Tyrus Thomas: the joke

Alright, I've had enough of this.

I wanted Tyrus in the 2006 NBA Draft, I got Tyrus in the 2006 NBA Draft.

The Bulls took LaMarcus Aldridge, everyone's concensus breakout player for 2007-08, and traded him for Tyrus and the ever-unstoppable Victor "they used to call me Dalibor" Khryapa.

Tyrus has all the athleticism in the world, but get this... he can't even beat out a guy who was picked 49th overall just a few months ago. Tyrus went 4th overall (to the team with the 2nd pick). It's been a year. He should be blowing Aaron Gray away (and to a lesser extent Joakim Noah), and he's not.

Why is this? It sounds like its his dedication and his being unwilling to show up for practices in the offseason and to take an active part in improving his game. Yeah, he can still score, rebound, and block. But he makes the dumb plays that make him look like he just left high school still, and it's starting to piss me off. If he were anywhere near the talent that LaMarcus Aldridge is right now, we'd have our PF spot locked up and the best starting lineup in the league.

But no. We have a cycling band of players, two who play their asses off without the great talent in Noah and Gray, and one who just doesn't care who could own this town if he'd just give a damn in Tyrus.

Don't get me wrong, when Tyrus is throwing down slam dunks and blocking shots, I love it, but the fact the he can't impress the coaches enough to get the majority of the minutes at power forward this season is a joke, and tyrus is a joke because of that.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 24, 2007 -> 11:00 AM)

yes, i have many posts over there. i believe this is a sports forum, correct me if i am wrong, and i actually posted this same topic over there as well for the fans who've come through, but i know guys like rock, hammerhead, (whose opinions i respect on the subject) etc don't exactly frequent talkbulls and it gets less than 100 hits a day.

but thanks for the link to a site with very low traffic.

Edited by Steve9347

I wanted Aldridge bad, guys like Thomas are just so hit and miss. Stromile Swift comes to mind, other guys with exceptional athleticism have also failed.

Thomas is young, but some times the most talented players develop poor work ethics because they never had to work before and think that their talent will get them there. It just doesnt work that way, and hopefully his ego will drive him to be better and not be sitting on the bench.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Oct 24, 2007 -> 03:52 PM)
Yeah, he can still score, rebound, and block.

He can score? When did this happen? I know he can dunk, but since when did he learn a post-game?

His jump shot is about as ugly or uglier than Noah's and his post-game -- if it's more or less the same as last season -- is pretty non-existant, which is a shame. He should be working on an 'athletic' jump hook, as he can sky over anyone and get a pretty clean path to the rim. Then again, Tyrus doesn't strike me as a calm/composed/poised (for lack of a better word) enough player to develop a strong post-game. Maybe I'm wrong -- the Bulls are certainly the team that I consider myself a fan of yet follow the least...

Thomas will continue to be a very exciting player so long as he stays in shape and healthy. He'll have highlight reel blocks and highlight reel dunks. Unfortunately -- at this point -- I view taking Tyrus second (or was it third or fourth?) overall in the same way that I saw the Dolphins taking Teddy Ginn 9th overall -- you want more than 'excitement' with that pick. You need a player you might be able to build a team around, or at the very least a guy capable of starting night in, night out, and I'm not 100% sure Tyrus can do that.

Edited by CWSGuy406

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Oct 24, 2007 -> 12:56 PM)
We knew when we took Tyrus he was going to be an extremely raw player to begin with, Id expect him to be a little better this season and maybe in season 3 or season 4 when we finally fully see the real TT.

Hence, the problem with drafting these guys so young.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Oct 24, 2007 -> 10:52 AM)

The Bulls took LaMarcus Aldridge, everyone's concensus breakout player for 2007-08, and traded him for Tyrus and the ever-unstoppable Victor "they used to call me Dalibor" Khryapa.

Tyrus has all the athleticism in the world, but get this... he can't even beat out a guy who was picked 49th overall just a few months ago. Tyrus went 4th overall (to the team with the 2nd pick). It's been a year. He should be blowing Aaron Gray away (and to a lesser extent Joakim Noah), and he's not.

Why is this? It sounds like its his dedication and his being unwilling to show up for practices in the offseason and to take an active part in improving his game. Yeah, he can still score, rebound, and block. But he makes the dumb plays that make him look like he just left high school still, and it's starting to piss me off. If he were anywhere near the talent that LaMarcus Aldridge is right now, we'd have our PF spot locked up and the best starting lineup in the league.

