Torii Hunter

Allsox

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Konerko didn't take less money to stay here.

2. I share the belief that we won't deal Paulie because of fan backlash. And besides -- it would be comical if we were to trade our "Captain." Having a captain was stupid to begin with; now trading him? Jeez.

2a. I'd love to deal Konerko but I doubt it'll ever happen.

Edited by Gregory Pratt

QUOTE(Beltin'Bill @ Nov 14, 2007 -> 04:37 PM)
Say the sox could trade Konerko for a package of players including an A prospect and do something similar with Garland to a team really needing a veteran starting pitcher. The players acquired could be attractive to the Marlins for Cabrera. Take the money saved on K and G, extend Cabrera and move him to first. You make yourself vulnerable in the starting pitching category and you still haven't solved your problem of a weak minor league system, but you have landed a young elite player for several years and given up one slow aging veteran who the fans love but is probably not worth the money he will be paid in the coming years. You lose Garland for one season, but probably no more since he is very likely to walk. The one area you do have some depth is starting pitching so it could make sense to deal Garland and see if a young starter is ready to perform. Obviously, this is all a bunch of "what ifs", but the White Sox do have other means to acquire young players that could be parlayed into a Cabrera deal. The question to ask then is how vulnerable will it make them for the 2008 and 2009 seasons when almost all of their trading possibilities are gone and guys in the minors need more time.

I am not saying you are wrong in your thoughts or anlaysis, but this team is not in a rebuilding phase nor should it be. We have a good core and should build on the support group such as quality middle relief and some bench help, but we don't need to trade our best players for a bunch of AA or even AAA players. The free agent market allows you to add without subtracting as long as you are willing to pay the bill. Plus this apparent interest in Japanese players may allow some holes to be filled also.

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Nov 13, 2007 -> 05:59 PM)
If Hunter told Williams on Sunday that all he wanted was 5/$70 and he'd sign with the Sox, he'd already be donning a Sox cap and the Sox would probably be holding a press conference tomorrow. Vernon Wells got $120 million+, ditto Soriano and C-Lee got $100 on the dot. I can't believe for a second that Torii is ready to sign for $70 million.

All 3 of those guys u mention were younger than Hunter when they hit the market. Hunter is 32 those guys were like 29 or 30. Therefore logic deduces that Hunter does not deserve the same value as those guys who got 6-7 years and 100-120 mil. He deserves more like 4-5 at 13-15 Mil. Now if some idiot team like the rangers swoops in they might offer him 6 years 100 Mil, but then its up to Hunter to weigh playing in that craphole market and for that craphole franchise that is going no where versus a fair but not excess deal from the sox.

QUOTE(joeynach @ Nov 14, 2007 -> 11:56 AM)
Hunter is 32 those guys were like 29 or 30.

Soriano was 31 and Carlos Lee was 30. There isn't a big difference in age there and the one thing that Hunter holds over both of these guys is his perceived ability to play an excellent defensive centerfield (while be a less accomplished hitter than both.) Soriano is a man without a position, terrible no matter where he plays and Carlos Lee is just a league average defensive leftfielder.

QUOTE(joeynach @ Nov 14, 2007 -> 11:56 AM)
All 3 of those guys u mention were younger than Hunter when they hit the market. Hunter is 32 those guys were like 29 or 30. Therefore logic deduces that Hunter does not deserve the same value as those guys who got 6-7 years and 100-120 mil. He deserves more like 4-5 at 13-15 Mil. Now if some idiot team like the rangers swoops in they might offer him 6 years 100 Mil, but then its up to Hunter to weigh playing in that craphole market and for that craphole franchise that is going no where versus a fair but not excess deal from the sox.

"The point is, ladies and gentlemen, that: Greed, for lack of a better word, is good. Greed is right; greed works. Greed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit. Greed, in all of its forms, greed for life, for money, for love, knowledge — has marked the upward surge of mankind and greed, you mark my words — will not only save Teldar Paper but that other malfunctioning corporation called the Torii Hunter. "

Gordon Gekko at the GM Meeting

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Nov 14, 2007 -> 12:04 PM)
Soriano was 31 and Carlos Lee was 30. There isn't a big difference in age there and the one thing that Hunter holds over both of these guys is his perceived ability to play an excellent defensive centerfield (while be a less accomplished hitter than both.) Soriano is a man without a position, terrible no matter where he plays and Carlos Lee is just a league average defensive leftfielder.

