KW

Soxfest

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(SoxPride56 @ Nov 4, 2007 -> 12:25 PM)
why not a trade for Furcal... I know there have been people here talking about Furcal. That would leave you with a lineup of:

Damon

Furcal

Thome

Konerko

Dye

AJ

Hunter/ Rowand

Fields

Richar

That's about an $80 million starting lineup.

QUOTE(Vance Law @ Nov 4, 2007 -> 07:44 PM)
I'd say his brutal defense is clearly the biggest downside, along with his paycheck. At the plate, he brings a lot.

Considering we've had terrible defense out of the left field for basically the entire 21st century, his poor defense doesn't bother me. Hell, at least he has a great throwing arm.

I don't see the Crede for Damon deal going down. How often do the rumored deals actually go down? I don't think I've ever heard a rumored deal go down. If you look at most of the past moves the Whitesox made we didn't see any of them coming:

Buehrle Extended

Dye Extended

Pierzynski Extended

McCarthy to the Rangers

Freddy to the Phillies

Cotts to the Cubs for Aardsma

Vazquez from the Diamondbacks

Thornton from the Mariners

Thome from the Phillies for Rowand

Were there any threads about any of these? We all had our thoughts on the extensions but everyone of us probably thought a trade was more likely than an extension.

KW is full of suprises. Crede for Damon is not a suprise so it won't happen.

QUOTE(striker62704 @ Nov 4, 2007 -> 08:03 PM)
I don't see the Crede for Damon deal going down. How often do the rumored deals actually go down? I don't think I've ever heard a rumored deal go down. If you look at most of the past moves the Whitesox made we didn't see any of them coming:

Buehrle Extended

Dye Extended

Pierzynski Extended

McCarthy to the Rangers

Freddy to the Phillies

Cotts to the Cubs for Aardsma

Vazquez from the Diamondbacks

Thornton from the Mariners

Thome from the Phillies for Rowand

Were there any threads about any of these? We all had our thoughts on the extensions but everyone of us probably thought a trade was more likely than an extension.

KW is full of suprises. Crede for Damon is not a suprise so it won't happen.

There's a lot of buzz about the Crede for Damon trade, including Cashman stating he'd be willing to trade an outfielder not named Melky.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Nov 4, 2007 -> 02:06 PM)
Crede to NY for an OF makes too much sense for something not to get done.

To me, what still doesn't make sense is, the Yankees risking the deal now, not knowing whether or not Crede can actually play.

Also, the Sox making the trade now, while Crede's ability to play and play well are a question mark, at Crede's seemingly lowest possible trade value.

QUOTE(Vance Law @ Nov 4, 2007 -> 08:14 PM)
To me, what still doesn't make sense is, the Yankees risking the deal now, not knowing whether or not Crede can actually play.

Also, the Sox making the trade now, while Crede's ability to play and play well are a question mark, at Crede's seemingly lowest possible trade value.

You have to keep in mind that KW foolishly has no plans to rebuild. Thus, if he can get major league caliber players for someone like Crede, who he knows won't be with this franchise after this year, he'll jump at a trade.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Nov 4, 2007 -> 08:06 PM)
Granted, a lot of moves are surprising, but some are also known. The Thome stuff was talked about a few days before, and his name was an obvious one during the off-season.

Everyone knew Williams had a hard on for Javy. The timing was odd, but the acquistion of Vazquez was hardly a surprise.

Deals like Thornton and Cotts aren't talked about because they aren't major.

Crede to NY for an OF makes too much sense for something not to get done.

There are other teams in need of a 3B.

Angels have Figgins but could replace his speed with Willits in the lineup and they could use Crede's bat.

Phillies need a 3B. They might have a ss prospect they could surrender and possibly a reliever. Seems like Gillick and KW make a move each year now.

Toronto could dump Glaus and turn around and pickup Crede.

Boston doesn't have a 3B under contract.

Oakland has been rumored to be shopping Chavez.

Texas has been rumored to be unhappy with Blalock.

Dodgers might not be ready for LaRoche.

The posibilities are endless. You gotta love Hot Stove.

QUOTE(fathom @ Nov 4, 2007 -> 02:16 PM)
You have to keep in mind that KW foolishly has no plans to rebuild. Thus, if he can get major league caliber players for someone like Crede, who he knows won't be with this franchise after this year, he'll jump at a trade.

