Could a team of you and your friends

Eh?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Can a team of your friends score on an NBA team

• Yes
    • No

I had this argument with a friend of mine. He won't budge from this theory that a team of myself and four of my friends (himself included) could not score one single point against an NBA team in a full regulation game. The stipulation is that the NBA team is trying to play its hardest (which we all know never happens in reality).

So, do you think that a team of yourself and four friends could score one measley point on an NBA team?

I think it's utterly ridiculous that we couldn't score once, even on a lucky shot or a foul or something. To me, he seems to be attributing god-like qualities to these athletes.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course, it depends on your background. If enough of you played collegiately or in a decent hs program, okay. But those guys are so quick & so tall, I don't even know how I'd get the ball inbounded. If I were bringing the ball up, they could strip me or trap me at will. So, I'm with your friend on this one.

QUOTE(fathom @ Nov 2, 2007 -> 09:41 PM)
Of course you could....in a 48 minute game, you could just throw up half-courters the whole time and probably make a handful.

I thought about that, but if the NBAers were truly playing hard the whole game, knowing how bad we are, they'd just press every time. Even if you get the ball in, even if you get the ball to half-court, can a 6'0" guy with average hops and quickness even get a shot over a 6'6" shooting guard?

At some point when they were trying to block you, they'd catch some arm and you'd get free throws.

The only scenario I'd be really worried about would be if they started missing shots on purpose and dominating the glass just to refresh the shot clock and hold the ball the entire game.

Edited by CrimsonWeltall

you are bound to score sometime.. however I have had somewhat the same convo with my friends

I am 100% sure that me and four of my friends could beat the best WNBA team, and I will even go out and say that it wouldnt even be close..

QUOTE(Shadows @ Nov 2, 2007 -> 10:01 PM)
you are bound to score sometime.. however I have had somewhat the same convo with my friends

I am 100% sure that me and four of my friends could beat the best WNBA team, and I will even go out and say that it wouldnt even be close..

I think me and a group I play with could as well. Girls play dirty though.

QUOTE(fathom @ Nov 2, 2007 -> 09:41 PM)
Of course you could....in a 48 minute game, you could just throw up half-courters the whole time and probably make a handful.

QUOTE(CrimsonWeltall @ Nov 2, 2007 -> 10:03 PM)
At some point when they were trying to block you, they'd catch some arm and you'd get free throws.

The only scenario I'd be really worried about would be if they started missing shots on purpose and dominating the glass just to refresh the shot clock and hold the ball the entire game.

Those are the two arguments I kept making. You guys rock.

QUOTE(Shadows @ Nov 2, 2007 -> 11:01 PM)

I LOLed, I'll admit it.

I remember starting a poll about whether anyone would rather have a WNBA championship in their home town, or 5 bucks. The money won in a landslide.

I think if you make the assumption that this group of players has at least some basketball talent (let's say at least able to make the rotation on a high school varsity team at a reasonably sized school) that it could definitely be done. I don't think you're going to be able to throw 5 total schmucks out there and do it.

Still, if you can even go half of your posessions without turning the ball over, or even a quarter for that matter, eventually someone is going to slip and leave someone open, or a tip will go right to someone, or they'll commit some kind of turnover that gives you a fast-break chance. Then there's the free throws that have been mentioned a few times. Plus if you get desperate you can have one of your guys cherry-pick and try the long pass after they score.

Sure, you're not going to get any rebounds and you might as well forget about taking the ball in the paint, but I gotta think you'll find a gap somewhere to hit an open jumper every once in a while. I just don't think it's possible to have every player/spot 100% covered for 48 minutes.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Nov 2, 2007 -> 11:51 PM)
I think if you make the assumption that this group of players has at least some basketball talent (let's say at least able to make the rotation on a high school varsity team at a reasonably sized school) that it could definitely be done. I don't think you're going to be able to throw 5 total schmucks out there and do it.

Still, if you can even go half of your posessions without turning the ball over, or even a quarter for that matter, eventually someone is going to slip and leave someone open, or a tip will go right to someone, or they'll commit some kind of turnover that gives you a fast-break chance. Then there's the free throws that have been mentioned a few times. Plus if you get desperate you can have one of your guys cherry-pick and try the long pass after they score.

Sure, you're not going to get any rebounds and you might as well forget about taking the ball in the paint, but I gotta think you'll find a gap somewhere to hit an open jumper every once in a while. I just don't think it's possible to have every player/spot 100% covered for 48 minutes.

Exactly, over the course of an entire game considering fouls and what not.. you are at LEAST going to put 1 point on the board

QUOTE(Shadows @ Nov 2, 2007 -> 10:01 PM)

In HS, our girls hoops squad beat our frosh-soph boys team.....and I mean smacked em up.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Nov 3, 2007 -> 11:07 AM)
I've had a conversation with my buddy for many years (before he was a Bull) that I could score a single poitn in a game of 1-on-1 with Ben Wallce to 21.

I just know I could! :headbang

I've never met you, but I would agree. You'd probably have about 80 chances to tickle the twine before he got to 21.

Before Hoops the Gym and back when my brother was a member at the Athletic Club in Illinois Center we played pick-up games a few times both with and against Michael Jordan. I can tell you the guy that he is guarding does usually take a lot of shots just in case he makes one he's got something to brag about the rest of his life. A couple prayers did fall but not many when it was pretty much man on man half court. I do think 5 Michael Jordan's have the potential of shutting down 5 guys who never played high school varsity for 48 minutes, but chances of a shutout if its a regulation game are slim. If you're playing to 15, it probably would happen from time to time especially if it was important to the NBA guys.