Pet peeves....

Steff

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Nov 9, 2007 -> 10:19 AM)
I know you will hate me for saying this but come on...you live in Harvard Illinois. Kid leashes seem a bit excessive to me especially in rural America.

Thought I posted a response to this, but it seems to have vanished.

I do travel outside of Harvard.

That's all I wanted to say on this. I'm done now.

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A woman backed into my car with her car recently, got out of her car, never really spoke to me, looked at the back of HER car, said "Ok, Ok everyhting is Ok yeah, yeah" and kinda gave me that dismissive 'go away' gesture with her hand. The whole time she never missed a beat on her cell phone conversation.

All of us at the gas station where it happened stood there in stunned silence as she drove off. Had she been a man, I probably woulda dragged him otta the car and stomped on his lungs.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Nov 9, 2007 -> 11:29 AM)
A woman backed into my car with her car recently, got out of her car, never really spoke to me, looked at the back of HER car, said "Ok, Ok everyhting is Ok yeah, yeah" and kinda gave me that dismissive 'go away' gesture with her hand. The whole time she never missed a beat on her cell phone conversation.

All of us at the gas station where it happened stood there in stunned silence as she drove off. Had she been a man, I probably woulda dragged him otta the car and stomped on his lungs.

Was there damage to YOUR car? if so, not so sure if being a woman would have stopped drastic measure from happening. Idiots are idiots, regardless of their sex, race, sexual orientation or political affiliation.

I absolutely dread getting behind anyone at an arrow light anymore. I would say at least 50% of the time some person isn't paying attention.

THIS.

Also, the people who seem completely unaware that the left lane is the fast lane. If you only want to go 55 mph, move to the right. If there is a giant space in front of you and a giant line of cars backed up behind you, you are probably not going fast enough for your lane.

I hate when a dish-sponge gets used and not wrung out, then sits in the sink sopping wet overnight, and I'm the next to use it. It's really just one of the most disgusting smells.

I hate when I'm trying to take a dump in a public bathroom and somebody's gotta come and sit right next to me (only occasionally putting their hand under the stall divider, and waving it palm up in an upward direction).

Also, though I don't necessarily fault the people who use the service for using it, I hate the thing at Six Flags where you can pay to skip to the front of the line.

I hate when people try to take every minute detail of a conversation and tell me how it relates to them, even if they're only tangentially involved in the conversation, i.e. attention whores. For instance, if I'm talking with Person A about, say, running and Person B who happens to be sitting in the vicinity feels the need to say that s/he hates running when I wasn't talking to them in the first place. Or I'm telling Person A about a trip I had and rather than listening, they interrupt and start talking about a similar trip on which s/he went.

QUOTE(maggliopipe @ Nov 9, 2007 -> 02:52 PM)
I hate when a dish-sponge gets used and not wrung out, then sits in the sink sopping wet overnight, and I'm the next to use it. It's really just one of the most disgusting smells.

I hate when I'm trying to take a dump in a public bathroom and somebody's gotta come and sit right next to me (only occasionally putting their hand under the stall divider, and waving it palm up in an upward direction).

Also, though I don't necessarily fault the people who use the service for using it, I hate the thing at Six Flags where you can pay to skip to the front of the line.

I hate when people try to take every minute detail of a conversation and tell me how it relates to them, even if they're only tangentially involved in the conversation, i.e. attention whores. For instance, if I'm talking with Person A about, say, running and Person B who happens to be sitting in the vicinity feels the need to say that s/he hates running when I wasn't talking to them in the first place. Or I'm telling Person A about a trip I had and rather than listening, they interrupt and start talking about a similar trip on which s/he went.

You know, that's interesting that you bring that up, I had a similar situation just the other day....

:D

QUOTE(maggliopipe @ Nov 9, 2007 -> 02:52 PM)

The guy in the public bathroom who makes so much noise you think that they are not in there for a bowel movement, but that they are about to give birth to a 9 pound baby.

Then of course the same guy, who comes out of the stall all sweaty after fightin through the birth of his brown baby boy, smiles like he accomplished something, then proceeds to leave the bathroom forgetting to wash his hands.

The guy in the public bathroom, who thinks its his turn on american idol. Nothing creepier than hearing some song acapella while trapped on the toliet.