But no. We have a cycling band of players, two who play their asses off without the great talent in Noah and Gray, and one who just doesn't care who could own this town if he'd just give a damn in Tyrus.

Tyrus is 21 with only one college season and one pro season. Tyrus looks in shape to me and he looks good this pre-season.

People need to settle down on Tyrus and realize he's still well on schedule to be the player we hoped he'd be.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Oct 24, 2007 -> 10:52 AM)

Don't get me wrong, when Tyrus is throwing down slam dunks and blocking shots, I love it, but the fact the he can't impress the coaches enough to get the majority of the minutes at power forward this season is a joke, and tyrus is a joke because of that.

Your expectations for Tyrus are way too high for this season. If this post was made a year from now, then you might be on to something.

The Bulls' coach is wrestling with thoughts of Thomas' inconsistent focus, Gray's solid offense but limited mobility and Joe Smith's setback from a minor knee injury.

Limited mobility = understatement of the year.

As stated on the Boers & Bernstein show a while back, the Bulls have cornered the market on big, slow white guys over the past quarter century. Dave Corzine, Will Perdue, Luc Longley, Bill Wennington, Jack Haley, Jared Reiner, Napoleon Dynamite, Ed Nealy, Mark Randall, etc. Just a giant suckfest is all....

Yeah, okay; he can hit ten footers. Good for him. He's basically a slower version of Malik Allen.

The fact that Skiles is even toying with the thought of giving this guy meaningful minutes is just another example of how retarded he is.

Edited by hammerhead johnson

Speaking of retarded, you ended a sentence with a preposition.

I'm am so just kidding.

My huge issue is Tyrus looks no better now than he did in preseason last year, and I expected some development, some discipline, and not for it to be questioned with Aaron Gray, Joakim Noah, or Tyrus got the more serviceable minutes.

If he starts, I'll be pretty happy. We'll see what happens.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Oct 25, 2007 -> 09:52 AM)
Limited mobility = understatement of the year.

As stated on the Boers & Bernstein show a while back, the Bulls have cornered the market on big, slow white guys over the past quarter century. Dave Corzine, Will Perdue, Luc Longley, Bill Wennington, Jack Haley, Jared Reiner, Napoleon Dynamite, Ed Nealy, Mark Randall, etc. Just a giant suckfest is all....

Yeah, okay; he can hit ten footers. Good for him. He's basically a slower version of Malik Allen.

The fact that Skiles is even toying with the thought of giving this guy meaningful minutes is just another example of how retarded he is.

What's retarded is when a team basically clears the way to give you a job, and you can't even show up to practice with your teammates for the summer. Its also retarded when the #4 pick in the draft is getting shown up by the #49 pick.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Oct 25, 2007 -> 10:40 AM)
What's retarded is when a team basically clears the way to give you a job, and you can't even show up to practice with your teammates for the summer. Its also retarded when the #4 pick in the draft is getting shown up by the #49 pick.

Hey, someone who understands the gist of my first post! I can always count on SS2k5 for that...

That's exactly what I was saying... it shouldn't even be questioned, I don't care how young he is, Tyrus was taken 4th overall by the team with the 2nd overall pick (over the likes of LaMarcus Aldridge) and has a year of NBA seasoning under his belt. I don't care how you twist experience around, Noah and Gray don't have a year of NBA experience under their belts and the fact that Tyrus couldn't show them up in the preseason was very telling.

Tyrus is still a little immature; that goes without saying. I mean, the dude just turned 21 in August. He showed me plenty last year, though. He plays his ass off on the court. I'm talking hustle points, crazy rebounds, altered shots, etc. That's my type of player.

If it sounds good, I'll end sentences in prepositions like it ain't no thang.

I'll concede that I wouldn't pull that type of s*** on a college paper, though. My bad, professor.

You're kinda wack sometimes, Steve. :D

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Oct 25, 2007 -> 02:29 PM)
Tyrus is still a little immature; that goes without saying. I mean, the dude just turned 21 in August. He showed me plenty last year, though. He plays his ass off on the court. I'm talking hustle points, crazy rebounds, altered shots, etc. That's my type of player.

If it sounds good, I'll end sentences in prepositions like it ain't no thang.

I'll concede that I wouldn't pull that type of s*** on a college paper, though. My bad, professor.

You're kinda wack sometimes, Steve. :D

It's all fun and games, big dogg, 'twas a joke it was.

