Pet peeves....

Steff

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When you are in the elevator and get to your floor, then the doors open up and some douche from outside bolts through before anyone inside has a chance to move. They always have this surprised look on their face too, like they forgot that this wasn't their own personal elevator

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Nov 9, 2007 -> 12:17 AM)
Little kids dragged around on leashes in public. So dehumanizing. I bet when those kids grow up they can't wait to chuck mom and dad into the old folks' home at the earliest opportunity as payback.

Huh, odd, both of my kids wore those and they both love the heck out of me. I can only hope your kids choose to do something evil to you in the future also just for caring about their own safety. I'll kill this post here, because your post pissed me off enough to want to write for days. Sorry I care about my childs safety.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Nov 9, 2007 -> 07:16 AM)
Huh, odd, both of my kids wore those and they both love the heck out of me. I can only hope your kids choose to do something evil to you in the future also just for caring about their own safety. I'll kill this post here, because your post pissed me off enough to want to write for days. Sorry I care about my childs safety.

Yeah, I'm not saying kid leashes should be outlawed, just that they rub me the wrong way. As do mostof the parents that use them. I don't expect everybody to share the opinion. . . that's what a pet peeve is, right?

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Nov 9, 2007 -> 09:09 AM)
Yeah, I'm not saying kid leashes should be outlawed, just that they rub me the wrong way. As do mostof the parents that use them. I don't expect everybody to share the opinion. . . that's what a pet peeve is, right?

I understand what a "pet peeve" is, it's the bit about the locking up the parents that I enjoyed so much. Regardless of how you phrased it, the intent is understood.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Nov 9, 2007 -> 02:09 PM)

My daughter's 18 months old tomorrow... and we just decided to get her one because at that age, you can't keep them from darting out, and they are not old enough to understand to not go into the street. I DO think that if you use them in a mall, etc, that's a little excessive, but outside when walking, I now understand the need. I used to think like Flaxx... but I get it now. :lol:

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Nov 9, 2007 -> 09:18 AM)
My daughter's 18 months old tomorrow... and we just decided to get her one because at that age, you can't keep them from darting out, and they are not old enough to understand to not go into the street. I DO think that if you use them in a mall, etc, that's a little excessive, but outside when walking, I now understand the need. I used to think like Flaxx... but I get it now. :lol:

See, that's just it. I had two kids. . . just in case. Odds say at least one of them is bound to survive my cr@ppy parenting. :unsure:

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Nov 9, 2007 -> 09:25 AM)
See, that's just it. I had two kids. . . just in case. Odds say at least one of them is bound to survive my cr@ppy parenting. :unsure:

But now you are turning it back onto yourself. I never said you were crappy at parenting, but you basically said it about those that do use them. My wife and I used them for OUR PEACE OF MIND. There was no intent to dehumanize our children. Did we use them in the malls? Yes. I know my kids, I know how they can just run off if I look away for a second, no matter how close of an eye I keep on them. I thought it was the best choice FOR US. Not YOU. For MY CHILDREN AND MY FAMILY.

QUOTE(mreye @ Nov 9, 2007 -> 09:57 AM)
People that drive in the rain or fog without headlights. Yes, I know you can see, but the lights are so others can see you.

I knew a guy who hated windshield wipers so he NEVER used them. No RainX, no nothing. He did turn his lights on though. Driving with him was scary when it rained. I only did it once.

My daughter is 18 months and we don't own a harness, but I'm absolutely not against getting one. If you're at an airport or a carnival/theme park or even a crowded mall during the holidays. I think it could be a lifesaver. I saw I guy with them on his two kids yesterday at Union Station. They were like little monkey backpacks and he had the tails. It's about safety and security first. I can especially see the need if its one parent with two little kids. How can a parent take their 2 kids say downtown during xmas to see the tree and windows and stuff. It's not like kids want to stay in the stroller all the time. They want to walk. They also don't want to hold your hand all the time...they want to explore a little. I can see the stigma if a parent is just dragging their kid around with it, and I'm sure some do, but I've never seen them used like that.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Nov 9, 2007 -> 09:49 AM)
But now you are turning it back onto yourself. I never said you were crappy at parenting, but you basically said it about those that do use them. My wife and I used them for OUR PEACE OF MIND. There was no intent to dehumanize our children. Did we use them in the malls? Yes. I know my kids, I know how they can just run off if I look away for a second, no matter how close of an eye I keep on them. I thought it was the best choice FOR US. Not YOU. For MY CHILDREN AND MY FAMILY.

