Balta, FlaSoxxJim, a little help?

Texsox

Or anyone else with a little salt lake knowledge. I had never visited a salt lake before and took a beautiful fall day as an excuse to hike to La Sal del Ray. What an amazing site. What puzzled us, and I can't find information on it, was why there were so many dead birds floating on what appeared to be little salt islands. I understand the salinity would make them very bouyant, I assume that somehow this also causes the salt to form underneath and along their sides?

We saw where a pipeline (about 2") is used to pump the water into holding ponds, we also saw what looked to be 24" concrete pipes randomly scattered over the site, I assumed they are relics of old projects.

I wish I had brought my camera. Basically as we traveled closer to the shore we noticed many smaller objects floating in the water. When we got closer, we noticed it was as if someone had made little salt islands, slightly larger (1/2" maybe) than the birds, and floated them out there. Some strange bird religious ritual perhaps :lol:

The lake and surrounding area is owned by all us citizens through the US Fish and Wildlife Service. I am going to call out to their service unit at Santa Ana this morning and see if one of their staff members can shed some light on the area.