A-Rod opts out of contract with Yankees

SoxPride56

A-Rod opts out of contract with Yankees

Associated Press, Updated 5 minutes ago

DENVER (AP) - Alex Rodriguez opted out of his $252 million, 10-year contract with the Yankees on Sunday in what appears to be the end of his career with New York.

Agent Scott Boras said in an e-mail to The Associated Press that Rodriguez had made the decision.

MORE TO COME

Forgot the link:

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7381184

Edited by SoxPride56

Oh yeah, it's on.

I bet deep down, 1 of 2 things happened. Either the Yankees offered him a fair deal, and he genuinely decided he didn't want to stay in New York any more after the beatings of the last few years, of there's some element of tampering by another team, which will never truly be found out. One of the 2.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Oct 28, 2007 -> 08:07 PM)
3. Ramirez. Obviously thats not going to totally stop the Cubs for pursuing Alex, but Al-Rod would have to be signed before Aram was traded. You have then really minimized the value of Aram, because you have forced your own hand.

TheRiot?

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Oct 29, 2007 -> 03:07 AM)
Aside from Lou, the Cubs make zero sense.

1.Ownership is in question. Nothing will be in place by the time Alex signs a new deal, so a deal that is paying a player 30 million+ really doesn't seem like a possibility.

2. Cubs financial situation. I believe the Cubs already have 75+ locked into 2010. They really are not set up that well for the future, and I don't see them locking themselves into a deal THAT BIG.

3. Ramierez. Obviously thats not going to totally stop the Cubs for pursuing Alex, but Al-Rod would have to be signed before Aram was traded. You have then really minimized the value of Aram, because you have forced your own hand.

I really think the Dodgers make the most sense, with the Angels close behind, and the Giants in 3rd.

The only way the Cubs could be the team is if Boras knows who will be the new owner, and they've talked.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 28, 2007 -> 10:55 PM)
Oh yeah, it's on.

I bet deep down, 1 of 2 things happened. Either the Yankees offered him a fair deal, and he genuinely decided he didn't want to stay in New York any more after the beatings of the last few years, of there's some element of tampering by another team, which will never truly be found out. One of the 2.

I don't think either is likely. The rumors were along the lines of 5 years, $140 mil, or $27.5 mil per. That's basically what he's earning now. Boras thinks he can do better. I think it's as simple as that.

The fact that he opted out so soon (well before he was required to) suggests that he thinks ARod can do MUCH better. We'll find out soon enough.

QUOTE(DrunkBomber @ Oct 28, 2007 -> 08:09 PM)
leave it to a Yankee to make an announcement like this a few innings before the Red Sox are about to win the World Series.

Joe Buck just noted that Red Sox owner John Henry was on his blackberry and smiling, and assumed it was because he knew ARod was available, and not because HIS TEAM WAS 6 OUTS AWAY FROM A SET OF RINGS.

This is actually funny. If I was the Red Sox, I would be genuinely annoyed.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Oct 28, 2007 -> 08:12 PM)
I don't think either is likely. The rumors were along the lines of 5 years, $140 mil, or $27.5 mil per. That's basically what he's earning now. Boras thinks he can do better. I think it's as simple as that.

No, that wasn't the rumor. The rumor was 5 years, $140 million ON TOP of the 3 years, $28 million a year remaining on his current deal. So they were talking on the order of 8 years, $225 million or so, with the Rangers still picking up $21 mil.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 28, 2007 -> 10:13 PM)
Joe Buck just noted that Red Sox owner John Henry was on his blackberry and smiling, and assumed it was because he knew ARod was available, and not because HIS TEAM WAS 6 OUTS AWAY FROM A SET OF RINGS.

This is actually funny. If I was the Red Sox, I would be genuinely annoyed.

I dont see much anyone living in or around Boston has to complain about these days. The Yankees losinf ARod just adds to the enjoyment of the Celtics big three, Patriots, BC and of course winning the World Series.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 28, 2007 -> 11:14 PM)
No, that wasn't the rumor. The rumor was 5 years, $140 million ON TOP of the 3 years, $28 million a year remaining on his current deal. So they were talking on the order of 8 years, $225 million or so, with the Rangers still picking up $21 mil.

Yes, I know it was an extension. But the annual salary would have at best stayed the same. Boras is thinking that ARod can go 7 or 8 years, $30 mil+, I think. Maybe ++, I dunno. But a lot.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Oct 28, 2007 -> 08:19 PM)
Yes, I know it was an extension. But the annual salary would have at best stayed the same. Boras is thinking that ARod can go 7 or 8 years, $30 mil+, I think. Maybe ++, I dunno. But a lot.

I'm not in on the game obviously...but I'll bet you that Boras could have gone to the Yankees and said that a 7 year extension worth $30 a year would keep him, and I'll bet the Yankees would have done it right now. They're about to dump an awful lot of money around to keep some consistency now that Torre has gone.

IMO, if this was about money, he'd never have opted out. The Yankees could have met any price ARod genuinely could have asked for.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 28, 2007 -> 11:23 PM)
I'm not in on the game obviously...but I'll bet you that Boras could have gone to the Yankees and said that a 7 year extension worth $30 a year would keep him, and I'll bet the Yankees would have done it right now. They're about to dump an awful lot of money around to keep some consistency now that Torre has gone.

IMO, if this was about money, he'd never have opted out. The Yankees could have met any price ARod genuinely could have asked for.

I seriously doubt that. If they wanted to be SURE they kept him, they would've offered more money initially. At least offer a salary hike if you want to flatter someone. This appears to be NY's m.o. this offseason -- offer a contract you believe the guy won't accept, just so you can say you tried.

The man is insane.

Boras hasn't said how much he believes Rodriguez is worth on the open market, but he suggested in interviews that Rodriguez could be worth $500 million to the Yankees over the next 10 years. It's clear he's shooting for a deal well in excess of $300 million, perhaps even as much as $400 million. Rodriguez was to make $91 million over the final three years of his Rangers/Yankees deal.

Not a shock he opted out as Boras is all about getting his players to free agency.

Hank Steinbrenner emphatically states it's a goodbye, the Yankees are out.

Boras will now do what Boras does best, he'll play one team vs. the other, drag this out for a while.

Now the speculation begins. Arguably every team could use ARod but only a few will fit, both financially and in terms of competitiveness and market.

Mets are an option but quite possibly Rodriguez and his wife want out of NY (although I believe $$$ will make this decision in the end).

Red Sox, Dodgers, Angels, Cubs also come to mind and I agree with the poster who mentioned Giants.

My guess is Dodgers or Angels, the whole LA marketing aura fits with Boras' M.O. and both teams have a pressing need for a big bat. I don't see it with the Cubs due to ownership issues but then again it won't be the Tribune Co. footing the tab. Pinella is a selling point but he has two more years and then he may very well retire. But I would not count the Cubs out of this, they have shown they'll spend and spend a lot.

The White Sox will inquire but IMO will be used as pawns, at best.

I got a huge kick out of the "reasons" Boras listed though. ARod doesn't know who the closer will be, doesn't know about an ace pitcher, doesn't know about the catcher blah blah blah. The opt out clause was there for a reason, to get ARod to free agency once again.

Its funny the outrage some, particularly Peter Gammons are having at the timing of the opt out. Even MLB is pissed. Well I say so what. Like the Red Sox don't get enough attention and steal other team's opportunities for attention every damn year. Its all orchestrated by Boras, and I agree with Ken Rosenthal. Boras already had a pretty good idea of where ARod is headed and what he'll be making before he told the Yankees good bye.