People who while in the stall next to you in the public bathroom, are talking on their phone. Speakerphone is worse of course.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Nov 9, 2007 -> 04:12 PM)
The guy in the public bathroom who makes so much noise you think that they are not in there for a bowel movement, but that they are about to give birth to a 9 pound baby.

Then of course the same guy, who comes out of the stall all sweaty after fightin through the birth of his brown baby boy, smiles like he accomplished something, then proceeds to leave the bathroom forgetting to wash his hands.

The guy in the public bathroom, who thinks its his turn on american idol. Nothing creepier than hearing some song acapella while trapped on the toliet.

People who while in the stall next to you in the public bathroom, are talking on their phone. Speakerphone is worse of course.

How about the guy standing at the urinal next to you who is uncomfortably too far away from his urinal.

And I'm not kidding about this one....have seen it a couple times in my lifetime, the guy who pulls his pants and underwear down to his ankles at the urinal. And I'm not talking about a kid.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Nov 9, 2007 -> 02:16 PM)
Seriously. The whole point was to have a fun thread, instead of everyone getting snippy about other people's pet peeves.

As the thead starter, that was not my point.

I don't see anyone getting snippy about others peeves. What I do see is some offended by what they perceive to be judgements of their parenting, and ignorant comments about other's appearances. I don't think it's too much to ask to comment on something that bothers someone without making it personal.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Nov 9, 2007 -> 04:12 PM)

People at my work did this all the time. So very gross.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Nov 9, 2007 -> 04:18 PM)
How about the guy standing at the urinal next to you who is uncomfortably too far away from his urinal.

And I'm not kidding about this one....have seen it a couple times in my lifetime, the guy who pulls his pants and underwear down to his ankles at the urinal. And I'm not talking about a kid.

How about the super friendly guy who decides to strike up conversation while you are either at the urinal or in the stall. And not just the obligatory Hi, the "So what do you think about this TV show that was on last night." The entire reason to go into the restroom is to get something done, and to get out of there. As I am not a member of congress, I don't go in there to meet people.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Nov 9, 2007 -> 04:49 PM)
How about the super friendly guy who decides to strike up conversation while you are either at the urinal or in the stall. And not just the obligatory Hi, the "So what do you think about this TV show that was on last night." The entire reason to go into the restroom is to get something done, and to get out of there. As I am not a member of congress, I don't go in there to meet people.

That one drives me nuts.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Nov 9, 2007 -> 04:18 PM)

I see that a decent amount, its normally old men

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Nov 9, 2007 -> 05:18 PM)

If I ever see that, I'll be in the right place cuz otherwise I'd piss my pants from laughing.

How about when there are only like 3 people at the movie theater, but the next guy that comes in the door decides to sit RIGHT in front of you? When this happens, we get up and move to the seats right in front of that guy.

Or on an almost empty train and the guy gets on and sits right next to you.

Now that I think about it...

One that gets me is when you're walking down a hallway or down a street, you pass someone you know, you either say "Hi" or give a casual hello or head nod or something because you're both clearly on your way somewhere, and the other one responds with some version of "How's it going" or some other question which not answering would be rude.

Seriously, I'm trying to do stuff, I don't want to turn around & start a conversation all the time. Just say hi!

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 10, 2007 -> 08:27 PM)
Now that I think about it...

One that gets me is when you're walking down a hallway or down a street, you pass someone you know, you either say "Hi" or give a casual hello or head nod or something because you're both clearly on your way somewhere, and the other one responds with some version of "How's it going" or some other question which not answering would be rude.

Seriously, I'm trying to do stuff, I don't want to turn around & start a conversation all the time. Just say hi!

"How's it going?" and "What's up?" also function as greetings now. You only need to answer it as a question if the other person stops walking in expectation of a conversation.

QUOTE(CrimsonWeltall @ Nov 10, 2007 -> 12:37 PM)
"How's it going?" and "What's up?" also function as greetings now. You only need to answer it as a question if the other person stops walking in expectation of a conversation.

And that is my pet peeve. It's my instinct to try to answer questions that are asked.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Nov 8, 2007 -> 03:21 PM)
The realists, who have to break down out loud in the theater on how X theory is not real, yet a week before they were at the theaters watching a flying dinosaur who talks and shoots lazers. That they had no problem with.

Where is this movie with the flying, talking, laser shooting dinosaur? I must see this film!