Edgar Renteria traded to the Tigers

southsideirish71

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Oct 29, 2007 -> 04:17 PM)
Construct a package of White Sox prospects better than what the Tigers gave up and get back to me...

Here's how I would rate the two players they gave up were they in our system...

Gio

DLS

Jurrjens

Carter

Poreda

Hernandez

Sweeney

Eggy

Shelby

Jurrjens upside is said to be a 3rd starter at best. Its pretty easy, find out spects that top out at third starter potential. Couple that his already balky shoulder in his early 20's and he is not exactly the best spec. He is a good one, ill give you that, but not nearly worth Renteria's production. ATL gave up too much for what they got in return looking at their lineup and what they lost. Now if that extra money allows them to sign someone else, then it wont be such a bad trade. If you like, I can cite actual experts opinions on it as it comes out as well. Maybe that will at least give some better insight than "your ignorance is showing."

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

by Will Carroll

The Tigers didn’t waste any time making the first big Hot Stove deal — assuming you don’t count the Alex Rodriguez opt-out — by trading for Edgar Renteria. The Braves receive Jair Jurrjens and Gorkys Hernandez in return.

I checked with BP prospect guru Kevin Goldstein who said, “Jurrjens is just 21 years old and has already proven the ability to hold his own in the big leagues. The Curacao native isn’t especially big or projectable, but what he is now is pretty darn good, as he throws a low 90s fastball, decent slider, and deceptive changeup. Scouts do wonder is he has a big league out pitch and see him as more of a No. 4 starter type – a role the Braves could use him in immediately.

“Hernandez hit .293/.344/.391 in the Midwest League this year for his full-season debut while also leading the Midwest League with 54 stolen bases. He’s an absolutely burner on the base paths, and also a spectacular center fielder with a plus arm. Despite the numbers, he’s still more tools than performance. He needs to either hone his approach to develop into a leadoff man, or develop more power (the bat speed is there) to become a dynamic power/speed combo. Very high upside, but obviously some risk. He’ll likely begin next year at High A Myrtle Beach.

Both players were going to be slam dunk top five prospects on the upcoming Detroit prospect rankings.”

Frank Wren’s first deal as Braves GM was made with his former boss in Florida, Dave Dombrowski, though sources tell me that this deal began with John Schuerholz and was discussed as far back as the trading deadline. The deal’s timing may have been a surprise, but off-loading Renteria and his $9m contract (plus $11m option for 2009) is one many had anticipated. The move solidifies the Tigers middle infield after moving Carlos Guillen to first and quickly shuts off the bubbling rumors of Alex Rodriguez to Detroit. For the Braves, this opens up a spot for Yunel Escobar, though Brent Lillibridge is still blocked unless a move to CF is made.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Oct 29, 2007 -> 04:22 PM)
Jurrjens upside is said to be a 3rd starter at best. Its pretty easy, find out spects that top out at third starter potential. Couple that his already balky shoulder in his early 20's and he is not exactly the best spec. He is a good one, ill give you that, but not nearly worth Renteria's production. ATL gave up too much for what they got in return looking at their lineup and what they lost. Now if that extra money allows them to sign someone else, then it wont be such a bad trade. If you like, I can cite actual experts opinions on it as it comes out as well. Maybe that will at least give some better insight than "your ignorance is showing."

Maybe you stopped reading after the first line. I explained how those prospects were better than almost all of our system. Insight isn't just a bowl game.

ATL gave up Marte for two years of Renteria and two very good prospects... Sounds like they didn't get raped to me.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Oct 29, 2007 -> 04:30 PM)
Maybe you stopped reading after the first line. I explained how those prospects were better than almost all of our system. Insight isn't just a bowl game.

ATL gave up Marte for two years of Renteria and two very good prospects... Sounds like they didn't get raped to me.

Great. Our system is garbage, what kind of comparison is that? They didnt get equal value for what they gave up, is that an ok analogy for you? If it accompanies other moves, then it may even out which it looks like was their focus from the get go. From a standpoint of player for player, they got the short end of the stick based on Edgar's production this season. Of course if he reverts back to AL Edgar and JJ can be a productive 3rd of 4th starter this season, then they make look like geniuses. I dont put much stock in this kid staying healthy however.

And I dont need the snide remarks every time you respond to my posts. Its just not necessary and is quite juvenile.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Oct 29, 2007 -> 04:12 PM)
Really? A young unproven pitcher with a bad rotator cuff and a 3rd starter upside and a "toolsy" Of'er for a proven MLB SS who had a great year isnt getting raped? They certainly didnt win the deal.

He's 32, on the downside of his career, and had an outlier year in the weakest league in baseball. This was a stupid trade by the Tigers.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Oct 29, 2007 -> 02:37 PM)
The Braves were BADLY in need of some pitching. Getting a solid, if unspectacular pitcher, with Escobar taking over at ss, could be a big improvement overall.

And...saving a lot of money that could be spent in other places (resigning Tex?), and getting an OF that could in a couple years take over the hole being left by Jones....that's not a bad formula.

Between Jones walking and Renteria traded...the Braves have freed up at least $20 million in salary compared to 07, depending on what exactly happens with all the money Boston sent over with Renteria.

Edited by Balta1701

QUOTE(29andPoplar @ Oct 29, 2007 -> 01:48 PM)
The Braves site says Renteria is due to become a free agent after this coming season (2008). If that is true, Detroit is giving up two talented young players for a rental. The CF prospect is extremely highly regarded.

What this speaks to, as much as anything, is the Tigers drafting. They take CF prospects just about every year, just as the Phillies do. Speedy 4/5 tool CF prospects can net just about anything you want in trade. They still have Maybin so this kid was a tradeable asset. Not to be a downer but meanwhile the White Sox sit with Brian Anderson, who might fetch a middle relief prospect at best. All we can do is hope the new scouting direction will give the White Sox more results.

It also speaks to Atlanta's scouting and development because I believe they've got someone ready to step in.

The Braves have multiple guys ready step in at SS. In fact they have already gotten pretty good production out of at least one of thoes guys (Yunel Escobar) down the stretch last season.

QUOTE(fathom @ Oct 29, 2007 -> 01:55 PM)
It would have to be a damn good prospect, and unfortunately, we only have two of those. Like what I said about Garland, you can't trade DLS or Gio for a one year contract.

Carter is considered a damn good prospect, so there is at least 3 in the Sox system. Poreda (who is untradeable right now as he was drafted this past year) is also very highly thought of.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 29, 2007 -> 05:50 PM)
And...saving a lot of money that could be spent in other places (resigning Tex?), and getting an OF that could in a couple years take over the hole being left by Jones....that's not a bad formula.

Between Jones walking and Renteria traded...the Braves have freed up at least $20 million in salary compared to 07, depending on what exactly happens with all the money Boston sent over with Renteria.

That's true, I wasn't even thinking about Teixeira. I'd still be surprised if he cut an extension, though. Boras loves the free market even more than anyone at Cato or Heritage.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 29, 2007 -> 04:50 PM)

Thats what this could hinge on, what they do with the money saved.

Point is-they gave up NOTHING to strengthen them significantly. WE will trade Garland an established starting pitcher, and get less. Thats the faith I have in Williams

....and yet if the Sox gave up those "NOTHING" prospects, 90% of the people who never seen them pitch would be b****ing about a career NL hitter.