Big Hurt MileStone in '08

rockren

There have been only two players in history to have obtained at least the following stats:

.300 BA

2500 H

1500 R

1500 RBI

1500 BB

500 2B

500 HR

Those two players are Babe Ruth and Ted Williams. Frank Thomas is set to join these two all-time greats this season.

KEEP IT GOIN' BIG HURT!!

QUOTE(rockren @ Oct 25, 2007 -> 11:09 AM)
There have been only two players in history to have obtained at least the following stats:

.300 BA

2500 H

1500 R

1500 RBI

1500 BB

500 2B

500 HR

Those two players are Babe Ruth and Ted Williams. Frank Thomas is set to join these two all-time greats this season.

KEEP IT GOIN' BIG HURT!!

And some analyst were questioning rather he would ever make it the hall of fame... give me a break! After next season his jersey will be retired and he'll have his face on the wall in left field with the other white sox greats.

QUOTE(ChiSox_Sonix @ Oct 25, 2007 -> 07:45 AM)
...IF he keeps his .300 BA that is

It could be interesting.

Assuming 500 ABs, (which might be optimistic....)

If he hits .280, he would be at .3015 for his career

If he hits .270, he would be at .3009 for his career

If he hits .260, he would be at .3003 for his career

If he hits .250, he would be at .2998 for his career

QUOTE(ChiSox_Sonix @ Oct 25, 2007 -> 07:45 AM)
...IF he keeps his .300 BA that is

yeah, if Frank gets 530 at bats next year, he will have to hit at least .249 to keep his .300 average b/c that would leave him with 2541 hits in 8483 at bats, whichi is an average of .29954 and that rounds up to .300. Correct my math people, but it gonna be close for Frank.

QUOTE(rockren @ Oct 25, 2007 -> 05:09 AM)

.300 BA

2500 H

1500 R

1500 RBI

1500 BB

500 2B

500 HR

KEEP IT GOIN' BIG HURT!!

Which means Frank will be the only right handed hitter to reach this.

What a great hitter he has been.

I believe his contract expires after this year and although he's talked about playing a few more years, I wonder if 2008 will be it for him.

And I would agree he knows exactly where he stands in relation to those numbers. And just a guess on my part, the .300 career average is extremely important to him. Not a criticism but he has always been in tune with his numbers.

There is a part of me that hopes if the Blue Jays and White Sox are out if it come September of next year some sort of trade could be worked out to get his final at bat in a White Sox uniform if he intends on retiring.

I think a decent year next year and he returns for the money. A career .300 hitter is much better than a career .295, not by much but for HOF voters it could be.

QUOTE(29andPoplar @ Oct 25, 2007 -> 08:10 AM)

I believe his contract expires after this year and although he's talked about playing a few more years, I wonder if 2008 will be it for him.

And I would agree he knows exactly where he stands in relation to those numbers. And just a guess on my part, the .300 career average is extremely important to him. Not a criticism but he has always been in tune with his numbers.

I wish Frank would hang them up at the end of the year because it would be great for him to finish up with such amazing statistics. However, Frank has consistently had money problems over the past couple years and I would be stunned if he didn't stick around solely for the paycheck.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Oct 25, 2007 -> 11:46 AM)
I wish Frank would hang them up at the end of the year because it would be great for him to finish up with such amazing statistics. However, Frank has consistently had money problems over the past couple years and I would be stunned if he didn't stick around solely for the paycheck.

I was thinking the same thing.

I always wondered how much Frank loved the game. Not a criticism, not everyone is smiling like Mark, but sometimes his abilities seemed like a burden to him. If he sticks around a few seasons more, I hope he's enjoying the game.

He did a great job on the Baseball Tonight shows during the playoffs, maybe that'll be a new career for him.

Besides maintaining the .300 career average, the only other major statistical goal is 3000 hits and I would say he's every bit of 4 healthy and productive seasons away, so I don't see it. He's at 2409 now.

I also don't see a return to the White Sox as an active player, whether they are in contention or not. Agreed it would be nice though. The only possible scenario might be, Thome goes down with a season ending injury and the Sox are in contention, it's near the trade deadline, Frank is healthy and productive, and Toronto is out of the division and the wild card. Oh, and Kenny Williams contracts a bad case of amnesia. Maybe Ozzie Guillen too.

And Frank too

True enough. I didn't mention him though because all he could do is not report, forfeit whatever money is left on the contract, and retire. Unless there's a no trade clause in his deal, in which case it wouldn't happen anyways. Either way there would have to be lots of "bygones are bygones" statements.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Oct 25, 2007 -> 11:46 AM)

Didn't he sign with Toronto over Oakland because they gave him a bunch of money up front?

Frank has a $10M team option for 2009 that becomes guaranteed with 1000 PA in '07 and '08 combined or 525 PA in 2008. So if Frank has just 376 PA next season he'll have $10M guaranteed to him for 2009.

So in other words, the only way Frank retires following the 2008 season is if he's suffers a catastrophic injury.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Oct 25, 2007 -> 07:09 PM)
Frank has a $10M team option for 2009 that becomes guaranteed with 1000 PA in '07 and '08 combined or 525 PA in 2008. So if Frank has just 376 PA next season he'll have $10M guaranteed to him for 2009.

So in other words, the only way Frank retires following the 2008 season is if he's suffers a catastrophic injury.

I still think Big Frank's .300 average will be fine. The last two seasons in Oak/Tor, Frank has a BA of .274 in 997 ABs. If Frank is able to repeat those numbers the next two years he (which I believe he will) his average will have fallen to a .29966...which is a .300 average.

It's going to be insanely close at that rate...but I think he'll do it.

QUOTE(29andPoplar @ Oct 25, 2007 -> 10:10 AM)

There's an option on his contract for a 3rd year. Don't know if it becomes guaranteed based on # of at bats (I think it is) or if it's something the Jays or Frank can exercise.

Bob

QUOTE(gosox41 @ Oct 25, 2007 -> 10:35 PM)
There's an option on his contract for a 3rd year. Don't know if it becomes guaranteed based on # of at bats (I think it is) or if it's something the Jays or Frank can exercise.

Bob

That's an interesting piece of information someone should look up the contract and post the details in this thread.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Oct 25, 2007 -> 09:38 PM)
That's an interesting piece of information someone should look up the contract and post the details in this thread.

Am I the only one who knows how to use the Google here?

Frank Thomas and the Toronto Blue Jays finalized an $18.12 million, two-year contract Friday.

The Blue Jays reached a tentative deal with the 38-year-old designated hitter Wednesday night and spent Thursday working on drafting an agreement.

Thomas gets a $9.12 million signing bonus that is payable in January, a $1 million salary next year and $8 million in 2008. The deal includes a $10 million vesting option for 2009 that would become guaranteed if Thomas has 1,000 plate appearances in the next two seasons or 525 plate appearances in 2008.