Sox Interested in Cabrera

spiderman

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess its possible that Gio could play AAA this year, and then make it into the Sox rotation next year. He has pitched over 150 innings in each of the last 2 seasons, so its not out of the realm of possibilities.

That of course would be based on him doing well in AAA this year.

The only problem with that is he already had to repeat AA once, so if he has to repeat AAA, that puts him at 2 years away.

And I meant as a starter, he could be a relief pitcher faster.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Nov 12, 2007 -> 03:18 PM)
I guess its possible that Gio could play AAA this year, and then make it into the Sox rotation next year. He has pitched over 150 innings in each of the last 2 seasons, so its not out of the realm of possibilities.

That of course would be based on him doing well in AAA this year.

The only problem with that is he already had to repeat AA once, so if he has to repeat AAA, that puts him at 2 years away.

And I meant as a starter, he could be a relief pitcher faster.

You say it isn't out of the realm of possibilities for him to be in the majors in 2009, whereas I say it isn't out of the realm of possibilities that he doesn't arrive until 2010. That's fine, it's just a matter of opinion, so it doesn't bother. My comment was just over the fact that you stated it as almost a "matter of fact" that Gio is over two years away, when IMO, he is not. You sound pretty confident in thinking he won't arrive until 2010, which just confuses me as someone who has seen Gio pitch 4 times live, and once on TV.

Edited by WatchIt

Well DLS is most likely more than 2 years away, Gio is likely 1-2 years away, I guess you are just arguing semantics and then want to have some sly remark how Ive never seen Gio play.

The reason I project him out longer than 1 year is because Gio is built smaller and I believe that the Sox will take it slow with him and not push his development to fast. While he has the pure stuff to probably pitch in the pen today, the Sox are trying to move him slow and build up his arm strength so that he can be a starting pitcher.

But I still dont think that it changes the point that the prospects are at least 1 year away from contributing, and most of the White Sox core on offense is 1-2 years away from being close to retire.

/shrugs

Not sure 1 year changes much in terms of how the Sox should proceed. But maybe Ive only seen them play a handful of times on tv, I only joined this site last week.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Nov 12, 2007 -> 03:39 PM)
Well DLS is most likely more than 2 years away, Gio is likely 1-2 years away, I guess you are just arguing semantics and then want to have some sly remark how Ive never seen Gio play.

Not at all. Please don't get all up in arms and take offense to what I said. It was just to point out that after everything I saw from him personally last ST, when I saw a guy who wasn't far off at all, almost one year later I have to believe he is just that much more ready.

Edited by WatchIt

I don't care if adding Miggy does make the Sox a winning team next year or not; if you can add a hitter that good, and potentially keep him for 10 years, you get him and keep him and don't care what you give up or how good/bad you are the next year. The Sox only have one arm that could make a huge impact on the team long-term in the minors, and even he may be merely a reliever at the best.

If it takes Fields, Gio, and DSL for Cabrera (or something similar, perhaps including a AAAA reliever in that deal as well), you do it.

Not sure if this was on here yet...

From MLB.com

White Sox: The White Sox might be a longshot to acquire Cabrera from the Marlins, but according to a weekend report from FoxSports.com, they not only remain in the running, but would use Cabrera in left field if the trade was executed. The White Sox have top young talent such as third baseman Josh Fields and left-handed starter Gio Gonzalez, who could interest the Marlins as part of a more extensive package.

Manager Ozzie Guillen considers Cabrera a member of his family, speaking for close to 20 minutes before a June Interleague contest with Florida reporters concerning the 24-year-old's immense talent and problems that could arise from the change in his size.

I wonder if Ozzie can call Flordia managment himself.... But seriously if there is an oppurtunity to get Cabrera you get him. I can handle Crede at 3B for one more season.. after next year just move Cabrera to third. If this happens AND KW gets Hunter, WOW.

I'm just wary of giving up our 3 main young pieces for Miggy.

Don't get me wrong he's a great player. But couldn't we just try to target him when he hits FA?

And if you make that deal, you pretty much HAVE to deal Garland, just for payroll purposes, and that will make our rotation weaker.

I'm convinced that there's no talk about the Marlins picking up Floyd in the deal because Kenny Williams has made it clear, ala John Schuerholz with Billy Beane on Marcus Giles, that he won't deal him and without that piece, Florida's having a hard time swallowing.

Really, we're not "in it" unless everyone else drops out AND Florida drops its asking price just to get rid of him because Loria's too cheap to even pay him for another half season.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Nov 13, 2007 -> 12:33 AM)
I'm just wary of giving up our 3 main young pieces for Miggy.

Don't get me wrong he's a great player. But couldn't we just try to target him when he hits FA?

And if you make that deal, you pretty much HAVE to deal Garland, just for payroll purposes, and that will make our rotation weaker.

