Overrated, How does a player get that label?

Texsox

How does a player become overrated in the fan's eyes? Reading over a few threads it occurs to me that most of the overrated stuff starts with fans. Of course the teams needs to hype that "these kids can play" so they probably shoulder some of the blame.

Probably inconsistent play is the most common cause, you have one good month and everyone starts to think you are somebody, then you go back down to earth. That is if you want to believe that anyone is "overrated" which I don't. To paraphrase, 'People are who we think they are.'

I'm sure there are other ways people get the title of overrated, like extra media coverage, bias, personal opinion based on intangibles.

Edited by max power

I might suggest that the term 'overrated' comes from someone having a solid year one year and becoming a bust the next year. Also, it depends if the person was just signed the off-season before and is not producing for the big multi-year/incentive laden contract that is given to them.

with a home town team it has most to do with popularity...ie joe crede, has a few big moments with the sox fans love him....he becomes overrated (at least offensively) in the eyes of the fans......also one inflated stat category when the rest of the resume is average or sub par....ie high win totals, high RBI totals....also included in that category would be the "juan uribe has hit the second most HR among AL SS over the last 3 seasons" or something, that fails to include the fact that hes also had probably one of the lowest obps among ALL players.....but yeah perception of the fans is basically what it has to do with.....also the announcers have a TON to do with that......not saying that it happens with everyone or to the more knowledgable fans...but Hawks and DJs opinion of a guy will go a long way to mold the overall fan base's perception of players....its tough to be objective about guys when they are in love/hate them

Edited by daa84

It also can start when organizations compare young guys to current players. Ron Schueler back in the day compared Kip Wells, Jon Garland and Jon Rauch when they were minor leaguers to David Cone, Kevin Brown and Randy Johnson. Didn't quite turn out that way. So while a guy like Garland has had a decent career and made a ton of money, I would suppose one could say he is/was overrated. Its a lot to put on a young guy, saying he reminds you of a guy who has had a great career.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE(Texsox @ Nov 4, 2007 -> 07:51 AM)
How does a player become overrated in the fan's eyes? Reading over a few threads it occurs to me that most of the overrated stuff starts with fans. Of course the teams needs to hype that "these kids can play" so they probably shoulder some of the blame.

Media is the numbe 1 culprit. Listening to Sox brass. Having a hard nosed player diving for balls, running through fences and beind a fan favorite also helps. In this case see Aaron Rowand.

Bob

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Nov 4, 2007 -> 02:15 PM)
It also can start when organizations compare young guys to current players. Ron Schueler back in the day compared Kip Wells, Jon Garland and Jon Rauch when they were minor leaguers to David Cone, Kevin Brown and Randy Johnson. Didn't quite turn out that way. So while a guy like Garland has had a decent career and made a ton of money, I would suppose one could say he is/was overrated. Its a lot to put on a young guy, saying he reminds you of a guy who has had a great career.

I think that Garland might be able to approach Kevin Brown's numbers before his career is over. Albeit, less Ks.

QUOTE(knightni @ Nov 5, 2007 -> 03:41 PM)
I think that Garland might be able to approach Kevin Brown's numbers before his career is over. Albeit, less Ks.

He's got a hell of a ways to go then. Garland's career ERA and ERA+ of 4.41 and 106 pale in comparison to Brown's 3.28 and 127.

QUOTE(knightni @ Nov 5, 2007 -> 09:07 PM)
True, but Garland will get better if he gets away from USCF.

The Cell is not the problem:

'07 HOME: 3.78

'07 AWAY: 4.76

'06 HOME: 3.97

'06 AWAY: 4.90

'05 HOME: 3.56

'05 AWAY: 3.44

'04 HOME: 5.27

'04 AWAY: 4.61

'03 HOME: 4.16

'03 AWAY: 4.87

'02 HOME: 4.00

'02 AWAY: 5.16

So yeah, he's been a high 3 ERA pitcher at home for the past 3 seasons but he's been a high 4 ERA pitcher on the road for the past 2. Jon Garland's career numbers will never be comparable to Kevin Brown's unless he starts stacking up sub 3 ERA seasons real soon (ain't gonna happen) but if he just wants to become a better overall starter than what he is now then he needs to avoid the huge lopsided losses that he seems to have on the road.

He pitches in one of the best hitter's parks in the game but that's not the reason why he's only a league average starter.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Nov 4, 2007 -> 08:37 PM)
I would say fans tend to think their own players, the ones they see every day and are able to scrutinize closely, are "overrated."

Most players from other teams who they do not see every day are "underrated."

I think this is a very insightful post.