Bring Bartolo back?

NCsoxfan

QUOTE(NCsoxfan @ Nov 7, 2007 -> 02:26 PM)
Should we have to trade away Garland/Danks/Floyd, would it make sense to take a 1 year flier on Colon?

We know Kenny has always liked him, and heck, he might be worth the risk for 1 yr 8 mil.

Am I nuts?

Not for $8 million, but something very low with a bunch of incentives makes a lot of sense to me.

He'll get $5 mil or more, I have no doubts about that. Teams seem more than willing these days to gamble that kind of money. I doubt he'll get $10 mil unless he takes a 2 year deal. He will not get "Something low with a bunch of incentives". Not with his record and his ability to throw a baseball.

Bringing in a guy like Colon or Garcia makes sense to me if 1 condition is met first: we can trade both Garland and Contreras. If we can do that, it cuts hopefully enough salary from the pitching rotation for us to take a 1 year gamble, and that gamble can be cut short to make room for either Gio, Egbert, Broadway, Sisco, or Haeger midseason if it goes bad

Otherwise, if we trade Contreras or Garland, but not both, then all this type of move would do is block one of the younger, significantly cheaper guys who have a shot at giving us equal or better numbers. If nothing else, we at least have like 5 AAAA type players right now who could start as that 5th starter, which is not a terribly bad spot to be in, as it lets us save some money simply due to volume.

He's been the best combination of injured/terrible in baseball over the past two seasons.

2006/2007: 18 starts, 7-13, 5.90 ERA, 1.56 WHIP all while being 80 pounds over weight, tearing his rotator cuff and missing 2 months of the '07 season with severe elbow irritation.

He'll probably get a Mark Mulder type of deal this off-season (or at least a Jose Guillen one).

I wouldn't mind it IF we traded both Garland and Contreras and we had to sign a FA SP to fill a spot in the rotation.

Of course he'd have to show that he is completely healthy, which there are certainly some doubts on.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 7, 2007 -> 03:37 PM)
Bringing in a guy like Colon or Garcia makes sense to me if ...

I'd love it if the White Sox would take a flyer on Freddy Garcia. He won't be ready to pitch until the ASB so offer him a minors deal like the Yankee's did when Jon Lieber was coming back. It worked for them, the Vermin tried it with Wade Miller and it didn't.

Even if Garcia's arm never gets better you can write it off as a reward for Game 7 in WS. Garcia is the gutsiest pitcher I've seen since Jack McDowell. He might do better than what I'm suggesting somewhere else but I'd still love to see him have a shot of getting back with the team.

QUOTE(TLAK @ Nov 7, 2007 -> 06:25 PM)
I'd love it if the White Sox would take a flyer on Freddy Garcia. He won't be ready to pitch until the ASB so offer him a minors deal like the Yankee's did when Jon Lieber was coming back. It worked for them, the Vermin tried it with Wade Miller and it didn't.

Even if Garcia's arm never gets better you can write it off as a reward for Game 7 in WS. Garcia is the gutsiest pitcher I've seen since Jack McDowell. He might do better than what I'm suggesting somewhere else but I'd still love to see him have a shot of getting back with the team.

Garcia's never seen a World Series game 7.

We were way too damn good to lose 3 games.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Nov 8, 2007 -> 10:26 AM)
Only as Juanito's buffet buddy.

We pick up Colon, then sign Jones for CF we could have the fattest team in the history of baseball.

Jenks, Juan, Colon, and Jones. Thats a fat guy club that Peter Griffin and Madden would be proud of.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Nov 8, 2007 -> 10:22 AM)
Kenny did make a run at Clement the last time he was a FA and got outbid...

The amount of people at Soxtalk who thought Clement was perfect for the White Sox back then was enormous. I shutter to think where the White Sox would be right now if they signed him instead of doing some other things with their money. The current record probably wouldn't be much worse, but there wouldn't be a championship and the payroll would probably be at least $30-40 million lower, although there is probably a good chance Chris Young would still be a White Sox.

It isn't always in the best interest to sign/trade for players coming off of their best years. While that is obvious, it seems like all everyone talks about is signing those very players.

Some of these pitchers coming off of injuries will put up good seasons. While there is certainly risk involved, it is worthwhile to take a chance on these kind of players as the risk/reward can be great...

QUOTE(NCsoxfan @ Nov 8, 2007 -> 10:30 AM)
It isn't always in the best interest to sign/trade for players coming off of their best years. While that is obvious, it seems like all everyone talks about is signing those very players.

Some of these pitchers coming off of injuries will put up good seasons. While there is certainly risk involved, it is worthwhile to take a chance on these kind of players as the risk/reward can be great...

I have strong doubts about that last part. Perhaps in Petco they could have good seasons; not at USCF. For starters, Colon's shoulder is shot, meaning the 93-96 MPH fastball he had when he was with the Sox is likely down to 82-92 MPH territory, and he just won't get by on that. Garcia is done for the first half of next year atleast, and seeing as how he had surgery on his labrum, I don't think it's a guarantee he comes back at even 85% of the pitcher he was, and he wasn't that good in 2006. And Clement was just never a good pitcher to begin with; the control problems he's had his entire career would get him lit the f*** up at the Cell.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Nov 8, 2007 -> 08:38 AM)
I have strong doubts about that last part. Perhaps in Petco they could have good seasons; not at USCF. For starters, Colon's shoulder is shot, meaning the 93-96 MPH fastball he had when he was with the Sox is likely down to 82-92 MPH territory, and he just won't get by on that.

Just IIRC, when Bartolo came back, his fastball was almost right where it was beforehand.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Nov 8, 2007 -> 10:28 AM)
We pick up Colon, then sign Jones for CF we could have the fattest team in the history of baseball.

Jenks, Juan, Colon, and Jones. Thats a fat guy club that Peter Griffin and Madden would be proud of.

You forgot Uribe.