Torii Hunter

Allsox

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Nov 15, 2007 -> 09:32 AM)
So what if he does a hop? As long as he still catches the ball. He's averaging at fielding the balls, but pretty great at throwing runners out. Hell, Rowand misplays balls but he's thought of as a great defensive CF.

Nite,

Soriano has a good arm, and he has some speed. However his instincts on the batted ball are bad. First step is what makes a good outfielder. Soriano doesnt have that, and he uses his speed to make up for mistakes on his first step. His speed allows him to close on some mistakes, however that was Pods MO for years. Rowand is probably one of the more overrated outfielder from our fanbase, but he for the most part has a good first step. Rowand's issue here was coming in on the ball. He went back and to his left and right very well. Rowand's first step is always back. Soriano's first step depends on how he feels that day, I have seen him break hard on a fly ball and have it sail over his head. Then break back on a line drive, and have it loop in for a hit. Not that it matters for Soriano, his offense overwhelms any deficiencies in the field. Plus LF is probably the best place to stash him.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Nov 15, 2007 -> 09:04 AM)
For that, they can have him.

I'll take Aaron for 4/48 versus Torii for 6/90. Hell I'd rather have Owens in CF for 400k than pay Hunter that much for that long.

I would too; I doubt Rowand's would accept $12 mill a year. I see Rowand costing $13-14, and 5 years atleast.

So, in general, I'd rather just rebuild.

Ya, Soriano is brutal in LF, and his arm isnt even that great but he has one of the quicker releases in baseball which fools alot of third base coaches.

Also the contracts are ridiculous. Even for bullpen help. How about a flier on Matt Herges who is only look for about 2 million.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 15, 2007 -> 09:23 AM)
Ya, Soriano is brutal in LF, and his arm isnt even that great but he has one of the quicker releases in baseball which fools alot of third base coaches.

Also the contracts are ridiculous. Even for bullpen help. How about a flier on Matt Herges who is only look for about 2 million.

I suggested Herges a couple days ago. I think he'd be an ideal addition to our bullpen. We'd still probably want to carry 12 pitchers, esp. if we move a starter and go with the 2 kids...but that's exactly the kind of guy I want to add. Older, experienced, maybe cheaper than other guys, doesn't cost a draft pick, short term contract, might mesh well with the kids, and would still leave us room to try out either Masset, Aardsma, or sign one of the Japanese guys if we though they were worth the $.

QUOTE(Markbilliards @ Nov 15, 2007 -> 12:43 PM)
Rowand is way overpriced too, its not like he just put his stats up in the American league, it was AAAA, I'd expect from him what he gave us when he was on the Sox, is that worth 13 mill?

Lets keep JO in Center.

You know, I realize there is a difference between the leagues at the moment, but let's not get out of hand.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Nov 15, 2007 -> 11:55 AM)
The question is going to be is Rowand worth 12 million to the Sox? Or is Hunter worth 15 million to the Sox? Those are all questions Kenny will answer for us, shortly.

Is the question ever which guy will make us a better team? :huh

QUOTE(Texsox @ Nov 15, 2007 -> 10:11 AM)
Is the question ever which guy will make us a better team? :huh

I think that's the base of all of it. Which one leaves us as a better team...Torii Hunter with an insane deal or Rowand with a more sane but still not totally so deal.

I still think a deal for that Fukudome guy might be the best of the lot.

Olney's reporting that the Dodgers #1 target this offseason is Aaron Rowand. I just hope KW keeps his poise this offseason with these huge deals that will be handed out. It really is too damn bad we're not going into rebuilding mode. It would cost a fortune to get this team back into the AL Central picture.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 15, 2007 -> 11:30 AM)
I suggested Herges a couple days ago. I think he'd be an ideal addition to our bullpen. We'd still probably want to carry 12 pitchers, esp. if we move a starter and go with the 2 kids...but that's exactly the kind of guy I want to add. Older, experienced, maybe cheaper than other guys, doesn't cost a draft pick, short term contract, might mesh well with the kids, and would still leave us room to try out either Masset, Aardsma, or sign one of the Japanese guys if we though they were worth the $.

In order to land Herges you'll have to give him 2 guaranteed years. He will be 38 next year.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Nov 15, 2007 -> 10:45 AM)
In order to land Herges you'll have to give him 2 guaranteed years. He will be 38 next year.

I have no problem guaranteeing a reliever 2 years even at age 38. Not if we're in a position where we need a reliever, which we are. That's what, an extra $2 million? Big deal, we're spending more on Uribe for 1 year than we probably would on Herges for 2.

It's not like a 2 year, $3-$4 million deal would hamstring this team even in the worst case. He blows his arm out and needs TJ surgery while signing the contract...D'Oh. It was such a small gamble that it really wouldn't kill anything.

