2008 White Sox

jasonxctf

QUOTE(jasonxctf @ Nov 7, 2007 -> 02:15 PM)
question for the board. Now that Uribe is back and Richar is pegged as the early favorite for 2b, here's my question...

how many .250 and below hitters, can this team afford to have, while still being able to compete for 1st place in the division?

Rhetorical, right?

I hope Richar isn't the front runner for starting 2b unless it's in AAA. I didn't mind acquiring him because my understanding was we were looking at him as a backup/utility guy.

His hot streak in AAA apparently has earned him the starting nod which makes me sick to my stomach. Go get Iguchi back if there is truly nothing else. I don't mind Tad. I'd hate to say put the old team back together but it's better than Danny Richar.

QUOTE(Chombi and the Fungi @ Nov 7, 2007 -> 02:23 PM)
I hope Richar isn't the front runner for starting 2b unless it's in AAA. I didn't mind acquiring him because my understanding was we were looking at him as a backup/utility guy.

His hot streak in AAA apparently has earned him the starting nod which makes me sick to my stomach. Go get Iguchi back if there is truly nothing else. I don't mind Tad. I'd hate to say put the old team back together but it's better than Danny Richar.

Do you really think we burned Aaron Cunningham for a future backup/utility guy. The reason Iguchi was moved was to check him out. He will get every opportunity to start next year, maybe with a platoon mate. Ozuna already looks like a good platoon mate for Richar to alternate against tough lefties.

Lets also give the kid more than a half of a season before we get the pitchforks out. You realize that we are not the yankees and we need to use some cheap options here and there to help with the mega millions club members on the team.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Nov 7, 2007 -> 02:51 PM)
Do you really think we burned Aaron Cunningham for a future backup/utility guy. The reason Iguchi was moved was to check him out. He will get every opportunity to start next year, maybe with a platoon mate. Ozuna already looks like a good platoon mate for Richar to alternate against tough lefties.

Lets also give the kid more than a half of a season before we get the pitchforks out. You realize that we are not the yankees and we need to use some cheap options here and there to help with the mega millions club members on the team.

Even the Yankees have Melky Cabrera and Robinson Cano.

QUOTE(jasonxctf @ Nov 7, 2007 -> 02:54 PM)
serious question. There are offensive holes at LF, CF, SS and 2B. Even 3B/LF, as good as Josh has been, can he hit higher than .265 next year?

can this team afford to have more than 1?

Josh at .265 would thrill me, because most likely he will hit for power and walk at least a bit. But you are correct. At this point the most critical hole is at leadoff.

QUOTE(jasonxctf @ Nov 7, 2007 -> 07:15 PM)
question for the board. Now that Uribe is back and Richar is pegged as the early favorite for 2b, here's my question...

how many .250 and below hitters, can this team afford to have, while still being able to compete for 1st place in the division?

After the way last year went, I don't think it's realistic to think of what this team has to do to get 1st in a loaded division. To be honest, the goal should be for this team to be over .500 next year, and go from there.

well that's the 64k question. does Kenny want to compete in '08 or build for the future?

If it's compete for '08, I don't understand why you re-sign Uribe? Either (a) he's a poor starting SS, or (B) he's an overpriced utility backup.

If it's build for the future, I don't understand why you re-sign Dye late last year and don't trade Garland.

it seems that Kenny has multiple personalities???

QUOTE(jasonxctf @ Nov 7, 2007 -> 03:54 PM)
serious question. There are offensive holes at LF, CF, SS and 2B. Even 3B/LF, as good as Josh has been, can he hit higher than .265 next year?

Serious questions are often rhetorical.

You asked your question in order to get the "duh" answer that you agree with already, not to get a new answer.

Rhetorical - A question with no need for an answer.

But, here we go...

The Sox can't afford to have batting averages slump as low as 2007's were if they expect to be better than last season.

If Uribe can hit .255, Richar can hit .265, Konerko can rebound to .280, Crede get .270, Fields .270.. we're competing for the wild card.

Now, if only we had a bullpen...

QUOTE(knightni @ Nov 7, 2007 -> 03:14 PM)

If Uribe can hit .255, Richar can hit .265, Konerko can rebound to .280, Crede get .270, Fields .270.. we're competing for the wild card.

No chance in hell with Uribe hitting .255. I know you already know this and was stating the above as an admiration, but he's hit .234 the past two seasons combined. Uribe is terrible and I'm not over thrilled with the re-signing to say the least.

