Northsiders finally decide to emulate Southsiders

knightni

I think stadium/field issues are one thing Bud has been looking over. Some of the playing fields/conditions have sucked, and Bud should put pressure on all teams to never let that be a problem.

Also, I am still in shock that the Twins are allowed to build an outdoor stadium. That is going to end up being a nightmare IMO. That "Best interest of baseball" clause should have been used

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Oct 26, 2007 -> 12:12 PM)
I think stadium/field issues are one thing Bud has been looking over. Some of the playing fields/conditions have sucked, and Bud should put pressure on all teams to never let that be a problem.

Also, I am still in shock that the Twins are allowed to build an outdoor stadium. That is going to end up being a nightmare IMO. That "Best interest of baseball" clause should have been used

From what I read, there was a hard push to build a retractable style roof, but Hennepin County had no more money and Pohlad refused. From what I read the Twins are going to end up paying less than 1/3 the cost of the new ballpark, so it really falls on the ownership for being cheap-asses.

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Oct 26, 2007 -> 11:12 AM)

Why? Their weather is not much different from Chicago's from April 1 to October 1. They do average a degree or 2 cooler weather per month, which actually willl probably be good in July and August, and get an average of about 6" less rain during the course of a baseball season. Early in the season may be trouble, but its trouble here, it was a huge problem in Cleveland. Pittsburgh had problems a couple of years ago. Boston as well. The schedule makers will hopefully keep that in mind when constructing a schedule. Milwaukee has a dome, yet plays at the Cubs twice in April 2008, and the Cubs don't go to the dome until the end of July.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Oct 26, 2007 -> 12:52 PM)
He did do a hell of a job at Fenway. His patented drainage system alone will improve that god-awful field.

Bossard was interviewed on MJ&H yesterday and he discussed his changes, among them:

1. Lowering the field 14 inches. He says this will improve sightlines.

2. The problem with drainage at wrigley is that the main drainpipe for the field is only 15 inches in diameter, and that cannot be changed. What Bossard has done to help with this is install some water storage tanks around the field so that they can handle up to 60,000 gallons of water until they begin to drain into the city drainpipes. He kept referencing a microburst raining an inch, which was the equivalent of 60,000 gallons of water.

3. Mentioned the new grass and clay from KC.

4 Also mentioned that besides the goalposts, he also found some whisky bottles that he estimated from the mid to late 1800's

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Oct 27, 2007 -> 11:38 AM)
Bossard was interviewed on MJ&H yesterday and he discussed his changes, among them:

1. Lowering the field 14 inches. He says this will improve sightlines.

2. The problem with drainage at wrigley is that the main drainpipe for the field is only 15 inches in diameter, and that cannot be changed. What Bossard has done to help with this is install some water storage tanks around the field so that they can handle up to 60,000 gallons of water until they begin to drain into the city drainpipes. He kept referencing a microburst raining an inch, which was the equivalent of 60,000 gallons of water.

3. Mentioned the new grass and clay from KC.

4 Also mentioned that besides the goalposts, he also found some whisky bottles that he estimated from the mid to late 1800's

They were probably from their last world series celebration.