Soriano is good in left. He at least gets a ton of assists.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Nov 15, 2007 -> 12:14 AM)

is that supposed to be in green?

for every 1 assist there are probably 2 maybe 3 balls he takes an awful angle to an ends up a double. Soriano is a dynamic offensive player when he is on... but lets not mistake assists for good defense.

QUOTE(MurcieOne @ Nov 15, 2007 -> 12:41 AM)

for every 1 assist there are probably 2 maybe 3 balls he takes an awful angle to an ends up a double. Soriano is a dynamic offensive player when he is on... but lets not mistake assists for good defense.

He's good in left.

QUOTE(PAUL KONERKO 14 @ Nov 14, 2007 -> 02:17 PM)
Hey, thats what Santana said...

Santana has nothing to do with the future plans of the Twins organization; Bill Smith, Terry Ryan, Carl Pohlad - those types of people have something (read: everything) to do with the future plans of the Twins organization. If Hunter goes, Santana has a shot in hell at being retained, and if Santana goes, Hunter has a shot in hell at being retained. Never will the Twins spend enough to have both Santana and Hunter on the same payroll once their free agency has started.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Nov 15, 2007 -> 12:14 AM)

He's awful in left, he has an excellent arm but at the same time he has the worst instincts I've ever seen, does a little hop when he catches each flyball and has a habit of misplaying most balls hit to him or to either side.

A good throwing arm does not a good fielder make.

QUOTE(MurcieOne @ Nov 15, 2007 -> 12:41 AM)

^^^^^^^^^^^^

He speaks the truth.

He would be an outstanding DH. (can't field anywhere) With his offensive numbers, stolen bases, etc.. he could set records (DH wise) for such a little guy.

My question is:

When we look back at these last few weeks with all of the talk about KW doing everything he can to bring Torii Hunter to the Sox and after another month or so of Hunter trying to extract every last dollar from the highest bidder eventually signing with a different team, will we Sox fans remember this time as the Hunter era as though he actually played here ?

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Nov 15, 2007 -> 08:50 AM)
In Buster's column today, he said an exec. told him to expect Hunter to sign a 6 year $90 million contract with Texas.

For that, they can have him.

I'll take Aaron for 4/48 versus Torii for 6/90. Hell I'd rather have Owens in CF for 400k than pay Hunter that much for that long.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Nov 15, 2007 -> 09:04 AM)
For that, they can have him.

I'll take Aaron for 4/48 versus Torii for 6/90. Hell I'd rather have Owens in CF for 400k than pay Hunter that much for that long.

Agreed. And he'll be out of our division, so we benefit there.

QUOTE(kane0730 @ Nov 15, 2007 -> 10:02 AM)
Wow. What a terrible contract for Texas.

Gee, where have the Rangers made bad deals before.

The Rangers will be regretting the last two years of that deal, at least. I probably would give Hunter 4/60, or maybe even 5/75 if I could buy out that last year for $4 million (and I would most likely buy it out making it a functional 4/64 deal), but 6 years $90 million is really really bad.

They are apparently dead set on !^ing away the A-Rod money they just got back.

I'd be more willing to give Rowand 6 years $90 million than Hunter. Rowand's more likely to still be able to play CF at the end of the deal. That said, I'd prefer to give Rowand something like 4 years $52 million (the Johnny Damon deal) and let him be a free agent again after his age 33 season.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Nov 15, 2007 -> 02:03 AM)
He's awful in left, he has an excellent arm but at the same time he has the worst instincts I've ever seen, does a little hop when he catches each flyball and has a habit of misplaying most balls hit to him or to either side.

A good throwing arm does not a good fielder make.

So what if he does a hop? As long as he still catches the ball. He's averaging at fielding the balls, but pretty great at throwing runners out. Hell, Rowand misplays balls but he's thought of as a great defensive CF.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Nov 15, 2007 -> 10:32 AM)
So what if he does a hop? As long as he still catches the ball. He's averaging at fielding the balls, but pretty great at throwing runners out. Hell, Rowand misplays balls but he's thought of as a great defensive CF.

Every outfielder does. Its a question of frequency. And Soriano does it far more often than, say, Rowand. Or Hunter, or heck Jerry Owens.

Actually, I'd say Soriano is the perfect defensive alter-ego of Owens, who has a weak arm but takes much better lines to batted balls and has better hands.