flat out out played Dallas.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ May 4, 2008 -> 02:13 PM)
Outstanding performance by Atlanta today

BOSTON (AP)—Kevin Garnett took a behind-the-back pass from Paul Pierce, slammed in the dunk to make the lead three dozen points and then slashed his hand across his throat to signal what the Atlanta Hawks already knew.

“It’s over,” he told the crowd.

The game. The series. The surprising little scare Atlanta put into the NBA’s best.

"Little" scare? Taking the team with the best record in the NBA to Game 7 in the 1st round with a losing record is a "little" scare?

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ May 4, 2008 -> 09:35 PM)
"Little" scare? Taking the team with the best record in the NBA to Game 7 in the 1st round with a losing record is a "little" scare?

Correct, that is only a little scare and here is why: Atlanta was blown out in all 4 games in Boston. Every one of those games was over by halftime or earlier, and at no point in any of them did Atlanta have a chance. Boston's lack of composure on the road extended the series, but at no point was Boston threatened because at no point where they threatened at home, a place Atlanta had to win in order to win this series. It's a little scare since today was an elimination game, but it was over by tip off.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ May 4, 2008 -> 09:35 PM)

Yeah, it was a little scare because Atlanta couldn't stay within 30 anytime the games were played in Boston.

Rotoworld is saying that a Bulls D'Antoni hiring is "imminent", referring to an ESPN piece.

I expected changes, but I was thinking more along the lines of personnel. I wasn't thinking they'd do a complete 180 in terms of the team philosophy. I have a hard time seeing how this will work with the Bulls roster, but it will be interesting, anyway.

QUOTE (jackie hayes @ May 6, 2008 -> 11:39 AM)
Rotoworld is saying that a Bulls D'Antoni hiring is "imminent", referring to an ESPN piece.

I expected changes, but I was thinking more along the lines of personnel. I wasn't thinking they'd do a complete 180 in terms of the team philosophy. I have a hard time seeing how this will work with the Bulls roster, but it will be interesting, anyway.

Well, that report says it's imminent, but on the radio they say the Bulls contract offer was such a lowball that D'Antoni very well could be headed to the Knicks.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 6, 2008 -> 12:46 PM)
Well, that report says it's imminent, but on the radio they say the Bulls contract offer was such a lowball that D'Antoni very well could be headed to the Knicks.

Right, I saw that just after I posted this. Supposedly that report came from a Phoenix radio station. And the Bulls have said that a contract has not been offered yet. So a lot of uncertainty, but I still think it's interesting that the Bulls would be looking at D'Antoni.

QUOTE (jackie hayes @ May 6, 2008 -> 08:53 AM)
Right, I saw that just after I posted this. Supposedly that report came from a Phoenix radio station. And the Bulls have said that a contract has not been offered yet. So a lot of uncertainty, but I still think it's interesting that the Bulls would be looking at D'Antoni.

IMO, I'd bet the issue's going to wind up not being the Bulls paying D'Antoni the money, but it's going to be getting him out of his contract with Phoenix and what that team wants in exchange for letting him out.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 6, 2008 -> 02:29 PM)
IMO, I'd bet the issue's going to wind up not being the Bulls paying D'Antoni the money, but it's going to be getting him out of his contract with Phoenix and what that team wants in exchange for letting him out.

What are you basing that on? I'm not trying to be combative, I just haven't seen anything like that in the reports about D'Antoni. It sounds like neither side is too happy with the other, and the Shaq trade suggests that they aren't happy with his coaching style. I was under the impression that they'd probably let him go pretty easy.

QUOTE (jackie hayes @ May 6, 2008 -> 11:49 AM)
What are you basing that on? I'm not trying to be combative, I just haven't seen anything like that in the reports about D'Antoni. It sounds like neither side is too happy with the other, and the Shaq trade suggests that they aren't happy with his coaching style. I was under the impression that they'd probably let him go pretty easy.

Just instinct, probably wrong though.

I mean, think about what is motivating each side here:

The Bulls want a coach

The Suns would like to be able to get around the last $8 million on D'Antoni's contract, but might not want to give him up for absolutely nothing.

D'Antoni might want out of that situation, but if he just stays put, he makes himself another $8 million.

The issue I guess then is whether or not the Bulls are willing to pay the salary D'Antoni is currently making and beyond.

QUOTE (jackie hayes @ May 6, 2008 -> 08:39 AM)

This really is the perfect personnel. I have my doubts on whether Hinrich can run the system, but aside from that the Bulls have the athletes in pace to successfully run an up-tempo style of offense. I also have to believe that the team when interviewing Mike would have asked him about whether the proper players are there and what he thought of Kirk and whomever and my guess is if the Bulls hire D'Antoni they either believe Kirk can be that guy or have someone in mind that they believe they can get.

I'm freaking excited though if they hire him.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 6, 2008 -> 02:02 PM)
This really is the perfect personnel. I have my doubts on whether Hinrich can run the system, but aside from that the Bulls have the athletes in pace to successfully run an up-tempo style of offense. I also have to believe that the team when interviewing Mike would have asked him about whether the proper players are there and what he thought of Kirk and whomever and my guess is if the Bulls hire D'Antoni they either believe Kirk can be that guy or have someone in mind that they believe they can get.

I'm freaking excited though if they hire him.

My first instinct was to be uncertain, but I think I'm getting more excited as time passes about the idea.