Crede cleared for baseball activity

RME JICO

QUOTE(rockren @ Oct 28, 2007 -> 11:26 PM)
You've gotta be kidding me. Considering he was hitting around .300 all year until the last half month until he could barely stand with those herniated discs in his back.

Describing that post as nitpicking is an understatement.

If he could "barely stand" he should have gotten surgery in the offseason. Instead, he decided to wait until the season started, and he pretty much f***ed over the sox for his salary and diminished this teams chances of winning. I wouldn't forgive him for that, as he could likely do it again, so I wouldn't give him a contract past 2008, unless it was for a ridiculously low price.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So basically, he was either slumping in September, back to reality in my opinion, and he isn't quite the player you make him out to be 30, 30, 100, .300 -or- he is a s***bird who should have had surgery because he could "barely stand" and god only knows why he didn't. Either way, I could take him or leave him.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Oct 29, 2007 -> 01:49 AM)
Joe Crede is the most underrated, overrated player on this team. I know that doesn't make sense but it's true.

No, it makes perfect sense; people think he's some deity, while others treat him like he's garbage. Truth be told, when healthy and putting up his 2006 season, he's somewhere in between, and I tend to think that's the actual Joe Crede, he just may never be healthy again.

QUOTE(rockren @ Oct 29, 2007 -> 04:29 AM)
Crede was our best all around player most of that year.

I can't believe there are actually people who think this. Then again, I log onto Soxtalk and see it right before my eyes.

Apparently Crede's defense and "clutchness" were enough to overcome the ~175 point difference in OPS betwee he and Jermaine Dye. Silly me, I guess I thought JD's season -- I'd venture to say one of the top ten indivual season's in White Sox history, although I can't prove that at the moment -- was 'most valuable' to the 2006 club.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Oct 29, 2007 -> 02:05 AM)
I can't believe there are actually people who think this. Then again, I log onto Soxtalk and see it right before my eyes.

Apparently Crede's defense and "clutchness" were enough to overcome the ~175 point difference in OPS betwee he and Jermaine Dye. Silly me, I guess I thought JD's season -- I'd venture to say one of the top ten indivual season's in White Sox history, although I can't prove that at the moment -- was 'most valuable' to the 2006 club.

Depends on how you want to determine it. If by OPS or OPS+, well, um, Frank owns like 7 of the top 10. If considering just raw power, than I'd absolutely agree, and would probably put it in the top 3 (2nd most homers in a season in Sox history, 5th best slugging)

QUOTE(max power @ Oct 28, 2007 -> 10:57 PM)
If he could "barely stand" he should have gotten surgery in the offseason. Instead, he decided to wait until the season started, and he pretty much f***ed over the sox for his salary and diminished this teams chances of winning. I wouldn't forgive him for that, as he could likely do it again, so I wouldn't give him a contract past 2008, unless it was for a ridiculously low price.

Yeah, that ticks me off, too. But, I would keep him. His defense is very good and makes a difference. Ask MB, who wouldn't have thrown a no-hitter without it. Play Fields in LF, assuming his legs are rested up. :P

Joe Crede haters don't remember Brooks Robinson.

Crede is special with the glove like Brooksie.

And he gets clutch hits like Brooksie.

Nobody is perfect, people.

Crede is an above average player.

In certain years he's an all star.

I hope the same for Fields.

I'd like to keep both of them.

If Joe is healthy I'd rather see us deal Thome and make Fields DH the next 12 years.

We've got to trade something to get something.

QUOTE(Alpha Dog @ Oct 27, 2007 -> 11:59 AM)
Whether it is or it isn't.

They need to figure out if Fields is the 3B or not. He has 35-40 hr potential for next year given 600 ABs. He is going to kill you anywhere you put him, including LF. He will be best served either playing average defense at 3rd or being a DH, but it seems both those positions are filled. Your are going to kill your def and pitching staff if you play fields 162 games in left next year. If you could get a quality player in return that files an immediate hole now I would do it. Say Fields+Prospects for Tejada.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Oct 29, 2007 -> 02:53 PM)
Joe Crede haters don't remember Brooks Robinson.

Crede is special with the glove like Brooksie.

And he gets clutch hits like Brooksie.

Nobody is perfect, people.

I hope the same for Fields.

I'd like to keep both of them.

If Joe is healthy I'd rather see us deal Thome and make Fields DH the next 12 years.

We've got to trade something to get something.

Stop listening to Hawk. Joe Crede is not Brooks Robinson.

QUOTE(joeynach @ Oct 29, 2007 -> 12:59 PM)
They need to figure out if Fields is the 3B or not. He has 35-40 hr potential for next year given 600 ABs. He is going to kill you anywhere you put him, including LF. He will be best served either playing average defense at 3rd or being a DH, but it seems both those positions are filled. Your are going to kill your def and pitching staff if you play fields 162 games in left next year. If you could get a quality player in return that files an immediate hole now I would do it. Say Fields+Prospects for Tejada.

Fields is a pretty good athlete and I fully expect him to be able to turn into an above average left fielder. I realize there will be growing pains with him as he hasn't ever played the outfield on a regular basis but he will get over them with experience out there.

Hell, he will be at least a league average defensive 3rd baseman (with the ability to be better than league average). He just won't be a gold glover and thats something a lot of people have came to expect with Crede playing over at 3rd for the past half decade.

There's no need to sign him or trade him right now.

If Joe comes back and plays well, you trade him before the deadline (if we're out of it) or make a run with him (if we're in it). You'll get more value for sure and it's not like the Sox haven't kept guys in their walk year.

If he's terrible and/or still plagued by the injury, then it's the same as trading him now. You'll get nothing in return. You let him walk at the end of the season.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Oct 29, 2007 -> 02:53 PM)

No he isn't. He's a well above average defender at 3B but his all around game is more often than not below average.

Joe Crede has never been an All Star and by my count he's had a grand total of 1 All Star Caliber season.

You've gotta be kidding me. Considering he was hitting around .300 all year until the last half month until he could barely stand with those herniated discs in his back.

Describing that post as nitpicking is an understatement.

...and he did it once. Who f***ing cares? Esteban Loaiza once won 21 games and put up a sub 3 ERA in one season with the Sox.

Thome was way better in the first half of 2006 than Crede as well.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Oct 29, 2007 -> 07:41 PM)
No he isn't. He's a well above average defender at 3B but his all around game is more often than not below average.

Joe Crede has never been an All Star and by my count he's had a grand total of 1 All Star Caliber season.

Even that is very much debatable. I would say he's had no All-Star caliber seasons, and 1 good year.

Stop listening to Hawk. Joe Crede is not Brooks Robinson.

I call bulls*** on that. Joe Crede is Brooks Robinson.

The modern day Brooks Robinson.

His defense was crucial in the Sox winning the World Series, as well as his clutch hitting.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Oct 30, 2007 -> 11:59 AM)

His defense was crucial in the Sox winning the World Series, as well as his clutch hitting.

I would take Robin Ventura in his prime over Joe Crede any day of the week and twice on sunday. Brooks Robinson my ass. What next Aaron Rowand is Willie Mays.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Oct 30, 2007 -> 12:20 PM)
I would take Robin Ventura in his prime over Joe Crede any day of the week and twice on sunday. Brooks Robinson my ass. What next Aaron Rowand is Willie Mays.

No, he is Carl Yastrzemski; that's what Hawk says anyways

QUOTE(greg775 @ Oct 30, 2007 -> 10:59 AM)

:o