What the dilio?

BearSox

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(WCSox @ Nov 9, 2007 -> 02:26 PM)
I didn't get a chance to see much of Fields in LF this year. Is he really THAT bad? Worse than Pods... or Carlos Lee, for that matter?

For the short time he was there, yes, he was pretty bad. But he just hadn't played the position before. You put him there for all of ST, or for some time in winterball just so he can see fly balls coming at him from that angle and he'd probably pick it up to at least Lee level pretty quick.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 9, 2007 -> 02:38 PM)
For the short time he was there, yes, he was pretty bad. But he just hadn't played the position before. You put him there for all of ST, or for some time in winterball just so he can see fly balls coming at him from that angle and he'd probably pick it up to at least Lee level pretty quick.

I can see him being bad there at first, but LF is not a difficult position to learn. It'd be kind of stupid to send a guy who it 23 dingers in 100 games as a rookie down to Triple A, especially when the Sox don't have a better option in LF right now. Even if his low OBP is a concern, move him down to the bottom of the lineup. He's not going to adjust to major-league pitching in the minors.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Nov 9, 2007 -> 04:47 PM)
I can see him being bad there at first, but LF is not a difficult position to learn. It'd be kind of stupid to send a guy who it 23 dingers in 100 games as a rookie down to Triple A, especially when the Sox don't have a better option in LF right now. Even if his low OBP is a concern, move him down to the bottom of the lineup. He's not going to adjust to major-league pitching in the minors.

I think the chances of Fields going to AAA are near zero. Heck, KW couldn't even say it without a caveat after. Its just posturing. Either Crede or Fields will almost certainly be traded before the end of ST.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 9, 2007 -> 02:50 PM)
I think the chances of Fields going to AAA are near zero. Heck, KW couldn't even say it without a caveat after. Its just posturing. Either Crede or Fields will almost certainly be traded before the end of ST.

Yeah, sending him down to the minors would be such a ridiculous move that floating it out there would have to be some sort of negotiation tactic on KW's part.

If KW deals Fields, he'd freaking better get something outstanding in return. Fields may have whiffed too much last year, but it's not easy to find a young player who will be ultra-cheap for the next few years and who can play 3B and put up a 101 OPS+ as a rookie.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Nov 9, 2007 -> 04:53 PM)
Yeah, sending him down to the minors would be such a ridiculous move that floating it out there would have to be some sort of negotiation tactic on KW's part.

If KW deals Fields, he'd freaking better get something outstanding in return. Fields may have whiffed too much last year, but it's not easy to find a young player who will be ultra-cheap for the next few years and who can play 3B and put up a 101 OPS+ as a rookie.

I'd guess that the only way Fields is moved is if KW sees that is his only choice to acquire someone big - like a Cabrera or the like. Which I think is an outside shot anyway. Most likely, Crede gets traded, and probably not for very much (given the back issue, questions about his offensive abilities, and his one year left then BORAS-TIME). Fields moves back to 3B.

Also, Crede may not be moved until Spring Training.

Crede is getting dealt. KW is just trying to drive up his value a bit to squeeze that extra piece, but the future of the White Sox at 3B is Josh Fields, not the Scott Boras-led Joe Crede.

You just don't send a guy down to AAA who had a pace of 37/108 in his rookie year.

The only reason I could think of for sending him down is maybe learning better plate discipline, he struck out 125 times in not even 400 at bats. But I do think it's a stupid move, he could really have a good year this year.

Edited by PAUL KONERKO 14

QUOTE(PAUL KONERKO 14 @ Nov 11, 2007 -> 08:33 AM)
The only reason I could think of for sending him down is maybe learning better plate discipline, he struck out 125 times in not even 400 at bats. But I do think it's a stupid move, he could really have a good year this year.

No, he better shorten up his damn swing at the MLB level, because his bat is far too productive to be sitting in AAA.