Singleton will be back next years/Bernie Mac???

StatManDu

The great Ed Sherman had a story in today's Tribune detailing the return of Chris Singleton to the booth.

Here's the link: http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...tesox-headlines

I am an unabashed Ed Farmer fan. Love him. He can broadcast games forever as far as I am concerned.

As for Singlio ... as Farmer would say, "Uh ... No." I can't say I disliked Singleton as much as I felt sorry for him. For a guy who played the game, his knowledge of the game was weak. Off the top of my head, I know he didn't know how to keep score and he was not familiar with people in the game such as umpires and former players. He obviously was rushed into a position he was not ready for. Heckuva nice guy, though. Good player, too.

The obvious desire was to pair Farmer with Stone. Aside from myself, I would think that would be the ideal tandem. ... Paciorek would have been a great foil for Farmer.

However, let me throws this INSANE proposal out there. Last year, Bernie Mac stopped by for an inning and his interaction with Farmer went so well, he stayed for another half. It was the best inning of White Sox radio broadcasts since Rooney left. Farmer and Mac were comfortable with each other ... they were both Sox fans from the city. They talked about CVS, the old park, the current team, movies ... It was damn entertaining. All the while, Singleton was sitting in the corner probably with his mouth hanging open thinking, 'O, so this is how it's supposed to be done.' I know Mac is a Sox fan. I shook his hand after Game 1 of the World Series as I was leaving the park.

You know who else was good with Farmer? Pat Quinn. Maybe the best idea would be to find people Farmer likes and just rotate them in there. Jesse White was another one.

Thanks for listening!

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Oct 26, 2007 -> 02:41 PM)
I was really holding out hopes that Steve Stone could be worked into one of our broadcast booths. I still like Stone/Harrelson and Singleton/DJ would have made great teams.

Me and you both. :angry:

QUOTE(knightni @ Oct 26, 2007 -> 02:18 PM)
Farmer is a very solid color guy.

The Sox need a better play-by-play guy; Bernie Mac is not it.

I'd like to raid another team's radio affiliate PBP guy like the Cards did to us. Someone who can be impartial yet exciting.

I'm pretty sure Rooney was informed by the White Sox that he wasn't coming back for '06. For some reason, they didn't want him back; STL didn't take him from the White Sox. That said, it doesn't get a whole lot better than sitting back and listening to Rooney and Farmer over the summer. Too bad those days are behind us.

I would love to have Steve Stone call some games for the Sox. The guy is a class act all the way, and I don't think there are many people who could challenge his knowledge of the game either. The guy knows his stuff.

QUOTE(BaseballNick @ Oct 26, 2007 -> 03:02 PM)
I'm pretty sure Rooney was informed by the White Sox that he wasn't coming back for '06. For some reason, they didn't want him back; STL didn't take him from the White Sox. That said, it doesn't get a whole lot better than sitting back and listening to Rooney and Farmer over the summer. Too bad those days are behind us.

I would love to have Steve Stone call some games for the Sox. The guy is a class act all the way, and I don't think there are many people who could challenge his knowledge of the game either. The guy knows his stuff.

The Sox lowballed Rooney, and then looked for someone else. St Louis didn't take him.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Oct 26, 2007 -> 02:07 PM)
The Sox lowballed Rooney, and then looked for someone else. St Louis didn't take him.

That's funny considering the Sox wouldn't have been signing his checks.

There was nothing sinister or s***ty with the Sox about the way it went down. The job opened, Rooney wanted it - openly for several years - and took it.

Get Gameday Audio and listen to some of the other guys doing MLB and I think you will find the current team compares well. Farmer and Singleton call every pitch and keep you in the game. Singleton has come miles, but he had many miles to go. He has really improved his analysis spots. He needs a little more energy in his PBP,you can still tell he is laboring, and he will be fine. I'm good with this team and happy both will be back.