Anti-Meat

Texsox

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(BearSox @ Nov 11, 2007 -> 08:16 AM)
as sad as that is, humans are omnivores, and I believe in the food chain.

Food production ain't pretty. I suspect that if we had to go out and kill our own game, our diets would look a whole lot more like Soxy's. I've often said that at some point everyone should have to go out and kill their meal and see if they want to continue to eat meat. Drive out to the ranch and lay the sights on a cow and pull the trigger. Grab a knife and git r done. Carve out that steak and slap it on a grill. If you can do that, then you can head to the butcher shop and buy your meat.

You should see what those mean loggers do to those trees, and what those cruel combines do to all that corn.

The only thing I get from watching those videos is that those farmers need to be regulated and shut down for cruelty, it doesnt make me want to eat meat less, it just makes me angry that those animals have to suffer in that fashion while going through their short lives. There are plenty of farms that dont treat animals like that, and you never see videos of them.

Edited by kyyle23

How humans are not physically created to eat meat

Although some historians and anthropologists say that man is historically omnivorous, our anatomical equipment ­ teeth, jaws, and digestive system ­ favors a fleshless diet. The American Dietetic Association notes that "most of mankind for most of human history has lived on vegetarian or near-vegetarian diets."

And much of the world still lives that way. Even on most industrialized countries, the love affair with meat is less than a hundred years old. It started with the refrigerator car and the twentieth-century consumer society. But even with the twentieth century, man's body hasn't adapted to eating meat. The prominent Swedish scientist Karl von Linne states, "Man's structure, external and internal, compared with that of the other animals, shows that fruit and succulent vegetables constitute his natural food." The chart below compares the anatomy of man with that of carnivorous and herbivorous animals.

When you look at the comparison between herbivores and humans, we compare much more closely to herbivores than meat eating animals. Humans are clearly not designed to digest and ingest meat.

Meat-eaters: have claws

Herbivores: no claws

Humans: no claws

Meat-eaters: have no skin pores and perspire through the tongue

Herbivores: perspire through skin pores

Humans: perspire through skin pores

Meat-eaters: have sharp front teeth for tearing, with no flat molar teeth for grinding

Herbivores: no sharp front teeth, but flat rear molars for grinding

Humans: no sharp front teeth, but flat rear molars for grinding

Meat-eaters: have intestinal tract that is only 3 times their body length so that rapidly decaying meat can pass through quickly

Herbivores: have intestinal tract 10-12 times their body length.

Humans: have intestinal tract 10-12 times their body length.

Meat-eaters: have strong hydrochloric acid in stomach to digest meat

Herbivores: have stomach acid that is 20 times weaker than that of a meat-eater

Humans: have stomach acid that is 20 times weaker than that of a meat-eater

Meat-eaters: salivary glands in mouth not needed to pre-digest grains and fruits.

Herbivores: well-developed salivary glands which are necessary to pre-digest grains and fruits

Humans: well-developed salivary glands, which are necessary to pre-digest, grains and fruits

Meat-eaters: have acid saliva with no enzyme ptyalin to pre-digest grains

Herbivores: have alkaline saliva with ptyalin to pre-digest grains

Humans: have alkaline saliva with ptyalin to pre-digest grains

Based on a chart by A.D. Andrews, Fit Food for Men, (Chicago: American Hygiene Society, 1970)

LINK

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Nov 11, 2007 -> 01:45 PM)
Oh, well, it's celestialhealing.net, that certainly sounds like a reputable source...

Better fact list in support of not eating meat

Alpha Dog eats meat

Soxy doesn't

Who would you rather have dinner with? :lol:

QUOTE(Texsox @ Nov 11, 2007 -> 03:27 PM)

Alpha Dog eats meat

Soxy doesn't

I cook an awesome steak, homemade marinade. Even cheap cuts are tender and juicy. As long as it is not mooing, it is done enough.