Tyrus was in the Jim Beam Club the game I took in from there last July. The guy is a freak. Its like he's on a trampoline. If he learns to shoot a little bit, if he could get any kind of post game, he can be a star. He's so young and inexperienced, it will take some time. I don't believe Tyrus has been playing basketball very long.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Oct 25, 2007 -> 08:30 PM)
Tyrus was in the Jim Beam Club the game I took in from there last July. The guy is a freak. Its like he's on a trampoline. If he learns to shoot a little bit, if he could get any kind of post game, he can be a star. He's so young and inexperienced, it will take some time. I don't believe Tyrus has been playing basketball very long.

I think I read around draft time last year that he had only played organized basketball his senior year of high school and freshman year of college.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Oct 25, 2007 -> 08:30 PM)

Which to me I would think would mean he would be MORE likely to stick around and workout with his team. Its one thing if a guy who is a veteran and/or already a star skips out of summers with his teammates, its another for a guy who is WAY behind on the experience scale. Reading between the lines of what Skiles saids about the kid, either he isn't very bright or he is lazy. Either way, he needs to get his ass into gear, or he will end up more like Cleveland Cavliers Shawn Kemp versus Seattle Supersonics Shawn Kemp.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Oct 26, 2007 -> 01:11 PM)
Either way, he needs to get his ass into gear, or he will end up more like Cleveland Cavliers Shawn Kemp versus Seattle Supersonics Shawn Kemp.

I think he was the cavs' first All-Star starter ever. ^_^

But yeah, I know what you're saying and agree with it.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Oct 26, 2007 -> 01:11 PM)
Which to me I would think would mean he would be MORE likely to stick around and workout with his team. Its one thing if a guy who is a veteran and/or already a star skips out of summers with his teammates, its another for a guy who is WAY behind on the experience scale. Reading between the lines of what Skiles saids about the kid, either he isn't very bright or he is lazy. Either way, he needs to get his ass into gear, or he will end up more like Cleveland Cavliers Shawn Kemp versus Seattle Supersonics Shawn Kemp.

Don't compare Tyrus to Shawn Kemp. Kemp used to snort coke in the locker room. He also got really fat. I think Tyrus is a little brighter. It is amazing what's expected from a guy who would be a junior in eligibility had he remained in college. Tyrus spend the majority of his summer back at home which isn't surprising. I read that when he went to LSU, he hadn't been out of the 100 mile radius around Baton Rouge. One of the worries with him in the draft was how he would adapt to life in the big city. He probably is a little arrogant and probably very naive, but he's still a kid, and kids make mistakes. He's such an athletic freak, he won't have to add much to start dominating. Skiles won't let him blow his ability.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Oct 27, 2007 -> 03:43 PM)
Don't compare Tyrus to Shawn Kemp. Kemp used to snort coke in the locker room. He also got really fat. I think Tyrus is a little brighter. It is amazing what's expected from a guy who would be a junior in eligibility had he remained in college. Tyrus spend the majority of his summer back at home which isn't surprising. I read that when he went to LSU, he hadn't been out of the 100 mile radius around Baton Rouge. One of the worries with him in the draft was how he would adapt to life in the big city. He probably is a little arrogant and probably very naive, but he's still a kid, and kids make mistakes. He's such an athletic freak, he won't have to add much to start dominating. Skiles won't let him blow his ability.

Well said.

I think Tyrus is right where he needs to be. Once he gets use to being in Chicago as he goes along he'll start working out at the Berto Center. But as long as he comes into camp in shape and looks to have improved in some areas (his shot for example looks great) I'm fine with him working out at home.

People forget Tyrus is still a very raw and unpolished product. A knock on Tyrus coming out of the draft was that it was going to take him two years to be productive. Considering Tyrus was very productive for us down the stretch last year...how can anyone have a problem with what he's done for us?

Tyrus has done nothing but exceeded expectations up to this point IMO.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Oct 27, 2007 -> 04:43 PM)

They are both similar players at the resepective stages of their careers. Kemp came into the league straight out of high school as a skinny kid with freakish athletic ability, an incredible amount of potential, and not much refinement in their games. Kemp's problem's were two fold, one he was a complete idiot, and two, he let success go to his head. Thomas already seems to be not understanding what he needs to be doing, what is going on around him, and what is being asked/expected of him. How he procedes from this point could very well determine what level of success he will have at the NBA level.