What the dilio?

BearSox

Kenny Williams said:

If Joe ends up winning the job, then Josh may have to go back to Triple-A. And I don't know about that after what he came up and accomplished, if that is a very fair, realistic or beneficial thing for the organization -- short-term and long- term -- to do.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/wh...T-sox09.article

Now this makes no sense to me. Why in earth we send Fields down to AAA even if Crede stays? What was the whole purpose of having Fields in LF last season? This tells me that KW already has the LF spot already filled, and I have a real bad feeling it will be 'you know who'.

Edited by BearSox

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(BearSox @ Nov 9, 2007 -> 08:07 AM)
Kenny Williams said:

Now this makes no sense to me. Why in earth we send Fields down to AAA even if Crede stays? What was the whole purpose of having Fields in LF last season? This tells me that KW already has the LF spot already filled, and I have a real bad feeling it will be 'you know who'.

That's just KW trying to drive up the asking price for Joe Crede IMO.

"We're so confident in Joe that we'll send Fields down to AAA next year, so if you want to make a deal for him- we're not just going to give him away."

Someone should tell KW nobody is buying it. Everyone knows he'll essentially give Crede away.

QUOTE(rockren @ Nov 9, 2007 -> 08:16 AM)
That's just KW trying to drive up the asking price for Joe Crede IMO.

"We're so confident in Joe that we'll send Fields down to AAA next year, so if you want to make a deal for him- we're not just going to give him away."

Someone should tell KW nobody is buying it. Everyone knows he'll essentially give Crede away.

No he won't. If Crede plays the year and walks as a FA the Sox could get 2 high picks. If he is healthy and it appears he is, he is a better option than Fields. Fields working on his defense and a back-up to Thome and Konerko should something happen is not a bad thing. He is not going to give him away.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Nov 9, 2007 -> 09:07 AM)
Kenny Williams said:

Andy Gonzalez?

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Nov 9, 2007 -> 08:23 AM)
No he won't. If Crede plays the year and walks as a FA the Sox could get 2 high picks. If he is healthy and it appears he is, he is a better option than Fields. Fields working on his defense and a back-up to Thome and Konerko should something happen is not a bad thing. He is not going to give him away.

Are you kidding? Sending Fields down to AAA or not allowing him to play daily wouldn't be beneficial to Fields' development at all.

No one is a bigger Joe Crede fan than I am, but read between the lines. If the WSox can save themselves 7 mil on Crede next year they will.

Edited by rockren

Crede is getting dealt. KW is just trying to drive up his value a bit to squeeze that extra piece, but the future of the White Sox at 3B is Josh Fields, not the Scott Boras-led Joe Crede.

You just don't send a guy down to AAA who had a pace of 37/108 in his rookie year.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Nov 9, 2007 -> 08:40 AM)
Crede is getting dealt. KW is just trying to drive up his value a bit to squeeze that extra piece, but the future of the White Sox at 3B is Josh Fields, not the Scott Boras-led Joe Crede.

You just don't send a guy down to AAA who had a pace of 37/108 in his rookie year.

You're exactly right and every MLB GM will agree with you.

There really isn't any other reason for KW to say that.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 9, 2007 -> 08:57 AM)
Yeah right. He is trying to drive up the demand for both Josh and Crede.

Wouldn't saying Fields in LF and Crede at 3rd is a viable option rather than saying we have 2 thirdbasemen and Fields might have to go back to the minors drive up demand a little more? KW has said nothing about Fields in LF. They scrapped plans to have him work on it during the winter. He's not going to play LF anymore unless perhaps in a pinch.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Nov 9, 2007 -> 09:11 AM)
Wouldn't saying Fields in LF and Crede at 3rd is a viable option rather than saying we have 2 thirdbasemen and Fields might have to go back to the minors drive up demand a little more? KW has said nothing about Fields in LF. They scrapped plans to have him work on it during the winter. He's not going to play LF anymore unless perhaps in a pinch.

