Torii Hunter

Allsox

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't mind having Hunter, but not for the price he's asking. If we were to get him though, hopefully he could bring some fire into this team to help them bounce back from last year.

As for shortstop, I don't like Uribe too much, but I'd rather have him over Uribe easily.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 1, 2007 -> 03:40 PM)
The Trib mentions Hunter and Eckstein as well, but goes further into other SS possibilities (they don't seem as convinced of the Eckstein thing). Names they mention for Sox SS targets: Cesar Izturis, Jack Wilson, Luis Castillo and Kaz Matsui.

If the Sox acquired Cesar Izturis, I'd quit life. Is he going to be the Shea Hillenbrand for the next couple years, absolutely useless player who somehow latches on to team after team?

Hey NorthSide...I think Castillo and Matsui were 2B options.

The problem here lies with Crede. He has very little trade value and the Sox want Fields starting every day. So, Fields goes to LF. If the Sox sign Hunter or Rowand, they HAVE to get a leadoff hitter, hopefully at SS. If they get Crisp or leave Owens out there, they have more flexibility, but not much.

It also depends on how much they think of Richar. He showed he can take a walk, I think his OPS was better than his AVG for awhile. Maybe he's your answer.

Anyway, got off track there. If the Sox can deal Crede...Fields moves back to 3B and you can have Owens in LF and Hunter/Rowand/Crisp in CF and your SS can be any of those mentioned. I wouldn't mind Izturis. I think the Cubs made a mistake letting him go.

I not so concerned with the potential salary Torii will get. But, I'm very concerned with the length of the contract. Four years is probably a stretch. Five years means he'll be a freak of nature if he's still good. Since he's already turned down 3 years at 15M per, I'm very leary of this possible deal.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Nov 1, 2007 -> 12:39 PM)
I not so concerned with the potential salary Torii will get. But, I'm very concerned with the length of the contract. Four years is probably a stretch. Five years means he'll be a freak of nature if he's still good. Since he's already turned down 3 years at 15M per, I'm very leary of this possible deal.

:headbang

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Nov 1, 2007 -> 12:09 PM)
If the money is right, I'll take Torrii in a heart beat.

I just don't want a 40 year old CF'er making $15 a year. Think Erstad when you think about Torii in a few years. This team is already getting too old to add more long in the tooth long term commitments.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Nov 1, 2007 -> 01:14 PM)
I just don't want a 40 year old CF'er making $15 a year. Think Erstad when you think about Torii in a few years. This team is already getting too old to add more long in the tooth long term commitments.

I agree, that's why I said if the money is right(years go with that as well). I like Torrii a lot as a player, I think he brings a lot to any team but I also don't want to sign him to a long term deal, the problem is to get a quality cf we're most likely going to have to overpay for someone. We'll see how everything plays out but taking the financials out of the equation for a second, I'd love to have Hunter on this team.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Nov 1, 2007 -> 12:14 PM)

I'd go 4 years with Torii for the right salary levels. Better would be 3, plus maybe a performance-vesting option for 4, or something like that.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 1, 2007 -> 01:28 PM)
I'd go 4 years with Torii for the right salary levels. Better would be 3, plus maybe a performance-vesting option for 4, or something like that.

Another way to look at it is taking his total contract salary and consider it over three seasons with any additional years at zero. I know that doesn't make sense but if his total dollars are $60 million, that's $20 mil a year, I do not care if it is written 10 years at $6 mil, or 5@$12. I know they can't structure it that way, but that is how I would evaluate the deal over the next 5 years. I know that still doesn't make sense, these deals always look like he is underpaid in years 1&2 and overpaid in 4,5.

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Nov 1, 2007 -> 02:14 PM)
If it has to be, then overpay even more to keep the contract to a 4 year deal instead of 5.

If the total dollars are the same, the extra years may be nice, but I guess the point I've been circling is let's not have him shuffling around center field in 2012 because he's making $12 mil.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Nov 1, 2007 -> 01:20 PM)
If the total dollars are the same, the extra years may be nice, but I guess the point I've been circling is let's not have him shuffling around center field in 2012 because he's making $12 mil.

Which is exactly what we'll end up with if he signs a 5 year deal.

What kind of contract will Castillo get? If the money is right, I wouldn't mind him as our 2B/leadoff hitter. He's kinda old but still fairly productive. His OBP would be the 2nd highest on the team.

I think I like Castillo/Uribe better than Eckstein/Richar (although I don't despise Eckstein like many here seem to) and certainly better than Uribe/Richar.

And if we could sign a semi-decent CF, I'd like our lineup.

2B Castillo

LF Fields

DH Thome

1B Konerko

RF Dye

C AJP

CF Hunter/Rowand/Jones

3B Crede

SS Uribe

Well, we'd have to see which pitchers are here, but at least that lineup wouldn't look like an embarassment or anything.

I guess it depends on the $$$ for Castillo and the CFer.

I REALLY want Rafael Furcal on the Sox next year... it seems like an obvious match and I hope something comes of it. A career .350 OBP and a return to a higher OPS (i dont think his 2007 will become the norm) would make Furcal a great leadoff option for our hapless Sox.

Edited by Steve9347