Edgar Renteria traded to the Tigers

southsideirish71

Tigers acquired shortstop Edgar Renteria from the Braves for RHP Jair Jurrjens and outfielder Gorkys Hernandez. That was remarkably quick. That Renteria is being dealt is no surprise, and it figured that the Tigers would be high on the list of suitors. However, we don't see wht the Braves felt they had to make the move today when better offers could have come later. This simply isn't a great return for a player who was one of the best in the NL last season. Renteria hit .332/.390/.470 in 2007, and he's under control for a very reasonable $20 million over two years (the second year is at Detroit's option). The Tigers did quite well to get him now. It'll certainly head off any Alex Rodriguez speculation

Another pesky hitter to add to their lineup. Kenny better get going. Renteria would of been an upgrade over Uribe.

Edited by southsideirish71

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very interesting . Are either of those prospects considered A prospects? Jurjens has a pretty good arm, but I don't think he grades out as an A prospect (unless he's considered super projectable and that could be the case as I'm not fully up to date on Tigers prospects). He's also relatively young for his age (21 and has already pitched in 7 major league games).

Gorky's is an extremely young outfielder with a ton of speed and decent numbers in his first full season. He doesn't hit for much power and the only way he'd amount to being an A level prospect is if he is very projectable with scouts thinking his power numbers would really take off.

This seems like a pretty good overall move for the Tigers. The Braves are getting some solid spects but nothing top notch (like i said, I could be off as I'm not a genius when it comes to the Tigers system).

I am guessing a similar package from the Sox would have probably taken an extra prospect but it could have been done without giving up Gio/DLS. Broadway/McCulloch/Egbert could have been the pitcher (note that I think none of them are as good as the pitching prospect the Tigers gave up) with Carter potentially being the other piece (he is better than the other prospect). I also could imagine the Sox could maybe find a way to give up a combo of pitching prospects not named Gio/DLS and a lesser position prospect.

QUOTE(fathom @ Oct 29, 2007 -> 03:37 PM)
Ugh....the first move, and the AL Central already becomes tougher. It's ok though, this time of the year is fun. I still believe Tejada and Furcal are more likely options than Renteria was.

That would be nice. I have a feeling that Uribe and his potential will be back to spin in a circle and tell Farmio profundo.

I would have preferred Renteria to Tejada. Simply put I think Tejada is more likely to break down, plus I don't care much about power as I think the sox still have plenty of pop in there lineup. I'm more concerned with the table setters.

Furcal is still my top choice, especially if he could be had for prospects not named Gio/DSL/Carter. The Sox obviously could also offer a veteran starter, but if they add Arod they probably wouldn't want to add a starter that makes much money.

QUOTE(fathom @ Oct 29, 2007 -> 02:37 PM)
Ugh....the first move, and the AL Central already becomes tougher. It's ok though, this time of the year is fun. I still believe Tejada and Furcal are more likely options than Renteria was.

yeah, that to me is the worry. Not that the Sox weren't in on some specific trade, but that Detroit just improved significantly, by basically replacing Sean Casey with Renteria in the lineup.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Oct 29, 2007 -> 03:41 PM)
I would have preferred Renteria to Tejada. Simply put I think Tejada is more likely to break down, plus I don't care much about power as I think the sox still have plenty of pop in there lineup. I'm more concerned with the table setters.

Furcal is still my top choice, especially if he could be had for prospects not named Gio/DSL/Carter. The Sox obviously could also offer a veteran starter, but if they add Arod they probably wouldn't want to add a starter that makes much money.

You figure with Hu ready to go, that Furcal should be on the block. We could use a leadoff hitter, and a shortstop.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Oct 29, 2007 -> 08:45 PM)
They want Furcal gone; offer Contreras

I really wish people would stop saying this trade as if it's possible. If the Dodgers are looking to get out of Furcal's contract, why would they take on a bad contract that still has a few more years on it? If we're going to get Furcal, it's going to have to be for Garland.

QUOTE(fathom @ Oct 29, 2007 -> 03:47 PM)
I really wish people would stop saying this trade as if it's possible. If the Dodgers are looking to get out of Furcal's contract, why would they take on a bad contract that still has a few more years on it? If we're going to get Furcal, it's going to have to be for Garland.

I'm just reaching for straws more than anything.

The Braves site says Renteria is due to become a free agent after this coming season (2008). If that is true, Detroit is giving up two talented young players for a rental. The CF prospect is extremely highly regarded.

What this speaks to, as much as anything, is the Tigers drafting. They take CF prospects just about every year, just as the Phillies do. Speedy 4/5 tool CF prospects can net just about anything you want in trade. They still have Maybin so this kid was a tradeable asset. Not to be a downer but meanwhile the White Sox sit with Brian Anderson, who might fetch a middle relief prospect at best. All we can do is hope the new scouting direction will give the White Sox more results.

It also speaks to Atlanta's scouting and development because I believe they've got someone ready to step in.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Oct 29, 2007 -> 03:40 PM)
If KW isnt in serious talks about Furcal then I can already see our 3rd place finish.

3rd place? That's actually pretty positive if you ask me.

You know... for that price... MAN, renteria would have been nice.

QUOTE(29andPoplar @ Oct 29, 2007 -> 08:48 PM)
The Braves site says Renteria is due to become a free agent after this coming season (2008). If that is true, Detroit is giving up two talented young players for a rental. The CF prospect is extremely highly regarded.

What this speaks to, as much as anything, is the Tigers drafting. They take CF prospects just about every year, just as the Phillies do. Speedy 4/5 tool CF prospects can net just about anything you want in trade. They still have Maybin so this kid was a tradeable asset. Not to be a downer but meanwhile the White Sox sit with Brian Anderson, who might fetch a middle relief prospect at best. All we can do is hope the new scouting direction will give the White Sox more results.

It also speaks to Atlanta's scouting and development because I believe they've got someone ready to step in.

He has 2 yrs, 20 mil left including a team option. Escobar will be stepping in for the Braves. FWIW, Gorkys is a better offensive prospect than anyone the Sox have.

QUOTE(fathom @ Oct 29, 2007 -> 03:47 PM)

Give them Jon.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Oct 29, 2007 -> 08:50 PM)
Give them Jon.

That would be a terrible trade for the Sox. Furcal is a FA after the upcoming season. If you trade Garland, you better get some talent that will be in the organization for the next few years. It's not like we're in a situation where we're one player away from contending for the pennant in 2008.