Unless, maybe, he's trying to market Fields for trading, as a 3B. He may be thinking in terms of trading Crede OR Fields, and the market needs 3B's, not LF's.

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Nov 9, 2007 -> 08:23 AM)

I HIGHLY doubt it. Crede will have to have the best year of his career (~.900 OPS) in order to finish as a type A free agent and bring in 2 picks. There's a possibility that he finishes as a type B and brings in 1 pick though I doubt he will. Crede had a career year in 2006 and was garbage in 2007 he barely finished as a type B player, he was a few points away from nothingness. With 2007 counting towards his ranking after this year he's probably going to have to have a better season in 2008 than he had in 2006 in order to bring the Sox even 1 pick.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 9, 2007 -> 09:18 AM)
Unless, maybe, he's trying to market Fields for trading, as a 3B. He may be thinking in terms of trading Crede OR Fields, and the market needs 3B's, not LF's.

That could very well be the case, too.

However, unless the WSox somehow have Florida's interest in a mega deal for Miggy- I don't see them trading Fields for really anything.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Nov 9, 2007 -> 09:23 AM)
I HIGHLY doubt it. Crede will have to have the best year of his career (~.900 OPS) in order to finish as a type A free agent and bring in 2 picks. There's a possibility that he finishes as a type B and brings in 1 pick though I doubt he will. Crede had a career year in 2006 and was garbage in 2007 he barely finished as a type B player, he was a few points away from nothingness. With 2007 counting towards his ranking after this year he's probably going to have to have a better season in 2008 than he had in 2006 in order to bring the Sox even 1 pick.

Garland is also a type B guy. It surprised me, but anyone holding out hope for a couple of nice picks for him.................its also tough deciding what you want to do because without him a couple of miracles have to occur for the pitching staff to be good enough to win. I wish KW would just be honest with himself and rebuild. He still could do it and have a team that was better than 2007's.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 9, 2007 -> 09:18 AM)

I'm sure every team that needs a thirdbaseman is aware Fields is a 3rd baseman. He is horrible in the OF and the team isn't even having him work on it in the winter.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Nov 9, 2007 -> 09:11 AM)

Because he's worth more as a 3B. If they are dangling him as trade bait for Cabrera, they better have him penciled in as only a 3B.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 9, 2007 -> 10:03 AM)
Because he's worth more as a 3B. If they are dangling him as trade bait for Cabrera, they better have him penciled in as only a 3B.

What? Saying he is a 3rd baseman, not a 3rd baseman who could also play LF makes him more valuable? You do know every team has scouting reports on Fields and doesn't get all their information on him from Kenny Williams don't you? Its not like he's losing valuable time playing LF this winter instead of 3B considering there are no games.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Nov 9, 2007 -> 09:44 AM)
Come on man, he was playing injured and went under the knife. Gargabe is a bit off...

In terms of his value according to the Elias Sports Bureau he was garbage, the system doesn't give a s*** why you were terrible.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Nov 9, 2007 -> 10:08 AM)
What? Saying he is a 3rd baseman, not a 3rd baseman who could also play LF makes him more valuable? You do know every team has scouting reports on Fields and doesn't get all their information on him from Kenny Williams don't you? Its not like he's losing valuable time playing LF this winter instead of 3B considering there are no games.

Yes.

QUOTE(Markbilliards @ Nov 9, 2007 -> 04:54 PM)
Are there specific statistical credentials to tell whether or not a player is an A or B player for comp picks?

Sort of and not really. It's quite mysterious, really. For example, in this year's rankings, A-Rod wasn't ranked as the best player -- I believe it was Ortiz. It's a clusterf*** of a system that needs to be fixed, as crappy middle relievers like Scott Linebrink get two picks and average starting pitchers like Jon Garland are somehow only type B's (which don't give compensation anymore, IIRC).