Anti-Meat

Texsox

I love meat. I just don't have much faith in the current meatpacking industry. So I never buy meat for me to cook, because I can't afford to buy the good stuff... and I can tell the difference in my body if I eat meat from fast food or a cheaper restaurant too believe it or not.

However, if I go to Iceland again in December, I'm totally gonna eat whale again. So delicious! Save the whales for me!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Nov 11, 2007 -> 04:59 PM)
I think rather than giving up eating meat, it makes me want to eat free-range and organic meats instead. Much less cruelty involved, much better sanitation in the packing process - generally.

I hear they tickle the animals to death, and if that doesn't work they play interviews with Nicolas Cage on a continuous loop, which either results in the animals dying of boredom or committing suicide.

:D

QUOTE(The Critic @ Nov 12, 2007 -> 06:39 PM)
I hear they tickle the animals to death, and if that doesn't work they play interviews with Nicolas Cage on a continuous loop, which either results in the animals dying of boredom or committing suicide.

:D

No, less cruelty. And they're careful about it. They don't let just anybody call his meat Cage-free.

That's a rather assholish thing to post. Go ahead and eat your meat but to people like me who do not eat meat for ethical reasons that is not a mature response to throw back at me. To me it would be like bragging about all the abortions my various girlfriends had over the years to a pro-lifer.

Do you honestly think that cow cares that you purposely chose not to eat a hamburger? Animals are stupid, and we can't have just have a bunch of them running around the Earth with no control. There are 4 times as many Chickens as humans. What's the big deal about growing an animal to feed it to a hungry family, or your own?

That video was also propoganda as well as it add videos of the food manufacturing process with animal abusive. Those are two completely different things.

...and this is coming from a non-meat eater and non-vegetarian.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Nov 13, 2007 -> 05:22 AM)
Do you honestly think that cow cares that you purposely chose not to eat a hamburger?

No. Why would I?

Animals are stupid,

Apparently you are too.

and we can't have just have a bunch of them running around the Earth with no control.

Didn't Hilter say the same about Jews?

There are 4 times as many Chickens as humans.

Not before factory farming became the norm earlier in the 20th century. Before then, eating meat was not very common for most people. It was expensive and mostly exclusive to the wealthy. Hence the diseases of affluence.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Nov 13, 2007 -> 07:37 AM)
No. Why would I?

Apparently you are too.

Not before factory farming became the norm earlier in the 20th century. Before then, eating meat was not very common for most people. It was expensive and mostly exclusive to the wealthy. Hence the diseases of affluence.

Get up on the wrong side of the bed this morning?

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Nov 13, 2007 -> 06:22 AM)
Animals are stupid, and we can't have just have a bunch of them running around the Earth with no control.

This is one of the strangest sentences I've ever seen posted in here.

You do realize humanity has only been "civilized" on this planet for a tiny, tiny, tiny sliver of history, right?

And... are you afraid of the chickens?

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Nov 13, 2007 -> 07:37 AM)
No. Why would I?

Apparently you are too.

Chickens are not people, The slaughter of chickens cannot be put in the same context as the execution of 6 million people. Peta uses that analogy of the slaughter of chickens as the same as people. Old Ingrid and her "“A rat is a pig is a dog is a boy.” mentality doesn't wash with the mainstream. My very poor family in Ireland has been raising sheep and yes eating them for lot longer than this century, my family has been farming and raising sheep for a very long long time. If you were a farmer, or were on a farm most likely you had animals that were used as a food source.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Nov 13, 2007 -> 12:17 PM)
Chickens are not people, The slaughter of chickens cannot be put in the same context as the execution of 6 million people. Peta uses that analogy of the slaughter of chickens as the same as people. Old Ingrid and her ""A rat is a pig is a dog is a boy." mentality doesn't wash with the mainstream. My very poor family in Ireland has been raising sheep and yes eating them for lot longer than this century, my family has been farming and raising sheep for a very long long time. If you were a farmer, or were on a farm most likely you had animals that were used as a food source.

How often does your family get back to Ireland? Any first generation immigrants still around?

QUOTE(Texsox @ Nov 13, 2007 -> 12:32 PM)
How often does your family get back to Ireland? Any first generation immigrants still around?

I was born in Ireland, came over when I was one years old, I am the first generation immigrant. We are the first to come here, the rest of my family is still there. I used to go there at least once a year, when I was little for 2 months in the summer. Now with a family of my own, we go about once every few years. We are going back this summer, it will be the first time my kids are going.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Nov 13, 2007 -> 12:36 PM)
I was born in Ireland, came over when I was one years old, I am the first generation immigrant. We are the first to come here, the rest of my family is still there. I used to go there at least once a year, when I was little for 2 months in the summer. Now with a family of my own, we go about once every few years. We are going back this summer, it will be the first time my kids are going.

This was a point in one of my classes last week. Looking at the immigrant stories of Ellis Island and Angel Island, are so different. Then you compare it with immigrants from our southern border who can be "back in the old country" with a 2 hour drive for weekends. Or, were here when the border changed and suddenly had the choice of moving and staying Mexican or staying and becoming American.