Edited by Balta1701

QUOTE(fathom @ Nov 15, 2007 -> 12:16 PM)
Olney's reporting that the Dodgers #1 target this offseason is Aaron Rowand. I just hope KW keeps his poise this offseason with these huge deals that will be handed out. It really is too damn bad we're not going into rebuilding mode. It would cost a fortune to get this team back into the AL Central picture.

Well if they miss out on the large mix, this is what you will get at soxfest.

Hawk at Soxfest "You know who I think is going to have a superstar breakout year, Jerry Owens. I am so glad that Kenny was so wise not to sign a guy to a large crazy contract. I mean I love Aaron Rowand and Torii Hunter is a superstar, but something about speed. You know speed doesnt slump. Stats don't tell the whole story of a players worth. Dont tell me that you hit it, tell me when you hit it. Remember the magical season in 05, what got us there. That would be Scott Podsednik and small ball. I love Ozzieball"

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 15, 2007 -> 12:48 PM)
I have no problem guaranteeing a reliever 2 years even at age 38. Not if we're in a position where we need a reliever, which we are. That's what, an extra $2 million? Big deal, we're spending more on Uribe for 1 year than we probably would on Herges for 2.

It's not like a 2 year, $3-$4 million deal would hamstring this team even in the worst case. He blows his arm out and needs TJ surgery while signing the contract...D'Oh. It was such a small gamble that it really wouldn't kill anything.

I wouldnt mind it either. Although id rather go after someone like Affeldt

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Nov 15, 2007 -> 12:17 PM)
While a fair question, it's not that simple, and you know it. I know you don't like hearing about the $$ and how much a player is making/worth, but it's part of the game, now more than ever.

You can ask the question, "Which guy makes us better" but there are a few different ways to look at it.

-This team has payroll restrictions, simple as that. While Hunter could provide better numbers than Rowand, at what cost is he providing them at? Because the Sox have Hunter instead of Rowand, do the Sox have to trade away another expensive piece to pay for the production Hunter is providing?

-What about in 2012? 2013? You don't want to think about it now, but there have been numerous threads about how Jose and his contract are basically unmovable right now, and how he is tying up 10 million that can be used elsewhere. Can you imagine the threads about Hunter and his 15+ million that he is making when he is 36? Is that going to make the team better?

It's just not that simple of a question.

Great post. Thank you.

This money thing has always baffled me with the White Sox.

Didn't somebody price the Sox as one of the most profitable organizations in baseball?

If the Sox were sold today wouldn't Jerry make about 50 times the amount he bought

the team for?

If the Sox shelled out the money, they'd obviously go from near last to first in a year.

The Yankees make the playoffs every year because of money, nothing else.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Nov 15, 2007 -> 03:15 PM)

Didn't somebody price the Sox as one of the most profitable organizations in baseball?

If the Sox were sold today wouldn't Jerry make about 50 times the amount he bought

the team for?

If the Sox shelled out the money, they'd obviously go from near last to first in a year.

Ugh. I can't resist...

--Profitable in baseball is relative. Even the Sox don't make more than a few percentage points of net profit.

--The net worth of the franchise has nothing to do with its cash position. Those are seperate things. Do you want Jerry to sell some part of the team for more money in payroll?

--If money is the only reason the Yankees are so good, and they spend 30% more than any other team, why haven't they won a championship in 7 years?

--The Sox had the 4th highest payroll in baseball last year, and had the 7th worst record. The Colorado Rockies made the world series and were 25th in payroll. Just because a team has money to spend that does not automatically make them better. The talent has to be available, the talent has to perform, and there is no predicting that to any precise degree.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Nov 15, 2007 -> 02:15 PM)

the team for?

Greg, you fail to surprise me day in and day out

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 15, 2007 -> 03:34 PM)
Ugh. I can't resist...

--Profitable in baseball is relative. Even the Sox don't make more than a few percentage points of net profit.

--The net worth of the franchise has nothing to do with its cash position. Those are seperate things. Do you want Jerry to sell some part of the team for more money in payroll?

--If money is the only reason the Yankees are so good, and they spend 30% more than any other team, why haven't they won a championship in 7 years?

--The Sox had the 4th highest payroll in baseball last year, and had the 7th worst record. The Colorado Rockies made the world series and were 25th in payroll. Just because a team has money to spend that does not automatically make them better. The talent has to be available, the talent has to perform, and there is no predicting that to any precise degree.

Exactly, money doesnt win, but it sure helps to sign that "missing" piece if you do need one. But really the money is most important in the draft and development phases. An added 4 mill to the draft would make a HUGE difference, and the hiring of good coaches would also greatly improve the farm system. Then you can save money on the free agent market as you fill the team with cheap young talent (hence the Rockies). So really you can be strapped pretty tightly with money but still have a good team on the field, it all depends on whether a team realizes they need to draft and develop well to save them in the future.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 15, 2007 -> 02:34 PM)
--The Sox had the 4th highest payroll in baseball last year, and had the 7th worst record.

I think if you take into account the money we got from Philly for Thome and Iguchi, Arizona for Javy, and SD for Mack we had like the 8th highest payroll