QUOTE(jasonxctf @ Nov 7, 2007 -> 02:54 PM)

You're right, let's fill the lineup with 9 David Eckstein's and watch them score 650 runs. Atleast they'll hit .300!!!

First, if Crede is shipped off, I imagine Damon will be brought in at LF; that just seems to match up well. That's a .750 bat at the least, perhaps even .800. I see a CFer being brought in, say Torii Hunter, and he's an .800-.825 bat. And that leaves Josh Fields at 3B, and he's probably an .800-.850 bat next year.

Regardless of all of that, the only thing that matters and ever will matter with this team is pitching. If they don't pitch, they aren't going to win, so quite honestly I'd stop worrying about the offense and would pray that the team 4.77 ERA comes down just a weeee bit...like into atleast the 4.25 range.

QUOTE(rockren @ Nov 7, 2007 -> 04:21 PM)
No chance in hell with Uribe hitting .255. I know you already know this and was stating the above as an admiration, but he's hit .234 the past two seasons combined. Uribe is terrible and I'm not over thrilled with the re-signing to say the least.

He can hit .255.

He's hit .252, .253, and .283 before.

It's amazing what some guys can do in their contract years.

QUOTE(knightni @ Nov 7, 2007 -> 09:26 PM)
He can hit .255.

i sure as hell hope so..

well i also ran a 4:55 mile a few years ago, doesn't mean that I can do it again.

QUOTE(knightni @ Nov 7, 2007 -> 09:26 PM)
He can hit .255.

i sure as hell hope so..

well i also ran a 4:55 mile a few years ago, doesn't mean that I can do it again.

QUOTE(knightni @ Nov 7, 2007 -> 03:26 PM)
He can hit .255.

Perform either well below, well above, or generally right at their career averages?

The fluctuation of a player's performance during his contract year is really not that much different from his career averages. Look at the free agents this year and consider how many of them had "contract years." Yeah, some guys have them, and those are the guys that sign the big contracts, so everyone thinks players have them everywhere, but that's just not true. So, for every Adrian Beltre or Carl Pavano, there's a Livan Hernandez or Frank Thomas who either suck or get hurt during their contract year.

I don't see anything big out of Uribe without huge changes to his approach at the plate.

I hardly think comparing a professional baseball athlete to an amateur long distance runner is a fair comparison.

Besides, Uribe's still a younger option than any potential SS free agent, he plays quality D for the most part, and likes being in Chicago.

If it helps at all, should he fail again offensively in '08, he's probably gone.

I don't understand all this dislike for Richar... From what I saw in his two months of play, he can make a good everyday player. He plays a very good 2B from what I saw, has some good pop, and while he won't walk a ton, he can still take one. I think I could see something like a .270/.330/.440 line out of Richar, if not better. Plus, he has some speed. Of course we need a platoon player for him, but I'd much rather have someone like Mark Loretta rather then Uribe.

Edited by BearSox

QUOTE(fathom @ Nov 7, 2007 -> 03:59 PM)
After the way last year went, I don't think it's realistic to think of what this team has to do to get 1st in a loaded division. To be honest, the goal should be for this team to be over .500 next year, and go from there.

If we finish around .500, it's time to completely overhaul the ballclub. It shouldn't be viewed as an accomplishment. Playoffs or nothing should be the options. We're only delaying the rebuilding process one more season while simultaneously providing hope that it's a stepping stone for 2009. This isn't a young ballclub on the rise. If by some chance we're 81-81 with the current collection of talent (and perhaps one of Hunter/Rowand/Furcal/mystery person strewn about ), I'd be shocked if Konerko, Thome, Pierzynski, Dye -- key cogs within the lineup -- would be expected to build upon it. I worry about them more than Owens, Fields, or Richar because those four don't exactly have a replacement available. A replacement that could be expected to immediately produce.

I did like the idea discussed on Cheat's blog concerning the acquisition of Furcal/Burrell as potential draft investments. Essentially a deal (if the talent given up wasn't absurd) that provides short term and long term benefits. However, I believe it's just too much of a risk under the new structure for classifying "A," "B" talent. They may be injured or ineffective. There's also the possibility whichever team signs either has their first round pick protected. Or we sign several FAs and have to surrender those exact picks from the sandwich round. Does this sound like a bet Williams would make?

Edited by Flash Tizzle