Torii Hunter

Allsox

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(fathom @ Nov 20, 2007 -> 01:55 PM)
No time to link, but rotoworld says Hunter could be shooting for either 7 year deal or Carlos Lee type 6 yrs, 100 mil. For those figures, just say no!

The Rangers and Torii Hunter discussed a five-year deal over dinner on Monday.

Hunter talked briefly afterwards and denied that he was close to terms with the White Sox. Its believed that he's asking for a seven-year deal. A Carlos Lee deal (six years, $100 million) could be within reach.

Link

I hope you don't expect, ah, "credit" for "calling" that the "deal is done" and "there is no meeting" (between Texas and Hunter) if you are, indeed, insisting that you have no inside knowledge and no nothing beyond your own guesses.

That's right. I do. I will have all the credit. If I did have sources, I would not go around claiming I did. I find those people that claim to have inside sources to be very pompous and arrogant.

Take or leave the information I gave you. It is upt to you. I don't care. I am just a poster on a message board - no big deal to me.

/please excuse this interruption

What a cesspool of s***. Can you people who are playing "pretty" just stop it?

No one "KNOWS" anything, yet. If you want to speculate, fine. But this tit for tat garbage is ruining this thread for the last 10 pages.

/back to the thread

QUOTE(Beltin'Bill @ Nov 20, 2007 -> 08:06 AM)
Here is a dumb idea. If the market for Crede is as low as some people project, is there any thought to trading Paulie for one or two of many reasons (youth, starting pitching, leadoff hitter, relief corps, etc.), sliding Crede to first and keeping Josh at third?

I know Crede is the far better defensive option at 3B at this point in his career, but with his back issues, it may make more sense to keep him as a mentor to Fields and rest his back playing a less strenuous position. He would do well at first scooping throws in the dirt and allows you flexibility next offseason. If his back is still balky, you let him walk and hopefully Fields has improved. If not, you still have some flexibility on what to do with him when Boras comes asking for the moon. The two big questions would be 1. How can KW screw up a Konerko trade? & 2. What happens if Crede goes down again midseason? The second is the biggest gamble and could be the breaking point in the season.

2 pages back.

...Personally I think Paulie may be next to go. Seems the emphasis this offseason is on defense ,speed, and surprisingly a looser clubhouse. My feeling is it's possible that we keep both Crede and Fields. Keeping the superior D of Crede at 3rd and possibly moving Fields to 1st base though within the organization we haven't heard of Fields playing 1st.

Paulie could possibly net us a left fielder/ leadoff hitter though my feeling is with a somewhat expanded payroll youth may be served with Owens ,Fields, Richar, and starting pitching. Maybe Paulie could bring a top notch reliever and a top prospect or a SP , reliever and B level prospect. ...

It would be easier to convert Josh to 1st. Keep Crede where he's best suited and keep the worse glove at 1st which is a far less demanding position defensively.

QUOTE(CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Nov 20, 2007 -> 01:20 PM)
...Personally I think Paulie may be next to go. Seems the emphasis this offseason is on defense ,speed, and surprisingly a looser clubhouse. My feeling is it's possible that we keep both Crede and Fields. Keeping the superior D of Crede at 3rd and possibly moving Fields to 1st base though within the organization we haven't heard of Fields playing 1st.

Echoing a thought fathom has stated earlier, I have no problem with Konerko going; however, if Konerko is being traded to have Fields be moved to 1B, KW may as well be fired, because that's absolutely dumb that you have one of your most athletic players on the field playing 1B.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Nov 20, 2007 -> 08:04 PM)
Echoing a thought fathom has stated earlier, I have no problem with Konerko going; however, if Konerko is being traded to have Fields be moved to 1B, KW may as well be fired, because that's absolutely dumb that you have one of your most athletic players on the field playing 1B.

Fields really isn't that athletic on the field. You would never know he was a collegiate QB. I'm one of his biggest fans on this site, but I was kind of disappointed in his speed.

QUOTE(fathom @ Nov 20, 2007 -> 02:08 PM)
Fields really isn't that athletic on the field. You would never know he was a collegiate QB. I'm one of his biggest fans on this site, but I was kind of disappointed in his speed.

He claimed he really didn't get comfortable opening it up until towards the end of the season...he had some sort of mild quad or hamstring injury for most of the year that precluded him from feeling comfortable really turning on the wheels.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE(iamshack @ Nov 20, 2007 -> 08:15 PM)
He claimed he really didn't get comfortable opening it up until towards the end of the season...he has some sort of mild quad or hamstring injury for most of the year that precluded him from feeling comfortable really turning on the wheels.

That could explain it....his stride never seemed right when he was running.

QUOTE(fathom @ Nov 20, 2007 -> 02:08 PM)

Would you at the very least agree he would be better utilized elsewhere on the field?

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Nov 20, 2007 -> 01:50 PM)
Do you have proof of this or are you going by radio and newspaper reports? I would like to see your proof that this happened. Pictures?

MLB.com's Scott Merkin reported "a meeting with Hunter and Texas general manager Jon Daniels took place at the home of Rangers owner Tom Hicks on Monday night."

Since you were just as sure no dinner was taking place, I'm pretty much doubting you know that Hunter is all but signed.

We will know, when we know. Why set yourself up to get egg on your face?

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Nov 20, 2007 -> 02:33 PM)
I see Fields as a solid LF but not third baseman.

You may be right, but with Crede apparently on the way out and Field's athleticism, he's worth the gamble at third. Good thirdbasemen are hard to come by, and if Field's can improve at the hot corner it's worth going through the growing pains.

QUOTE(fathom @ Nov 20, 2007 -> 02:19 PM)
Yes, he should be starting at 3b no matter what, as Crede won't be with the team in 2009.

That was my thought. If Crede is smart, he would be a great mentor to Josh and build himself back up at a less demanding position. Josh should continue to develop at 3B and hopefully not cost the Sox too much with errors as he learns. Meanwhile, if Joe really is back in business, he can showcase it at the plate and spot start at third.

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Nov 20, 2007 -> 03:43 PM)
OC will help Fields like Guillen helped Ventura. The OC thing looks better when you look beyond the back of the baseball card and into the clubhouse.

I actually think it looks just fine when you look at the back of the baseball card.