Is this harassment?

LosMediasBlancas

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Nov 1, 2007 -> 04:36 PM)
:lol: I forgot the green. I thought it was implied ;)

Its not really that far off with IT folks, which was the funny part. We had a guy get in trouble with HR when he created a graphic screensaver with Buffy the Vampire slayer, and he superimposed himself performing a few implied sexual acts with sound might I ad. Outside of the fact that it was pretty good production quality, the lady with the WWJD bracelet next to them called HR to complain.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Nov 1, 2007 -> 06:07 PM)
Its not really that far off with IT folks, which was the funny part. We had a guy get in trouble with HR when he created a graphic screensaver with Buffy the Vampire slayer, and he superimposed himself performing a few implied sexual acts with sound might I ad. Outside of the fact that it was pretty good production quality, the lady with the WWJD bracelet next to them called HR to complain.

lol... prude

The plot thickens...

I spoke with Mary yesterday and asked her what she thinks might be behind all of this. She told me that a few days before the talk with the HR woman, she was asked out on a date by a VP of the company. She politely and directly declined the offer. She suspects that this information got back to the all male, uppper management 'clique' and that this newly imposed dress code might be a form of revenge or punishment.

In other words, Ok b****, if you're not gonna let any of us have it, then we're not gonna allow you to throw it our faces every day either. Of course, this is all pure speculation and would be impossible to prove.

I don't believe this is sexual harrasment per se, but it has to be in violation of something.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 1, 2007 -> 04:10 PM)
Also, I dont know about you guys, but I almost always find women in business attire who are assertive extremely more attractive than many of the "girls" I see out at the bars on the weekends.

YES! Business attire on an already attractive woman is the hottest thing ever.

Edited by LosMediasBlancas

This is such a gray area.

I work in Law Enforcement (you could probably guess exactly what) and I've taken complaints on this kind of thing, but it's always a civil issue.

I have heard much worse than this and it has gone to civil courts and dismissed. So as far as "Mary" taking action...it wouldn't even be worth trying. If it has made her as uncomfortable as she claims (rightfully so if that's the case) then she should just find a new job. It's sad and perhaps unfair advice, but it is what it is.

Her boss is a creep IMO for commenting on her body no matter how casual he said it.

Edited by rockren

QUOTE(rockren @ Nov 2, 2007 -> 04:26 AM)
This is such a gray area.

I work in Law Enforcement (you could probably guess exactly what) and I've taken complaints on this kind of thing, but it's always a civil issue.

I have heard much worse than this and it has gone to civil courts and dismissed. So as far as "Mary" taking action...it wouldn't even be worth trying. If it has made her as uncomfortable as she claims (rightfully so if that's the case) then she should just find a new job. It's sad and perhaps unfair advice, but it is what it is.

Her boss is a creep IMO for commenting on her body no matter how casual he said it.

Being made to feel uncomfortable due to sexual undercurrents in the work place. That sounds like the definition of sexual harassment to me. And with her turning down a VP, then it is followed immediately by comments about appropriate attire which apparently never was mentioned previously, she's got the foundation of a case there. Keeping that journal and a daily digital picture should put her in good shape.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Nov 2, 2007 -> 02:52 AM)
The plot thickens...

I spoke with Mary yesterday and asked her what she thinks might be behind all of this. She told me that a few days before the talk with the HR woman, she was asked out on a date by a VP of the company. She politely and directly declined the offer. She suspects that this information got back to the all male, uppper management 'clique' and that this newly imposed dress code might be a form of revenge or punishment.

In other words, Ok b****, if you're not gonna let any of us have it, then we're not gonna allow you to throw it our faces every day either. Of course, this is all pure speculation and would be impossible to prove.

I don't believe this is sexual harrasment per se, but it has to be in violation of something.

What exactly does she do again?

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Nov 2, 2007 -> 02:52 AM)
In other words, Ok b****, if you're not gonna let any of us have it, then we're not gonna allow you to throw it our faces every day either.

I thought she wasn't throwing it in their faces?

The plot thickens...

prs_batemanthumb.jpg

"Jean, don't wear that outfit again."

We had a guy get in trouble with HR when he created a graphic screensaver with Buffy the Vampire slayer, and he superimposed himself performing a few implied sexual acts with sound might I ad. Outside of the fact that it was pretty good production quality, the lady with the WWJD bracelet next to them called HR to complain.

haha those nerds.

sounds like a good match-up: Buffy worshipping computer nerd vs WWJD bracelet lady.

Edited by mr_genius

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Nov 17, 2007 -> 02:07 AM)
Update:

Her immediate boss (not the Pres.) let the cat out of the bag. She will be getting a promotion in January.

What do you make of it all now?

Perhaps she was being prepared for the even more conservative bosses higher up? It's a sad shame that females must maintain a higher level of professionalism in order to make their $.70 on the $1.00 compared to men, but it is what it is. Is she comfortable with that logic or does she feel it's a line?

Most organizations I've been in the males dressed for their position, which becomes more conservative as you become promoted. The females also.

Cynic says: Let's promote her before she sues us for harrassment.

Optimist says: They are grooming her for the promotion and really care abuot her success.

Time will tell.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Nov 17, 2007 -> 03:07 AM)
Update:

Her immediate boss (not the Pres.) let the cat out of the bag. She will be getting a promotion in January.

What do you make of it all now?

cat out of the bag?

I though the problem was that he couldn't get the pussy in there in the first place? :ph34r: :lol:

QUOTE(Steff @ Nov 17, 2007 -> 07:17 AM)
Perhaps she was being prepared for the even more conservative bosses higher up? It's a sad shame that females must maintain a higher level of professionalism in order to make their $.70 on the $1.00 compared to men, but it is what it is. Is she comfortable with that logic or does she feel it's a line?

Does it matter?

Let's assume that the Pres. had good intentions. Let's assume (as Tex mentioned) that it was protective, fatherly type advice. Let's assume someone made some kind of crass comment to the Pres. about Mary and he's just trying to look out for her. Let's also assume that this promotion had been in the works for a while. The situation was still mishandled.

She's gonna stay for now, take the promotion, the new title, the raise, fatten up her resume and look for something else in the spring. They're also going to put her through some kind of courses and get her certified, so she's gonna use them for that too.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Nov 18, 2007 -> 12:57 AM)
Does it matter?

Let's assume that the Pres. had good intentions. Let's assume (as Tex mentioned) that it was protective, fatherly type advice. Let's assume someone made some kind of crass comment to the Pres. about Mary and he's just trying to look out for her. Let's also assume that this promotion had been in the works for a while. The situation was still mishandled.

She's gonna stay for now, take the promotion, the new title, the raise, fatten up her resume and look for something else in the spring. They're also going to put her through some kind of courses and get her certified, so she's gonna use them for that too.

It only matters to her. She's staying so apparently she's fine with what and how it went down. Good luck to her. Hopefully it all works out in the wash.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Nov 18, 2007 -> 12:57 AM)
Does it matter?

Therte isn't a company on the planet that hasn't made an error in HR. Serious mistakes should be dealt with legally and to the fullest extent possible. Others are better non calls, no harm, no foul. It's her call. I still think they were trying to help and fumbled big time.