Torii Hunter

Allsox

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Nov 13, 2007 -> 08:35 PM)
Jones has Boras as his agent, you might as well get that thought out of your head.

I would rather have Fukudome, but the competition on him might be steep.

It might be steeper in teams, but it can't possibly be steeper in dollars than Hunter.

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(fathom @ Nov 13, 2007 -> 08:34 PM)
I absolutely HATE the idea of signing Jones to one year. If he does well, then he'll obviously sign a huge deal elsewhere after the season's over. I don't have much hope for Fukodome, especially because he's supposed to be a corner.

So, the fact that we'd get the 2 draft picks if he walked after 1 year doesn't make anyone feel better about that? And anyway, I'd try the "offer him 5 years but give him the 2 year out clause" J.D. Drew type route and let him see if that worked. But anyway, yeah I'm dreaming on that one.

Ive always believed in Javy.

He has the best stuff of our staff, and I really dont see why the fact that he now has stability and consistency gets over looked.

He was good in Montreal, he started of as an All-Star with the Yankees. A lot of players have gone south in the Bronx and never came back (Steve Sax).

You cant blame him for Chris Young, he didnt make the deal. Blame the people who thought Brian Anderson was the next big thing, and in reality a lot of people on this board thought Anderson was going to do big things as well. Some times you make a bad decision, but why are we punishing a guy that had nothing to do with it?

Javy pitched well to start his first season, he lost some tough games and then started to give up runs. By the end of the season he started to turn it around and this year he was pretty good. He signed a fair deal with us, has shown that he wants to be a White Sox player, and yet people constantly want to knock on him.

What really has he done thats so bad?

I absolutely HATE the idea of signing Jones to one year. If he does well, then he'll obviously sign a huge deal elsewhere after the season's over. I don't have much hope for Fukodome, especially because he's supposed to be a corner.

Why would that matter to the Sox? By July 27th, Jones would've been traded for a couple of 25 year old A-ballers.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Nov 13, 2007 -> 11:18 PM)
and that couldn't be farther from the truth

I give Hunter a 10% chance of staying in Minny next year. That's if he doesn't like what he hears in FA and decides to just go ahead and take the hometown discount at the 3yrs/45 mil that was offered him. 10% may be a little too high, but a 90% chance that he gets at least 5yrs/75 mil from another franchise sounds about right.

The chances of them resigning Johan? About a 5% chances- now I know that is high considering Johan was asking why he was still there in the middle of last year.

Chances of them both staying? ZERO. Predicting that ownership will invest 35 plus million a year into two players is a pipe dream to any Twinkie backer.

With regard to Hunter, Rowand, Jones, etc. If you want to get such a coveted free agent, you will have to pay too much- in dollars and/or in years. See for example, every free agent ever (who doesn't have some injury or other glaring check against him). No, they may not be "worth" their contract, but not getting them (depending on the market) may mean not making the playoffs (for any given team- not specifically referring to Sox here). Yes they cost too much. But for cost too much guys, I like Hunter, Rowand, Jones, Cameron better than Sarge Jr.-Pierre-D. Roberts, from last year.

And on Cabrera- despite all the rumors, the Sox getting him would shock me more than anything. There was a horsecrap piece on Foxsports saying something like, "the Sox may not have the prospects, but they've got another ace up their sleeve!!" which, near as I can tell referred to Ozzie's good relationship with Cabrera. So Florida will take a s***ty deal.......because Ozzie and Cabrera are chums.

Among other things, Florida dangling him right after A-Rodrig opted out of his contract sure seems like a grab for the Yanks hotshot pitching prospects.

QUOTE(bschmaranz @ Nov 14, 2007 -> 01:35 AM)
For what it's worth, Steve Phillips (via a radio clip on Insider) said the White Sox have a good shot at winding up with both Torii Hunter and Miguel Cabrera.

Of course I'll believe it when I see it.

Don't tease me like that.

I like Phillips.. he's been a White Sox optimist since joining ESPN. But sometimes he says very outragous things... Come on get both Hunter and Cabrera?? KW doesn't have the money or the minor league resources to make tha happen... unless he deals Konerko or Garland or Crede....

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Nov 13, 2007 -> 10:16 PM)
We will see in 2008. Javy has had good seasons before, and followed them up with not so good seasons. We will see if he's "found it" or if he goes back to the mediocre guy he was the previous 3 seasons. Where was he the first 4 months of 2006? His record was below .500 on a 90 win team, his ERA was higher than the league average. Pretty mediocre. He did well in 2007, but still has to be considered a wild card.

