Athletics want out of Oakland

jasonxctf

A's co-owner Lew Wolff says the team will leave Oakland even if Fremont, Cali. doesn't approve a plan to build a new stadium.

"We don't want to move. We don't want to start pitting cities against each other, but it's out of the question we'll stay in Oakland," Wolff said after a speech at the Commonwealth Club in San Francisco. Moving out of the Coliseum will put an end to the largest foul territory in the majors and A's pitchers ERAs should increase a little as a result. The move sounds like it is at least five years away from happening so Dan Haren owners really shouldn't be too concerned.

Source: San Francisco Chronicle

QUOTE(WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Oct 23, 2007 -> 04:38 PM)
I really hope they end up moving to Fremont. It would suck to see a team with so much history move out of Oakland

Part of that history was in Philadelphia and Kansas City...sooooo, moving is part of the history.

QUOTE(jasonxctf @ Oct 23, 2007 -> 10:01 AM)
per Rotoworld. Possible destinations???

* Somewhere in California, San Jose???

* Las Vegas

* Portland

* San Antonio (7th largest US city!!!!)

* Indianapolis (13th largest US city)

* Memphis

* Charlotte

other ideas???

The cities that come up in MLB location discussions that seem to have the best supporting factors are Vegas, Portland, San Antonio/McAllen, Charlotte or somewhere in the Carolinas, Albuquerque/Santa Fe, Nashville, and San Juan, PR. Memphis has zero chance - no money in that town (a huge key factor people forget), their AAA team doesn't draw well, they are very close to STL... If its Tennessee, then its Nashville, which is like Memphis except with money and the location to draw from a much larger baseball dead space. But even Nashville is probably last on that list - baseball just doesn't draw in that part of the country like it does in others.

All that said, the A's seem likely to stay in Cali.

On the other hand, one of those Florida teams WILL leave in the next decade, I'd bet on it.

QUOTE(jasonxctf @ Oct 24, 2007 -> 08:44 AM)
why do you think this, in general. The gambling aspect?

Teams survive on the hometown fanatics. Vegas is too much tourism. San Antonio has done well in supporting the Spurs, through thick and slightly less thick. I'm not certain about the San Antonio / McAllen reference. McAllen is 4 hours from San Antonio and I'm not certain how that would fit in.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Oct 24, 2007 -> 09:19 AM)
Teams survive on the hometown fanatics. Vegas is too much tourism. San Antonio has done well in supporting the Spurs, through thick and slightly less thick. I'm not certain about the San Antonio / McAllen reference. McAllen is 4 hours from San Antonio and I'm not certain how that would fit in.

San Antonio would only work if a stadium was built between there and Austin. Like New Braunfels or San Marcos. But I don't think Tom Hicks and Drayton McClane will allow it. I think Portland is probably the best bet outside of Fremont.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Oct 24, 2007 -> 10:08 AM)
San Antonio would only work if a stadium was built between there and Austin. Like New Braunfels or San Marcos. But I don't think Tom Hicks and Drayton McClane will allow it. I think Portland is probably the best bet outside of Fremont.

I think the drive from Austin to SA wouldn't stop fans. Put the stadium on the north side and they would be fine. I don't think they need to go all the way to San Marcos. Maybe near the outlet malls?

Vegas would work for about half of their home games depending which league they are in. The reason: Many road teams' fans would flood there. If in the AL -- Sox, Yankee, Red Sox fans would go on their road trips to fill the part. If in NL -- Cubs, Cards and Dodger fans would also draw well. But other than those road trips, I can't see other fans making the trip.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Oct 24, 2007 -> 12:30 PM)
Or their indoor stadium could have the roof painting with the sky and clouds like they do in some of the hotels.

Add the removable grass like the Arizona Cardinals have, and there ya go! A 'virtual' paradise.

QUOTE(WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Oct 23, 2007 -> 04:49 PM)
Moving a team to Vegas would be a huge mistake.

Vegas will never have a MLB team with Selig as a GM. I'm full supportive of that too (cause a MLB team being in Vegas is just a BAD BAD Idea...or any professional sports team).