Sox Interested in Cabrera

spiderman

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just disagree.

If the Sox are willing to trade for Cabrera, Id bet my last dollar that they feel that have better than a 75% chance to sign him long term.

Otherwise why would you ever trade your whole farm system for a 1 year player?

It makes no sense, and it doesnt follow White Sox logic either.

Generally if they trade for a player they sign him long term.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Nov 14, 2007 -> 01:45 PM)
I just disagree.

If the Sox are willing to trade for Cabrera, Id bet my last dollar that they feel that have better than a 75% chance to sign him long term.

Otherwise why would you ever trade your whole farm system for a 1 year player?

It makes no sense, and it doesnt follow White Sox logic either.

Generally if they trade for a player they sign him long term.

Exactly. The Sox history is such that they don't go for one year players. They give known dollars for players to ensure stability.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Nov 14, 2007 -> 02:58 PM)
Exactly. The Sox history is such that they don't go for one year players. They give known dollars for players to ensure stability.

I know their history but this is a 24 year old multiple time all star already with WS experience and all the ability/potential to not just be a HoFer but a top 3 or 4 player of the current generation. I just think (possibly naively) that even the Sox would recognize that and IF (which is very unlikely) we were to land him, given all that plus his relationship with Ozzie i think we would sign him. He's the type of player you dont build around for a few years but for upwards of 10+ and i am in full support of doing whatever necessary to try and snag him and lock him up long term

Cabrera's under control for 2 years, not one. I wouldn't completely rule out a deal. Staying with Ozzie does indicate some comfort level.

Now, the Sox may not be willing to give him a 10-year deal, I can agree with that. But I doubt Cabrera would even be looking for such a deal. That would make his next deal come around in his mid-/late-30s, when his best years are well behind him. It would make more sense to angle for the monster contract when he's 29 or so -- right after his peak years. That's why I think it's plausible that the Sox could buy out a year or two of his free agency, at least.

Worst comes to worst, he's determined to try free agency at the first possible opportunity, you still get two almost-peak years from a top-5 player in the game and two picks at the end. You can always swap him this season at the deadline, and you should net a better haul than Texas did in the Teixeira deal. If the worst possible long-term scenario is that you swap your prospects for a group of prospects like that, it looks like a pretty good risk, imo.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Nov 14, 2007 -> 07:07 PM)
Cabrera's under control for 2 years, not one. I wouldn't completely rule out a deal. Staying with Ozzie does indicate some comfort level.

Now, the Sox may not be willing to give him a 10-year deal, I can agree with that. But I doubt Cabrera would even be looking for such a deal. That would make his next deal come around in his mid-/late-30s, when his best years are well behind him. It would make more sense to angle for the monster contract when he's 29 or so -- right after his peak years. That's why I think it's plausible that the Sox could buy out a year or two of his free agency, at least.

Worst comes to worst, he's determined to try free agency at the first possible opportunity, you still get two almost-peak years from a top-5 player in the game and two picks at the end. You can always swap him this season at the deadline, and you should net a better haul than Texas did in the Teixeira deal. If the worst possible long-term scenario is that you swap your prospects for a group of prospects like that, it looks like a pretty good risk, imo.

Then why dont the Marlins just wait that half year or so to trade him to a desperate team? As much as I would like him to come to the Sox, he ain't. Its a fantasy, the Dodgers or Angels just need to give up a small fraction of their loaded farm system for him while we would have to give up basically our whole system. I would put it at 95% that the Sox wont get him.

QUOTE(bigruss22 @ Nov 14, 2007 -> 04:14 PM)
Then why dont the Marlins just wait that half year or so to trade him to a desperate team? As much as I would like him to come to the Sox, he ain't. Its a fantasy, the Dodgers or Angels just need to give up a small fraction of their loaded farm system for him while we would have to give up basically our whole system. I would put it at 95% that the Sox wont get him.

I think the reality is...just look at what the Rangers got for Tex...if a team has control over a guy for more than 1 year, they'll give up a lot more than they will 2 months before he's a FA. You don't sell out your entire farm system for a guy who could walk in 8 weeks if you don't make the playoffs. You want at least a couple chances.

As optimistic as I've been and as big of a fan of Miggy that I am...

Even I've been coming to the reality that there is probably less than a 10% chance of dealing for Miggy. We just don't have what it takes to get him.

