THIS DATE IN WHITE SOX HISTORY: OCTOBER 25TH/I LOVE GEOFF BLUM

StatManDu

THIS DATE IN WHITE SOX HISTORY: OCTOBER 25TH

For more, see www.whitesoxalmanac.com

2005: With one swing, Geoff Blum endeared himself to White Sox fans in perpetuity. Blum laced a solo home run into the right field bleachers in the 14th inning to give the White Sox the lead in Game 3 of the World Series. The Sox added a run later in the inning and hung on for a 7-5 victory over the Astros in Houston to move within a game of a Fall Classic sweep and their first World Series title since 1917. Blum entered the game at second base in the 13th inning and the home run came in his only at bat in the World Series. His home run is one of the great moments in the history of the White Sox. The Astros threatened in their 14th but Mark Buehrle came on and got the final out with two on sheer guts to earn the first save of his big league career and his first posting three saves in his first year of pro ball at Class-A Burlington in 1999. The game was the longest by time and innings in World Series history. The Sox fell behind 4-0 after four innings but took the lead with five in the fifth off Astro ace Roy Oswalt. Crede, in the midst of a great World Series, started the uprising with a home run. After Tadahito Iguchi and Jermaine Dye brought in runs with single, A.J. Pierzynski put the Sox on top with a two-run double. Houston tied the game in the eighth and the contest remained deadlocked until Blum stepped to the plate against rookie Ezquiel Asatacio with two out in the 14th inning. Later that day, the Sox would return to Minute Maid Park and finish off the Astros and win the World Series.

Edited by StatManDu

QUOTE(StatManDu @ Oct 25, 2007 -> 01:10 AM)
Buehrle became the first pitcher since Jim "Catfish" Hunter in 1973 to earn a win and a save in the same World Series.

StatManDu, you are StatManWrong

Also, what about all the controversy about the stadium roof? That was the big story leading up until Game 3.

Edited by RME JICO

StatManDu, you are StatManWrong <joking, Mark Buehrle did not get a win in the World Series. Pods had the walk off in Game 2, so the pitcher of record was Cotts.

Also, what about all the controversy about the stadium roof? That was the big story leading up until Game 3.

Indeed ... I made the fix. Thanks. I think I fell in love with the Catfish Hunter/Buehrle stat. I have a bad habit sometimes of fallling in love with a stat like that and not letting the facts get in the way.

As for the roof, that Astro whining was, shall we say, Cub-esque?

I love Geoff Blum

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2007 @ Oct 25, 2007 -> 04:01 AM)
How disgustingly sick was October, 2005? Between Gooch's 3-run HR off Wells, EL Duque's hocus pocus act in game 3, the A.J. play, Crede's game-winning hit in game 2 of the ALCS, Konerko's slam, Pods' shocking game-winning HR, it's so easy to forget about Blum's clutch HR. God I miss 2005.

dont forget about the 4 straight CGs, or the shellacking we gave boston in game 1

mms://a1503.v108692.c10869.g.vm.akamaistream.net/7/1503/10869/v0001/mlb.download.akamai.com/10869/2005/open/topplays/archive10/05ws_gm3_chahou_blum_hr_350.wmv?ct3=-1&ct4=mlb&ct5=26-Oct-07

Copy and paste that into an empty browser.

Edited by knightni

I had a big group of people over that night, and of course, we went nuts after Blum's homer.

The best part was that it was a work night, yet NOT ONE person left until the game was over.

Once the game ended, i left my manager a voice mail..."um, yea, the Sox game JUST ended, i'm gonna be a bit late for work tomorrow"

I watched that game downtown with friends and wound up getting home at around 2am. The next thing I did was try to move my flight to Dallas the next day to a flight to Houston and had no luck (Was working just south of Dallas over the next few days). I had to settle for moving up the flight to Dallas and driving from there to Houston. After driving for what seemed like forever, I pulled up a couple blocks away from Minute Maid and parked right on the street (crazy I know). First pitch was a half hour away and I walked around the park looking for scalpers with only $400 in my pocket. They actually had scalper booths set up around the park and it was all legal. Prices for a single ticket were going for $500 so I just waited around until the first pitch when some guy had a single ticket for $300. I jumped all over that offer and would end up sitting in the upper deck down the 3rd base line among a large group of Sox fans. Needless to say the game was awesome. I stuck around after the game to take photos near the Sox dugout and then proceeded to drive back to the small town south of Dallas where I had to work the next morning, getting calls from friends in Chicago throughout the drive back. I even played Don't Stop Believing and the Go Go White Sox song in the car a few times, with a tear in my eye. I was tired as heck the next day but of course it was all worth it.

Edited by BigSqwert