Sox Interested in Cabrera

spiderman

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Nov 7, 2007 -> 07:55 PM)
I have a feeling that Kenny Williams would have already had this deal done if this is all it takes to get Cabrera in a White Sox uniform. If not, he should be fired NOW and I am not a KW hater as many of you know. This is a no brainer. He is possibly the best hitter in baseball and plays good in the field. You have so many possible options if you do this trade. Keep or trade Crede. Keep or trade Konerko. Keep or trade Garland. We would finally be adding a known commodity - a known superstar - in the prime of his career with 2 years left on his contract. NO BRAINER!!!!!!!!

The Sox would than just swing Konerko to fill any holes that Cabrera's move created and than give Cabrera the largest contract in White Sox history. Hell, if they were able to move a starting pitcher as well (for some talent) they'd probably be able to bring Cabrera and Konerko in.

And yes, I'd make that deal in a heartbeat...a heartbeat.

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No

So then what do you think we do?

Do we sell high and if no problems ever occur, so be it?

Or do we wait for his first struggles so the media can blame his arm and then have to sell low?

Maybe we can still deal him in a Mike Sirotka fashion if that were to happen with Jenks.

QUOTE(Chombi and the Fungi @ Nov 8, 2007 -> 11:25 PM)
So then what do you think we do?

Do we sell high and if no problems ever occur, so be it?

Or do we wait for his first struggles so the media can blame his arm and then have to sell low?

Maybe we can still deal him in a Mike Sirotka fashion if that were to happen with Jenks.

What will happen: The Sox will hold onto him and lock him up to a long term deal sometime between the end of the '08 season and the beginning of the '10 season.

What I would do: Sell high, if there's a market for him (which there should be) I'd deal him away for 2-3 very good young players to fill a few holes then sign a closer in free agency. The closer is actually one of the easier roles to fill IMO.

How are you trading for Cabrera without giving up one of Fields or the prospects from a Konerko trade? If it's possible to get him without subtracting one of the two then you probably have the most potent lineup in White Sox history but I don't really see how that could be pulled off.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Nov 9, 2007 -> 10:37 AM)
How are you trading for Cabrera without giving up one of Fields or the prospects from a Konerko trade? If it's possible to get him without subtracting one of the two then you probably have the most potent lineup in White Sox history but I don't really see how that could be pulled off.

Yes, Fields would most likely be included in any trade, unless they would take Crede and half of our minor league system. Oh and we would have to pay Crede's salary.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 9, 2007 -> 08:42 AM)
Yes, Fields would most likely be included in any trade, unless they would take Crede and half of our minor league system. Oh and we would have to pay Crede's salary.

LOL, if they'd take Crede as opposed to Fields...I think they could hold a bake sale for the fans and come up with enough money to cover Crede's salary.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Nov 9, 2007 -> 11:09 AM)
They have zero use for Crede. The Marlins aren't going to compete next year with Cabrera, let alone without out him. They are looking for good, young, CHEAP talent. Crede really isn't any of those.

Due to the lack of talent in the minor leagues, Fields is a must in any package for Cabrera.

Which is why i wasnt listing it as a realistic possibility, it would be the only other thing we could throw out instead of Josh, and it wouldnt happen.

Pretty much we have no packages that could be put together for Cabrera.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 9, 2007 -> 11:09 AM)
LOL, if they'd take Crede as opposed to Fields...I think they could hold a bake sale for the fans and come up with enough money to cover Crede's salary.

According to Forbes, Loria made $53 million in Marlin profit last season. If they locked the gates and let no fans in, they would make money, that's how sad it is. Their revenue sharing check is bigger than their payroll. Basically the Yankees pay the Marlins more than the Marlins pay their employees including players.

QUOTE(klaus kinski @ Nov 9, 2007 -> 01:23 PM)
we could trade them a package with any of those guys, the Marlins could turn Garland into more prospects via trading him. It is possible

I'd like to send Garland to another team in the NL such as the Mets etc and bring back at least 2 spects that we may be able to package somewhere else.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 9, 2007 -> 11:34 AM)
I'd like to send Garland to another team in the NL such as the Mets etc and bring back at least 2 spects that we may be able to package somewhere else.

IMO, if the biggest weakness on this team right now is the weakness in our minor leagues and lack of impact guys coming up...with the way the current market stands, it might well be a mistake to trade a guy like Garland for youth and then move that youth...just because our system doesn't have any.

That said, I think I've argued for both sides here...that maybe Cabrera could be had for less than we think because of team's reluctance to give away prospects, but that the White Sox would also be smart to hold onto anyone they can get, for different reasons, so I don't know why I'm still talking. Blah blah blah blah, I'm going to the gym. Go bulls.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Nov 9, 2007 -> 01:23 PM)
According to Forbes, Loria made $53 million in Marlin profit last season. If they locked the gates and let no fans in, they would make money, that's how sad it is. Their revenue sharing check is bigger than their payroll. Basically the Yankees pay the Marlins more than the Marlins pay their employees including players.

I'll never forgive Loria or MLB for what they've done and do in Florida and Montreal.

Miguel Cabrera-3B- Marlins Nov. 11 - 1:15 pm et

The White Sox are in the mix for Miguel Cabrera, with the intention of playing him in left field, FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal reports.

Rosenthal suggests a package of Josh Fields, Gio Gonzalez and Jerry Owens, though he admits it could be too light. Which it would be. Trading Jon Garland for a couple of prospects and then packaging those prospects with Fields and/or Gonzalez might work. The Marlins could also have some interest in Nick Masset and David Aardsma.