He's a couple years from FA, he's just getting expensive. That's why the Marlins may be parting ways. It was pretty much between him or Willis, and they are leaning towards keeping Willis around for at least the beginning part of next year to prove his down year was a fluke.

This morning on Mike & Mike, Steve Phillips gave his two cents on the FA and trade markets. He thinks the Sox are the favorites to sign Hunter and believes they are also a going to acquire Cabrera (at the expense of Jon Garland). I wouldn't put much stock in what Phillips has to say, but it makes sense and he's not the first to offer this opinion. I'd be really happy with these two additions, but the two most glaring needs on this team would remain unaddressed: bullpen and a high OBP leadoff hitter. BTW, team speed would still be pretty awful.

QUOTE(BaseballNick @ Nov 13, 2007 -> 05:41 PM)
This morning on Mike & Mike, Steve Phillips gave his two cents on the FA and trade markets. He thinks the Sox are the favorites to sign Hunter and believes they are also a going to acquire Cabrera (at the expense of Jon Garland). I wouldn't put much stock in what Phillips has to say, but it makes sense and he's not the first to offer this opinion. I'd be really happy with these two additions, but the two most glaring needs on this team would remain unaddressed: bullpen and a high OBP leadoff hitter. BTW, team speed would still be pretty awful.

Adding the offense that Cabrera and Hunter would provide, compared to the position players they'd be replacing, would be enough to offset the OBP concerns and a lot of our bullpen issues. However, there's no chance that we acquire Cabrera, as our prospects just aren't good enough.

The Miami Herald seems to think the Marlins may look to move Uggla as well. 83 XBH last year including 31 HR. There are some major flaws to his game but I have decided to overlook those (AVG/SO) and focus on the fact that he had 50 f***ing doubles last year. If the Marlins want to dump him I'll take him.

QUOTE(fathom @ Nov 13, 2007 -> 12:45 PM)
Adding the offense that Cabrera and Hunter would provide, compared to the position players they'd be replacing, would be enough to offset the OBP concerns and a lot of our bullpen issues. However, there's no chance that we acquire Cabrera, as our prospects just aren't good enough.

I know we dont have the best prospects but if we could get a B+ prospect for Garland and package that with Gio/DLS and Fields and maybe Anderson (who the marlins have actually wanted for a while) that could be enough to get it done if no other team really wows them. Odds are slim, i know, but i would absolutely love to somehow get Miggy on this team.

The Miami Herald seems to think the Marlins may look to move Uggla as well. 83 XBH last year including 31 HR. There are some major flaws to his game but I have decided to overlook those (AVG/SO) and focus on the fact that he had 50 f***ing doubles last year. If the Marlins want to dump him I'll take him.

Exactly, if Cabrera is traded to the Angels, the Sox should go after Uggla.

Let's say the Sox sign Hunter and give up Garland, Fields and Gio for Cabrera. Does that make them a playoff team ? Owens in left, Uribe at SS and Richar at 2b ? Let's say the offense is fine overall.

Rotation: Mark, Javy, Jose, Danks and Floyd ? very average with little backup

The bullpen ? Still weak. There would still need to be several more signings/moves made.

I agree but at the same time I just think Quantity will win out. We have proven prospects like Fields and even Owens...They seem to want both. We have Garland or what he gets in a deal. One of those players will surely be another B talent or higher. Then we have a lot of good prospects. No blue-chips (maybe DLS, but I am not goin there yet) but I think surplus could win out here.

The thing w/ the Marlins is you know they're smart. They can evaluate talent. If we are even in the discussion right now, then we know we have stuff they want. We may be 4th on their list but the top 3 are going to take their time and may not offer what the Marlins demand....We on the other hand will.

The fact our prospects aren't Blue Chips makes them a lot easier to trade from our end b/c we won't consider the reprecussions as we would if we dealt a Clayton Kershaw/Matt Kemp, and then watched Miggy walk in FA.

We have seen a lot of teams not bite on dealing their prospects. Even now, the Twins could deal Johan for the two Dodgers mentioned and it would happen. I'd imagine it's partly Minnesota holding it up, but it is also the Dodgers seeing the struggles of teams like NYY and NYM when they just build a team of superstars instead of growing your own crops.

Our farm is weak to the point that I don't think we will miss any of these guys we deal. Maybe Gio but that's it.

If the Sox have a chance KW needs to be on the phone w/Florida everyday asking them what else can I give you w/that...??

QUOTE(WHITESOXRANDY @ Nov 13, 2007 -> 10:03 AM)
Let's say the Sox sign Hunter and give up Garland, Fields and Gio for Cabrera. Does that make them a playoff team ? Owens in left, Uribe at SS and Richar at 2b ? Let's say the offense is fine overall.

Rotation: Mark, Javy, Jose, Danks and Floyd ? very average with little backup

The bullpen ? Still weak. There would still need to be several more signings/moves made.

yeah, that rotation & bullpen both stink. I think bullpen is the biggest hole - that's where we should stockpile.