I'm standing down, Kid. My intent was not to attack anybody’s personal parenting skills and I apologize. I avoided the pet peeve thread for several days and should have continued to do so.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Nov 9, 2007 -> 09:01 AM)
I knew a guy who hated windshield wipers so he NEVER used them. No RainX, no nothing. He did turn his lights on though. Driving with him was scary when it rained. I only did it once.

Wow, that's kind of an irrational thing to hate.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Nov 9, 2007 -> 06:16 AM)

I know you will hate me for saying this but come on...you live in Harvard Illinois. Kid leashes seem a bit excessive to me especially in rural America.

back on topic...and this should stir things up a little....but talking or even worse texting while driving. I know most people think they are, but trust me...you are not the same driver on the phone as you are off the phone. Not too mention there are already bad drivers out there, put them on the phone and we're looking at disaster.

Also, and this has to do with the phone as well...I absolutely dread getting behind anyone at an arrow light anymore. I would say at least 50% of the time some person isn't paying attention. That percentage grows with more people in front of you. It is probably my absolute biggest pet peeve. I don't care if you are a slow driver...fine everyone is different...I just want you to go when the light changes. You should be doing one thing at a red light and that's watching for it to turn green.

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Nov 9, 2007 -> 09:19 AM)
back on topic...and this should stir things up a little....but talking or even worse texting while driving. I know most people think they are, but trust me...you are not the same driver on the phone as you are off the phone. Not too mention there are already bad drivers out there, put them on the phone and we're looking at disaster.

Also, and this has to do with the phone as well...I absolutely dread getting behind anyone at an arrow light anymore. I would say at least 50% of the time some person isn't paying attention. That percentage grows with more people in front of you. It is probably my absolute biggest pet peeve. I don't care if you are a slow driver...fine everyone is different...I just want you to go when the light changes. You should be doing one thing at a red light and that's watching for it to turn green.

People walking downtown obliviously while on their cell phones are a danger as well.

You take an idiot talking/texting while driving and add an idiot walking around talking/texting and you have a recipe for tragedy.

Although if it's just those two idiots involved, I'm not sure how much of a tragedy it would be.

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Nov 9, 2007 -> 09:19 AM)

Getting into the driver's seat lowers your effective IQ by about 20 points. Talking on the phone takes away another 10. Texting is 20.

By the time serial texter is done driving, he/she has seen their semi-average 110 IQ become 70. They are now officially retarded.

This is, to me, the biggest single safety issue this country faces - people do not take driving seriously. Thousands or even tens of thousands of lives could be saved every year if people treated driving as they should - like they are driving a 4000 pound semi-guided missile. Don't drive drunk, don't text, don't eat, don't yell at your spouse, don't do 80 in a 40 to show off to your teenage friends... and suddenly, we have a lot more people alive today, and much lower insurance costs.

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Nov 9, 2007 -> 09:24 AM)
Who the hell are you to judge how he parents his kids?

OK. I am going to respectfully suggest that any pet peeves related to parenting techniques be left out of this thread henceforth. I'd hate to see the thread go really bad, I think its a fun one.

Wasn't picking on you CC, yours just happens to be the most recent post.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 9, 2007 -> 09:26 AM)
OK. I am going to respectfully suggest that any pet peeves related to parenting techniques be left out of this thread henceforth. I'd hate to see the thread go really bad, I think its a fun one.

Wasn't picking on you CC, yours just happens to be the most recent post.

I suggest comments on personal appearance be avoided as well.