Sox Interested in Cabrera

spiderman

The only reason the Sox have a chance is if the Marlins like Fields and feel that the other offers will not net them a young 3b replacement.

Crede is not even close to Fields value.

With that being said Id give Fields and whatever 2 pitching spects the Marlins wanted. Id also try and maybe tell them wed pay Garlands salary, etc.

I dont think it will happen though.

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Josh Chicago: Chicago Sun Times had an article in today's paper about a Josh Fields, Lance Broadway, and Gio Gonzalez for Miguel Cabrera trade. Does this make sense for either team?

SportsNation Jim Callis: (2:37 PM ET ) I saw that, and that seems a little bit light for Cabrera, doesn't it? Gonzalez is interesting, but at best I think you're getting No. 3 and 5 starters and a solid regular at third base. That doesn't blow me away at all.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Nov 7, 2007 -> 08:31 AM)
Yes. Fields is one of the in the organization that would have real value to Flordia. A deal of Fields/Gio/DLS would certainly be something Flordia would have to listen to.

One or the other with Gio or DLS...but not both IMO. And I'm not sure which one I'd rather keep...but I lean towards DLS. Hopefully include Broadway or Floyd instead.

I really dont think the Sox are in a position to dictate the trade.

DLS and Gio may turn out awesome, but they have done nothing at the MLB level.

Cabrera is one of the top hitters in baseball already.

Not to mention some of the other pitching spects being thrown around make DLS and Gio look really bad.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Nov 7, 2007 -> 03:14 PM)
I really dont think the Sox are in a position to dictate the trade.

DLS and Gio may turn out awesome, but they have done nothing at the MLB level.

Cabrera is one of the top hitters in baseball already.

Not to mention some of the other pitching spects being thrown around make DLS and Gio look really bad.

And Miggy is 24 years old. Hes not even close to peaking.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 7, 2007 -> 01:38 PM)
2 seasons I believe.

I'd rather not trade Fields for two seasons of Cabrera, especially considering that the Sox probably won't be competitive in 2009. They need to hold onto their cheap, young talent and build around them. If it's going to take Josh to get Cabrera, I'd rather that Kenny just signed Hunter.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Nov 7, 2007 -> 01:45 PM)
The Sox are going to have a s*** load of money to spend by 2010 when Cabrera is ready to cash in. He'll only be 27 years old and I definitely think the Sox would be willing to pay him what he's worth.

I wouldn't be so sure of that. Cabrera's going to command somewhere in the neighborhood of $150 million by then. There is some precedent of the powers that be opening the coffers (Belle), but what's to stop the Yankees or Red Sox from out-bidding JR & Co.? Both of those teams are going to be looking at replacing their aging sluggers by then as well.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Nov 7, 2007 -> 03:48 PM)
I wouldn't be so sure of that. Cabrera's going to command somewhere in the neighborhood of $150 million by then. There is some precedent of the powers that be opening the coffers (Belle), but what's to stop the Yankees or Red Sox from out-bidding JR & Co.? Both of those teams are going to be looking at replacing their aging sluggers by then as well.

The sox are the type of team that would try to extend a player like that first.

Just so everyone is familiar. Miggy would bring a 300+ BA .400+ OBP slg almost 1.000 around 30 hr and 100+rbi. Hes hit over 30 doubles the last 4 seasons topping off at 50 in 2006. Hes a damn good player, and should even improve his batting eye, as hes shown at least an improvement in walks and strikeouts.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 7, 2007 -> 03:56 PM)
The sox are the type of team that would try to extend a player like that first.

Just so everyone is familiar. Miggy would bring a 300+ BA .400+ OBP slg almost 1.000 around 30 hr and 100+rbi. Hes hit over 30 doubles the last 4 seasons topping off at 50 in 2006. Hes a damn good player, and should even improve his batting eye, as hes shown at least an improvement in walks and strikeouts.

He tends to put up an OPS+ in the 150's. So you'll be getting production similar to '06 Dye (151), '06 Thome (155) and '07 Thome (150) except he's 24 years old and only getting better.

Per Olney:

The most interesting trade parameter mentioned is what the Marlins may ask the Dodgers for, in return for All-Star third baseman Miguel Cabrera: third baseman Andy LaRoche, minor league pitcher Clay Kershaw and an outfielder -- perhaps Matt Kemp.

If this is the asking price, we have absolutley NOTHING to offer.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Nov 7, 2007 -> 04:09 PM)
I knew we had nothing to offer before all of the obvious information about his price came out.

It's kind of a "no s***" moment.

Not as ridiculous as this question on Callis's chat

Bill (Chi-Town): Any chance the Cubs could package Marmol, Pie and Hill for Sanatana? Would the Twins bite at such an offer?