Sox's hunt for OF is on

spiderman

QUOTE(max power @ Nov 18, 2007 -> 11:19 AM)
Isn't danks exactly what you described? Good arm, low value right now? So you just throw someone else in there because he sucked on another team, not ours?

I'm not giving up on Danks, I am one of his biggest fans. But I don't think he should be handed anything right now, he hasn't earned that. However, if those were the 5 arms on the club than they would all be starting ahead of Danks (unless Danks kicked ass in spring training). I believe the Sox would deal Garland later on, but I wasn't going to throw out some ridiculous scenario with 5 random trades, rather was just going to have one trade and one signing and show that the Sox would be a better club with the combo of both (I think the key to the Sox suceeding next year is sadly moving Paul Konerko as he has tremendous value but the Sox need a couple good players as opposed to one very good player and Paulie can get the club just that).

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Nov 18, 2007 -> 11:24 AM)
Santana's beautiful arm can pitch out of the pen until he learns how to get his road ERA under 8. At least Danks pitched well for pretty much the entire first half of the season (4.96 ERA over his first 21 starts), Santana is looking like a reclamation project at this point.

I must admit I'd have no problem letting Sanatan and Danks duke it out and give the other a spot in the pen (in fact Santana could turn into a fantastic bullpen arm). Hell, if the Angels are down on Santana and we know they have a need at 3rd base why not consider a Santana for Crede deal (I don't know if the Angels would do it, but it gives the Sox another good arm and it gives them options if they do move Garland/Contreras).

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 18, 2007 -> 12:31 PM)
Oh I'm all for a better option. And Juan Pierre ain't it.

Owens managed a .324 OBP in his first year, a partial year. And that OBP went up every month. A .330+ OBP is probable, and I'd in fact bet he'll be significantly higher. But even if not, he is basically already comparable to Pierre, but costs less than a tenth as much. Is Pierre 10 times better than Owens?

On the list of people I'd like to see in OF for the Sox (out of the players available or being discussed here), Owens is not in the Top 5, or even the Top 10. But he is well above Juan Pierre.

You need to get off that he improved every month line. It isn't true. His August was horrendous. Owens sucks. Even with his .340 September making up about 33% of his season, his numbers for the year are worse than Pierre's. Pierre also makes a lot more contact which means runners can advance as well. That said, I wouldn't want Pierre for $9 million either, but if they wanted to make it $5 million, I'd take him if I didn't have to give up much.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Nov 18, 2007 -> 03:47 PM)
You need to get off that he improved every month line. It isn't true. His August was horrendous. Owens sucks. Even with his .340 September making up about 33% of his season, his numbers for the year are worse than Pierre's. Pierre also makes a lot more contact which means runners can advance as well. That said, I wouldn't want Pierre for $9 million either, but if they wanted to make it $5 million, I'd take him if I didn't have to give up much.

Well you're big on telling people not to nitpick stats... I took his number for the full year. 2008, if they both play full seasons, Pierre and Owens will probably be nearly identical players.

So for anything more than a couple million (for Pierre's one value over Owens - proven time - against Owen's potential), I'll stay away from Pierre.

That all said, just to reiterate, I don't think either one should be the #1 option.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 18, 2007 -> 05:11 PM)
Well you're big on telling people not to nitpick stats... I took his number for the full year. 2008, if they both play full seasons, Pierre and Owens will probably be nearly identical players.

So for anything more than a couple million (for Pierre's one value over Owens - proven time - against Owen's potential), I'll stay away from Pierre.

That all said, just to reiterate, I don't think either one should be the #1 option.

Owens showed a lot of improvement last year and it was good to see.

I don't mind Owens in LF next year if we can get a capable CF.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Nov 18, 2007 -> 09:47 PM)

I just dread having to see the same stuff coming out of KW's mouth if the market isn't "corrected".

QUOTE(fathom @ Nov 18, 2007 -> 05:28 PM)
I just dread having to see the same stuff coming out of KW's mouth if the market isn't "corrected".

Justin Speier was too expensive at $4 million a year. I read where Luis Vizcaino is going to get $5 million to $6 million a year for 3 or 4 years. KW is going to have to call Reverend Angley to perform some miracles on the bullpen. He's the only one I know that gets the evil spirits out.