How to befriend a Professor

Texsox

QUOTE(Texsox @ Oct 30, 2007 -> 06:06 PM)

Under the "warnings" section:

Be careful when following this advice in a University in England. English University culture is very different from that in America and elsewhere, and attempting to befriend a lecturer can give you the negative stigma associated with being a 'teacher's pet'.

gotta love the unintentional wiki humor....

was there ever a positive stigma with being a "teacher's pet?"

QUOTE(Felix @ Oct 30, 2007 -> 06:25 PM)
Balta/Jim are professors? That explains a lot :P

Balta is working on it, as is Soxy. :cheers

I have already Piled it Higher and Deeper, and now I have the reast of my life to regret opting for poverty as a profession! :lolhitting

And, by the way, none of those things on that list work if a student is trying to befriend me nearly as well as a 6-pack of Guinness on nights when I gave to grade papers. :drink

Edited by FlaSoxxJim

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Oct 31, 2007 -> 11:46 AM)
Balta is working on it, as is Soxy. :cheers

I have already Piled it Higher and Deeper, and now I have the reast of my life to regret opting for poverty as a profession! :lolhitting

You remind me of my History of Rock/Music & Movies teacher (same teacher for each class), although I don't think he was nearly as much of a Zappa fan (much more of a Dylan fan.. ridiculous Dylan fan). He was from Chicago though...

QUOTE(Felix @ Oct 31, 2007 -> 01:54 PM)
You remind me of my History of Rock/Music & Movies teacher (same teacher for each class), although I don't think he was nearly as much of a Zappa fan (much more of a Dylan fan.. ridiculous Dylan fan). He was from Chicago though...

Ach, if only I could teach a Rock History class and a History of Beer class, my life would be perfect!

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Oct 31, 2007 -> 11:46 AM)
And, by the way, none of those things on that list work if a student is trying to befriend me nearly as well as a 6-pack of Guinness on nights when I gave to grade papers. :drink

Would you really accept a six-pack from a student?

QUOTE(Felix @ Oct 31, 2007 -> 11:54 AM)
History of Rock

Oh man, Tennessee used to have the best History of Rock class ever until the university decided they wanted to more standardize the class. They wouldn't let one of the 2 professors teach how he wanted to (and how he had always taught it), so he doesn't teach it anymore. It used to be ranked by Playboy and some other subscriptions as one of the best college classes in the country. Now, not so much... I really hate the administration here at UT.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm on good terms with all my Professors, not including several who aren't my professors but who I've met through various circumstances. I have found that professors, like anyone else, get along with people who have a good sense of humor and are intelligent. I wouldn't go so far as to call any of them my "friends" simply because they are my teachers and first and foremost I count them as such, but I am friendly with all of them and it goes both ways.

And Critic? Not ONE word!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Of course, there'd be more than one word if I were... shhhh....

(Ignore that last part, anyone else.)