Oh, and Squirt, we have canine teeth for a reason, tearing meat.

We can look at physiology, anatomy, anthropology, and come up with a lot of facts. Bottom line is in 2007, we can choose not to eat meat. I've read some persuasive arguments about the health benefits of reducing and even eliminating meat. The vegitarians I know, as a group, are healthier than the hard core meat eaters. Now, I would not claim that A causes B, clearly there could be a lot of other factors.

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Nov 11, 2007 -> 04:43 PM)
Sqwert, there is physical evidence that early humans hunted animals and ate them.

Exactly. And chimps are very close relatives, and they eat meat. Trying to show that humans are animals 'not built to eat meat' involves an abuse of science and history, skewed to meet ideological ends, as bad as that of global warming deniers.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Nov 11, 2007 -> 04:27 PM)

Alpha Dog eats meat

Soxy doesn't

QUOTE(Alpha Dog @ Nov 11, 2007 -> 04:48 PM)
I cook an awesome steak, homemade marinade. Even cheap cuts are tender and juicy. As long as it is not mooing, it is done enough.

Oh, and Squirt, we have canine teeth for a reason, tearing meat.

Hmm... What's Soxy cooking? How big are those steaks, Alpha? :unsure:

What gets overlooked Rex, is how many of those animals are for the restaurant, and especially the fast food, industry. Pl,us we import so much meat, I shudder to think how those McDonald's burgers wound up on my paper table mat.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Nov 11, 2007 -> 04:16 PM)
animal_shirt2.jpg

That's a rather assholish thing to post. Go ahead and eat your meat but to people like me who do not eat meat for ethical reasons that is not a mature response to throw back at me. To me it would be like bragging about all the abortions my various girlfriends had over the years to a pro-lifer.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Nov 12, 2007 -> 08:56 AM)
That's a rather assholish thing to post. Go ahead and eat your meat but to people like me who do not eat meat for ethical reasons that is not a mature response to throw back at me. To me it would be like bragging about all the abortions my various girlfriends had over the years to a pro-lifer.

The funny thing, is that my post was an obvious joke. Yet I find your outrage quite humorous. This coming from the same person who painted a broad brush that the killing of all animals for food intake is immoral. Thats a rich bowl of self righteousness there. Most of the world eats meat. Its not just some barbaric process that a few people indulge in. I have friends that are vegetarian, and I respect their views. They might disagree with my eating of meat, but I don't hear constant comments. This coming from a person who has pontificated in this forum about the eating habits of the average person, to be offended when someone pokes fun back is a bit funny.

And for the bragging of making comments about abortion. We have already heard your funny comments on that as well.

I need some advice. Where can I buy something for a 3 week old fetus? None of the stores seem to have that size.
Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Nov 12, 2007 -> 09:59 AM)
Yet I find your outrage quiet humorous.

Who says I'm outraged?

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Nov 12, 2007 -> 09:59 AM)
but I don't hear constant comments.

Constant comments? I didn't even start this thread. I added a couple of posts.

Don't like meat? Or the way it's processed? Don't eat it!

As someone who self-identifies as left-of-center, one thing that irks me about some fellow lefties is that they accuse others of intolerance and are intolerant themselves sometimes. The world could use a healthy dose of anti-intolerance medicine. I'll be in line for the first dose, right after my flu shot.

Just sayin'.

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Nov 11, 2007 -> 05:59 PM)
I think rather than giving up eating meat, it makes me want to eat free-range and organic meats instead. Much less cruelty involved, much better sanitation in the packing process - generally.

That's the key for me - I've gotten very sensitive as to food source recently. And so have others, apparently.

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Nov 11, 2007 -> 04:59 PM)
I think rather than giving up eating meat, it makes me want to eat free-range and organic meats instead. Much less cruelty involved, much better sanitation in the packing process - generally.

Ding ding ding.

Hooray local farm and local co-op that provides yummy organic meats.