I like Vazquez, but the time to deal him is now. I have to think the Mets would do Lastings Milledge for Vazquez and Sweeney.

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Nov 14, 2007 -> 09:15 AM)
I like Phillips.. he's been a White Sox optimist since joining ESPN. But sometimes he says very outragous things... Come on get both Hunter and Cabrera?? KW doesn't have the money or the minor league resources to make tha happen... unless he deals Konerko or Garland or Crede....

There are too many eager teams with the resources to obtain Cabrera diectly. I do not think Crede does much for the Sox in a trade. However, if the Sox are serious about a three-way trade involving some mixture of Konerko, Garland and Josh Fields for prospects, it is a real possibility.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Nov 13, 2007 -> 11:58 PM)
Thank you

Who is this Torii Hunter and who is he hunting? Why does he spell his name wrong? We should not have new thread everytime his name is mentioned in some baseball experts column. Wait till something really happens. Now let's talk about keeping Joe Crede. :gosoxretro: :cheers

QUOTE(Beltin'Bill @ Nov 14, 2007 -> 03:50 PM)
There are too many eager teams with the resources to obtain Cabrera diectly. I do not think Crede does much for the Sox in a trade. However, if the Sox are serious about a three-way trade involving some mixture of Konerko, Garland and Josh Fields for prospects, it is a real possibility.

Why would we trade established stars for prospects that haven't shown anything?

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Nov 14, 2007 -> 10:18 AM)
Vazquez for Milledge would be a complete steal for the Mets. Once again we don't know or appreciate the value our own players have.

If JV had the season he had last year and was a FA going into the offseason, he would command some pretty steep dollars for 4 plus years. The fact that he is healthy and under control for 3 years at very reasonable rates makes him the most attractive player on the Sox from a trade standpoint, probably higher than Fields.

Konerko could command a good package of players, but the market for him is much more limited. Crede is a health concern. Garland is above average and nicely priced, but only for one year. Fields is young/cheap and showed lots of promise last year, but he has still not proven himself defensively and needs another year of seasoning before people are convinced he can perform over a career.

The Sox need Javy this year and should probably hang onto him, but he could be a classic example of Mr. Pratt's signature line. Trade him one year too soon rather than one to late. You could get a nice package of prospects (not one stale one like Milledge) for him alone. It would suck to do that to him, though, since he did sign a nice deal to stay with the Sox.

QUOTE(bschmaranz @ Nov 14, 2007 -> 12:35 AM)
For what it's worth, Steve Phillips (via a radio clip on Insider) said the White Sox have a good shot at winding up with both Torii Hunter and Miguel Cabrera.

Of course I'll believe it when I see it.

I think that is a pipedream with the Sox! :huh

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Nov 14, 2007 -> 10:19 AM)
Why would we trade established stars for prospects that haven't shown anything?

Say the sox could trade Konerko for a package of players including an A prospect and do something similar with Garland to a team really needing a veteran starting pitcher. The players acquired could be attractive to the Marlins for Cabrera. Take the money saved on K and G, extend Cabrera and move him to first. You make yourself vulnerable in the starting pitching category and you still haven't solved your problem of a weak minor league system, but you have landed a young elite player for several years and given up one slow aging veteran who the fans love but is probably not worth the money he will be paid in the coming years. You lose Garland for one season, but probably no more since he is very likely to walk. The one area you do have some depth is starting pitching so it could make sense to deal Garland and see if a young starter is ready to perform. Obviously, this is all a bunch of "what ifs", but the White Sox do have other means to acquire young players that could be parlayed into a Cabrera deal. The question to ask then is how vulnerable will it make them for the 2008 and 2009 seasons when almost all of their trading possibilities are gone and guys in the minors need more time.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Nov 13, 2007 -> 09:54 PM)
Torii Hunter's quote in a Fort Worth Star Telegram today:

While it would seem like a stretch for the Rangers to be able to sign Hunter, don’t wager against it.

He certainly hasn’t.

“I almost bet you that the Texas Rangers have a better chance than anybody,” he said.

i thought he wanted to play on a team with a chance to make it to the w.s., with a great farm system......yup seems like the rangers are that team! ;)

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Nov 14, 2007 -> 10:55 AM)
Would the Sox really trade Konerko? Remember he reportedly passed up more loot to re-sign with the Sox. Do you then turn around and ship him off? Bad PR move?

also would the sox do that to vazquez? he did almost the same. he knew he could get more if he became a FA but he wanted to stay with the sox.