You are one of the lucky ones, at least in my opinion. You could retain some sense of knowing your ancestral roots.

I know this much. If it wasn't for meat, my father's family would have starved in the 30's (Dad was born in '33) ... He, as a lad, learned the importance of not taking his shot until he knew that shotgun shell would put meat on the table. Rabbit, squirrel, quail ... whatever ... he had to make sure of his shot. And yes, at 5 or 6 years old he was putting meat on the table.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Nov 13, 2007 -> 03:24 PM)
I know this much. If it wasn't for meat, my father's family would have starved in the 30's (Dad was born in '33) ... He, as a lad, learned the importance of not taking his shot until he knew that shotgun shell would put meat on the table. Rabbit, squirrel, quail ... whatever ... he had to make sure of his shot. And yes, at 5 or 6 years old he was putting meat on the table.

And, really, if we weren't meant to eat animals they wouldn't be made out of meat. :D

This is one of the strangest sentences I've ever seen posted in here.

You do realize humanity has only been "civilized" on this planet for a tiny, tiny, tiny sliver of history, right?

And... are you afraid of the chickens?

No, I just don't want chicken s*** and feathers all over the place

Did you seriosuly just compare a statement about livestock to the Holocaust? :huh:

PETA does the same thing. Only someone with a brain the size of a chicken would make such a silly and offensive comparison.

We're also comparing species, not races or ethnicities, to one another. A racist german or jew has more impact on our world than a Chicken or Cow.

No. Why would I?

Considering you just admitted you don't eat meat not because of health concerns, or the cost, but because of ethical ( :lol: ) reasons, you should care. Why else would you do it? Just to feel better about yourself?

Apparently you are too.

Weak :chimp

What? That figure is from 2003 and we have plenty of chickens to spare. We grow chickens to eat them just like we plant trees to use them as resources, yet we still have Americans who are so bored with their lives, they feel compelled to try and change the Earth by hugging a tree and running log companies out of the area and/or put together propoganda films to scare people from eating meat.

Just for your smugness, personal attack, and offensive remark about the Holocaust, I'm going to drive my 8 MPG F-150 Van 1.5 miles to work, order a few cheeseburgers from McDonald's and throw them on the ground. Let's see how much more of your "ethical" sacrifices you'll make to balance out the damage I'm doing to (y)our precious Earth.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Nov 13, 2007 -> 02:24 PM)

I'll bet you and your dad had a lot of great conversations.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Nov 13, 2007 -> 08:41 PM)
Only someone with a brain the size of a chicken would make such a silly and offensive comparison.

So I guess only I am not allowed to make personal attacks going forward.

Considering you just admitted you don't eat meat not because of health concerns, or the cost, but because of ethical ( :lol: ) reasons, you should care. Why else would you do it? Just to feel better about yourself?

I don't eat meat for a variety of reasons but you never cared to ask why. You just ignorantly assumed it was only for ethical reasons.

Just for your smugness, personal attack, and offensive remark about the Holocaust, I'm going to drive my 8 MPG F-150 Van 1.5 miles to work, order a few cheeseburgers from McDonald's and throw them on the ground. Let's see how much more of your "ethical" sacrifices you'll make to balance out the damage I'm doing to (y)our precious Earth.

Unreal. And I'm the one with a chicken sized brain.

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE(Alpha Dog @ Nov 13, 2007 -> 11:30 PM)
PORK CHOPS FOR DINNER! Damn good eats!

I would love to slit your cat and dog's throat in front of you and your family and eat them as you watch. Damn good eats! Those are delicacies where I was raised.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Nov 14, 2007 -> 07:03 AM)
I would love to slit your cat and dog's throat in front of you and your family and eat them as you watch. Damn good eats! Those are delicacies where I was raised.

Classless, as always. Grow a pair, will ya? I eat meat. I want to eat meat, and will eat meat. I plan on having a huge turkey next week. And in between will be other meat. I have a ham in the fridge for this weekend, etc. Do you die a little inside whenever someone eats meat? You are as bad as some of the islamofacists, trying to push your world view (in regards to meat) and taking offense at the opposing views. Wanna cut my head off too? You seem to have it in for my dog and cat. Although since you probably belong to and/or support PETA also, I suppose that one was just an empty threat.

Domesticated pets =/= livestock. If you want to raise a dog for consumption, that's your perogative. If you want a family cow, I'm not going to come beating down your door to butcher it.

Want to try another terrible analogy?

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Nov 11, 2007 -> 04:43 PM)
Sqwert, there is physical evidence that early humans hunted animals and ate them.

I'm probably a little late to the party here, but I recall watching The Rise of Man on the History Channel where they said that apes began eating more meat as their brains grew. That line of evolution became humans. Basically, the meat was required to give more protein and calories to a bigger brain that require much more energy.

Not only did early man eat meat, it was essential to our evolution.

I just dont get this analogy. Not at all. I dont slit the throats of cows and chickens and watch them suffer and watch their owners get upset.

If you are vegetarian, thats great, you may live longer and healthier(maybe). Why do you have to be angry at people who choose to eat meat? How does that affect you so much that you have to resort to comparing the slaughter of animals to the holocaust or talk about killing pets in front of their family?