...and from the Yankees perspective? to save a few measly million bucks on Damon while Crede, at present, is a huge question mark?

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Nov 3, 2007 -> 06:48 PM)
What's the consensus on trading Crede, are people for it or against it?

I don't know if I like it, he's been with the team for a while now, so personally I'd hate to see him go, but if this trade helps out this team, then I'd be more apt to agree on the trade. If these are Crede's last days here, then I have to say I appreciate everything he's done for this team, his clutch hitting at the end, his great defense, and his power numbers.

If Crede is traded, who plays LF?

Bob

QUOTE(gosox41 @ Nov 4, 2007 -> 04:11 PM)
If Crede is traded, who plays LF?

Bob

Hard to tell as there are a million different possibilities, but you could have Damon in left if we still get one of the free agent centerfielders.

If we had Damon in left, and Hunter/Rowand/Cameron in center, I'd rather see us keep Uribe. Lowish cost, strong defense which helps especially with Fields at 3rd, no long term commitment. We could go after Furcal as a FA after 08.

Damon compares favorably to Furcal as a hitter and a lead-off man in my opinion. You can expect a few more steals from Furcal (though Damon had 27 to Furcal's 25 last year) but Damon has an edge in OBP (slightly for their careers, but even moreso in recent years) and clearly outslugs him. And also has 2 years left on his contract.

As I stated previously, I don't see the point in a trade of Garland to get back Furcal. We get a lead off type, but for only one year and at the price of sacrificing a lot in pitching. In other words- getting high priced ss lead off man for only one year is a move with the intent of competing in 08, while going with a rotation that includes both Danks and Floyd is not.

Edited by Vance Law

QUOTE(fathom @ Nov 3, 2007 -> 06:25 PM)
I completely agree with this. I'll be surprised if he's with the organization at this point next week. Hopefully he's traded for Pat Burrell or Damon, and not some AAAA pitcher.

What are the contractual status' of both Burrell and Damon ?

I have little interest in either guy....Burrell strikes out way too often, and Damon seems to be breaking down and both make in excess of 10 million dollars.

I am in favor of keeping Crede for next season at 3B, but if we do move him, I'm hoping it's for a possible starting pitcher and/or a dependable relief pitcher.

QUOTE(spiderman @ Nov 4, 2007 -> 06:01 PM)
What are the contractual status' of both Burrell and Damon ?

I have little interest in either guy....Burrell strikes out way too often, and Damon seems to be breaking down and both make in excess of 10 million dollars.

I am in favor of keeping Crede for next season at 3B, but if we do move him, I'm hoping it's for a possible starting pitcher and/or a dependable relief pitcher.

I also want to see if we could get a young arm that could have a shot at making our rotation next year for Crede and the Yanks would be that team able to facilitate that idea.

Burrell has one year left at around 14 million (Type A FA)

Damon has 2 years left at around 26 million (if a deal gets done it's projected that the Yanks eat around 4 mil/year and we'd owe Damon 18mil for 2yrs)

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Nov 4, 2007 -> 06:34 PM)
If we trade for Damon, we better sign Hunter or Rowand because if not Damon will most assuredly be butchering CF for the next 2 seasons.

I think it's a foregone conclusion that Damon will be in LF next year no matter what.

If we get Damon.. he will for SURE play LF. So no worries.. Hunter or Rowand will be our CF next year. Damon's arm is brutal and i think he wouldn't have a problem with moving to left field, especially with a guy like Hunter or Rowand in CF... Damon can still cover a lot of ground out there.. Our defense in the OF would be stellar in 2008 if this goes down.

I agree with fathom, this seems like a typical KW move. Trade an expirering contract for someone under contract for more years and have the other team eat some of the contract.

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Nov 4, 2007 -> 07:17 PM)
If we get Damon.. he will for SURE play LF. So no worries.. Hunter or Rowand will be our CF next year. Damon's arm is brutal and i think he wouldn't have a problem with moving to left field, especially with a guy like Hunter or Rowand in CF... Damon can still cover a lot of ground out there.. Our defense in the OF would be stellar in 2008 if this goes down.

I agree with fathom, this seems like a typical KW move. Trade an expirering contract for someone under contract for more years and have the other team eat some of the contract.

I wouldn't say stellar. Damon's arm is beyond pathetic, and JD is losing steps fast.