If Florida did like what we had as far as young talent goes....it'd take all of it. Forget this Fields, Floyd, Gio and Egbert stuff. It'd take Danks, Gio, De Los Santos, Owens/Sweeney/Anderson and Fields. We'll come to the realization as a fan base sooner or later.

QUOTE(bigruss22 @ Nov 14, 2007 -> 07:14 PM)

I never said it was likely. (I think 5% might even be optimistic.) I'm just saying it's worth the risk, if by some miracle we can acquire him. It's a much better situation than one year and he walks.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Nov 14, 2007 -> 07:01 PM)
I never said it was likely. (I think 5% might even be optimistic.) I'm just saying it's worth the risk, if by some miracle we can acquire him. It's a much better situation than one year and he walks.

All of this. The Sox will have like a year and a half to figure out if he they can hammer out a deal to keep him in Chicago long-term; if they can't, they can probably just deal him again next offseason and not think twice about the whole thing.

Trade Candidates

Miguel Cabrera (Marlins) - Hall of Fame-type talents don't usually come available at age 24, but Cabrera can be had in return for three or four top youngsters. Since he's going to make about $25 million in arbitration the next two years and then become a free agent, the Marlins might have to lessen their asking price just a bit. It doesn't help that teams are quite wary about Cabrera's weight gain and defense at third base. He makes more sense at first right now, though he could probably handle left field okay. He's just entering his prime on offense and should turn in his first 40-homer season in 2008 or 2009. The Angels, Dodgers and Giants appear to be the top candidates to land him, with the Red Sox potentially coming out of the shadows if they don't re-sign Mike Lowell.

Possibilities

To Angels for 3B Brandon Wood, RHP Nick Adenhart, C Jeff Mathis and RHP Jose Arredondo

To Angels for 2B Howie Kendrick, RHP Ervin Santana and C Jeff Mathis

To Dodgers for LHP Clayton Kershaw, OF Matt Kemp and 2B Tony Abreu

To Giants for RHP Tim Lincecum, 3B Angel Villalona and LHP Jonathan Sanchez

To Red Sox for OF Jacoby Ellsbury, LHP Jon Lester and 2B Jed Lowrie

To White Sox for LHP John Danks, 3B/OF Josh Fields and LHP Gio Gonzalez

Prediction - Traded to Angels

per rotoworld.com

I posted this in a few threads depending on the player discussed.

Found it interesting that there is minimal difference in what they think we'd deal for Miggy to Jason Bay in it. Danks is swapped for Sweeney?

I figure more is needed for Miggy and less for Bay but who knows.

QUOTE(PAUL KONERKO 14 @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 04:43 PM)
woooow in health class our teacher is like we traded for cabrera and i was like YESSS then he said orlando and im like o...

Haha, you got owned. Pretty funny though.

I saw the thread and all it said was "Garland traded for Orlando..." and I thought Hernandez. I screamed loudly. Then I read it and wasn't as disappointed. I got owned too.

Well, here's the Marlins' asking price: Four players, none of them with more than three years of big league service, all with a similar profile to the young future superstars the Twins are asking for Santana.

There is one major difference between Cabrera and Santana, however: Cabrera is two years away from free agency. So a team trading for him wouldn't also have to throw 150 million bucks at him -- yet -- because the Marlins have no plans to allow any negotiating windows.

But the price in talent is still so steep that the Angels would probably have no choice but to include Howie Kendrick and their top pitching prospect, Nick Adenhart. The Dodgers would almost certainly have to build their deal around Kershaw and James Loney.

The Giants would be likely to have to give up either Matt Cain or Tim Lincecum, but might not have enough position-player prospects to get this done. And the White Sox have the opposite problem. Center fielder Jerry Owens and third baseman Josh Fields would be a good fit for Florida's needs, but the Sox might be short on the arms the Marlins are looking for, especially after dealing away Jon Garland this week.

QUOTE(NCsoxfan @ Nov 21, 2007 -> 11:23 PM)
Center fielder Jerry Owens and third baseman Josh Fields would be a good fit for Florida's needs, but the Sox might be short on the arms the Marlins are looking for, especially after dealing away Jon Garland this week.

Add Gio and DLS and throw in Anderson. I doubt they would take it, but that's five young players.....