Don Shula needs to go to hell.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think remaining unbeaten is a bigger feat than the 18 > 17 argument. The argument is all about loses, not wins. Now lesser teams can accomplish more, there are over achievers. Comparing those two and I'd take the Bears, but I'm bias and was obviously older when the Bears made their run.

With both the Dolphins and the Bears their team the next year were arguably better than the team that won the Super Bowl. Plus, many football fans begin thinking when a team hit 10-0 or better, maybe this team can go upbeaten like the Dolphins, not many are thinking, I wonder if they can win 18 like the Bears.

So give the Dolphins their due. It was a big accomplishment at the time and I would cut those guys some slack. Imagine Shula, all he did in his career and 30 years later, the only thing anyone wants to talk about is that one team. He has probably answered that question a thousand times.

QUOTE(Shadows @ Nov 11, 2007 -> 03:43 PM)
Thats the only argument needed

Last time I checked 0 losses is better than 1 loss.. K. Sweet.

The Bears won 18 games against much stronger competition than the Dolphins who only won 17 games.

Ever the Miami homer, eh Tru?

0-9 and counting...

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Nov 12, 2007 -> 02:54 PM)
The Bears won 18 games against much stronger competition than the Dolphins who only won 17 games.

Ever the Miami homer, eh Tru?

0-9 and counting...

awww.. don't be upset the Bears season was ruined by Dolphins

And I don't think it takes a "homer" to realize that an undefeated season, the only ever, is better than a 1 loss season.. I dont really care if you think the Bears team was better..

QUOTE(Shadows @ Nov 12, 2007 -> 03:03 PM)

And I don't think it takes a "homer" to realize that an undefeated season, the only ever, is better than a 1 loss season.. I dont really care if you think the Bears team was better..

But you said the Dolphins team was better.

Believe it or not, I'm not too shaken up over the Dolphins defeat of the Bears in 1985 when I was 2 years old. I know you are still loving it, weren't you a fetus at that point... a little fetus with a dolphins cap on? I don't know. How old are you? 23. OK, you were a baby with a Dolphin cap on.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Nov 12, 2007 -> 03:59 PM)
But you said the Dolphins team was better.

Believe it or not, I'm not too shaken up over the Dolphins defeat of the Bears in 1985 when I was 2 years old. I know you are still loving it, weren't you a fetus at that point... a little fetus with a dolphins cap on? I don't know. How old are you? 23. OK, you were a baby with a Dolphin cap on.

I do think the Dolphins team was better, they went undefeated.. no one else has.. They don't have control over the scheduling or the season length, thats just how it goes. Other teams have had easy schedules with shots at it, and no one else has been able to do it..

Thats fine if you think the 85 Bears were better, I wish Miami hadn't lost to NE so they could have played in the Super Bowl and beaten them yet again.. but thats not how it went down..

BUT, people debate this all the time.. I am obviously not gonna be swayed on my stance and neither are you.. so who cares

I do think the Dolphins team was better, they went undefeated.. no one else has.. They don't have control over the scheduling or the season length, thats just how it goes. Other teams have had easy schedules with shots at it, and no one else has been able to do it..

Thats fine if you think the 85 Bears were better, I wish Miami hadn't lost to NE so they could have played in the Super Bowl and beaten them yet again.. but thats not how it went down..

BUT, people debate this all the time.. I am obviously not gonna be swayed on my stance and neither are you.. so who cares

So how come the 1985 Bears are always rated higher than the 1972 Dolphins in Madden?

/end thread

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Nov 12, 2007 -> 05:51 PM)
Better team: 85 Bears

Better season: 85 Bears

Better remembered: 72 Dolphins

Better team: 85 Bears (86 Bears Defense was better btw)

Better season: 72 Dolphins

Better Overall History: Cowboys

I would also factor in the pressure each of staying undefeated. Every team down the stretch wanted to be "the team" there was the media circus, etc. I think the Bears may have benefited from not having to deal with that.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 08:54 PM)
What do you mean by better remembered? Everybody remembers the 85 Bears for the Shuffle and dominance.

The 72 team is still being interviewed each year. It's an answer to the trivia question. Nationally, more people will remember the '72 team then the 85 Bears. It could also be an age thing. You youngin's that get your history off the internet, versus living it.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 10:49 PM)
The 72 team is still being interviewed each year. It's an answer to the trivia question. Nationally, more people will remember the '72 team then the 85 Bears. It could also be an age thing. You youngin's that get your history off the internet, versus living it.

I get my history from books and interviews, as a College journalist and ever-inquisitive person. And yes, the 72 teams are being interviewed each year but the 85 Bears still have their song played at times, are invited to speak, Mike Ditka is a host of football shows, etc. etc. so it's not like the 85 Bears are under-represented. They most definitely aren't. I don't know who's "better remembered" but I do know that the Bears are "remembered" same as those Dolphins. I know Walter Payton's image still graces hospitals and currently CTA trains with a message saying that he's still "making big gains" (with liver research at Rush hospital). Your points are well-taken but I'd like to clarify mine: Bears still remembered and revered, at the least the same as the Dolphins are honored but IMO much more.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Nov 12, 2007 -> 05:51 PM)

I don't know about that. The 85 Bears roster, playoff run, and superbowl seem to be more legendary and better remembered than the 72 Dolphins. But I'm biased.

Edited by mr_genius

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Nov 26, 2007 -> 09:39 PM)
I don't know about that. The 85 Bears roster, playoff run, and superbowl seem to be more legendary and better remembered than the 72 Dolphins. But I'm biased.

Seemingly every year, the 72 Dolphins are brought up, especially when the last undefeated team loses. I'd say that's better remembered.

QUOTE(WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Nov 26, 2007 -> 10:28 PM)
The bottom line is the Bears were the better team. I don't even think the Dolphins are the second best team. I would rank the 84 and 89 Niners ahead of them, and you could make a case for the 86 Giants as well.

If you can throw out one missed field goal, the 98 Vikings were pretty amazing too

I you grabbed 100 random NFL fans from all over the country and asked them to name as many players from the 1985 Bears team and the 1972 Dolphins, who would be considered to be "more remembered?"

I won't buy the additional 13 years as an excuse either. McMahon, Payton, Fridge, Ditka, Singletary, Butler. so many personalities on that team.

Seemingly every year, the 72 Dolphins are brought up, especially when the last undefeated team loses. I'd say that's better remembered.

...and every year a good defensive team is in the NFL, the comparison to the 1985 Bears is made.

If the Pats go 19-0 this year, the 1972 Dolphins team will not be mentioned again. The Bears team will continue to get mention because they were more than just a loss total.

Edited by santo=dorf

QUOTE(Shadows @ Nov 12, 2007 -> 04:03 PM)

The 1972 Dolphins team was not even the best Miami Dolphin team of all time. In fact, the 'great one', Mr. Shula himself is directly quoted following the 1973 Super Bowl saying the 1973 team was BETTER than the 1972 team. In fact, I tend to agree with him, the schedule was much tougher and they dropped two close games that year...but mostly Miami was blowing out people in 1973, whereas in 1972, they just allowed the horrendous competition they played to lose games.

And as far as people putting asteriks beside the Pats season this year, I believe the 1972 Dolphins deserve one as well. The team they played for the AFC Title in 1972 was Pittsburgh, who had just beaten Oakland on a most controversial call the week before. So the Dolphins probably should have been playing the 1972 Title game in Oakland and not in Pittsburgh, which in my view (at that time) was the much tougher draw (Pittsburgh was still a couple years away from greatness).

Edited by kwolf68