my radio show, interview today

Gregory Pratt

http://uicradio.pages.uic.edu/index.php

I've got Jeff Pearlman coming on near the end of the show for an interview, and before that me and my co-host are going to be discussing sports, starting with the Bears, going to the rest of the NFL (or whatever's interesting to us), the Hot Stove, baseball, he's going to b**** about College sports and all will be well.

Fior those of you interested.

My show's at 2 to three. You can go to that page and stream it.

Last week was a lot of fun except my co-host embarrassed me a little by asking Jeff Pearlman twenty questions about Jay Mariotti. (He LOVES Mariotti.)

http://uicradio.pages.uic.edu/index.php

That's to listen, if you're interested.

312-413-2191

To call in. I probably won't answer "on-air" but I might pick up otherwise and if you're not naughty naughty, I'll put you on.

Should be fun today.

Yesterday's show was a fantastic disaster. One of my TAs, who is also a good friend, brought the class up to the studio because I have a discussion scheduled at that time but instead radio and go to a different discussion. Well, we're talking about Barry Bonds' indictment and arguing over whether or not it's a waste of taxpayer dollars when all of a sudden the door opens and over a dozen kids shuffle in. We took a break about five minutes later and when we came back, we brought on two people -- my TA and my friend, Mark.

Except their mics didn't work, so when I'd say something to them, no one would hear it on air but we were having a rocking good time in the studio.

It was really, really fun. I don't think I've ever been more pleasantly surprised in my life.

I have been in radio for five years now and I am currently working for the Odyssey at Eastern Illinois University. The problem is, I do not have a partner who I can talk sports with but at least I can do a solo ranting show just like Jim Rome. Right now my format is a Rock/Sports show. How is the radio program up at UIC? Is that your major and what kind of job are you looking to get into?

By the way, my show streams Mondays at 5:00 on http://www.weiu.net:8080/odyssey/. Once you are there, hit select under "Listen Live" and select the Odyssey. Then hit "Tune It."

QUOTE(Beastly @ Nov 21, 2007 -> 12:02 PM)
I have been in radio for five years now and I am currently working for the Odyssey at Eastern Illinois University. The problem is, I do not have a partner who I can talk sports with but at least I can do a solo ranting show just like Jim Rome. Right now my format is a Rock/Sports show. How is the radio program up at UIC? Is that your major and what kind of job are you looking to get into?

By the way, my show streams Mondays at 5:00 on http://www.weiu.net:8080/odyssey/. Once you are there, hit select under "Listen Live" and select the Odyssey. Then hit "Tune It."

I have little interest in doing anything on the radio besides the occasional interview in future years but a friend asked me to be his co-host and I said, Yeah, definitely. How is our radio program? I think it's new and it's very rocky, but I enjoy it.

Political science is my major and I want to work in writing. All sorts.

If you'd welcome me, I'd love to "join" you on your show sometime. Call in, y'know? And "guest host". We could have you on our show sometime, as well, and would be happy to.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Nov 21, 2007 -> 12:10 PM)
I have little interest in doing anything on the radio besides the occasional interview in future years but a friend asked me to be his co-host and I said, Yeah, definitely. How is our radio program? I think it's new and it's very rocky, but I enjoy it.

Political science is my major and I want to work in writing. All sorts.

If you'd welcome me, I'd love to "join" you on your show sometime. Call in, y'know? And "guest host". We could have you on our show sometime, as well, and would be happy to.

Pratt,

That's good that UIC has a program, had I of known about it when I went on a visit there, I would have gone to UIC. Ah well, that Math ACT score killed me but hell, I'm an English with Teaching Cert major anyway, so I could give a s*** less.

The thing about radio is that it's going to be a very rocky business in the future. But, it is very fun and it could be exciting for your friend if he's majoring in radio, there's a lot of money for talent on XM radio.

You could try to join me on my show, but I only run the small station in our program. Once I get on the county station, however, I'd be honored to have you as a guest on the show. If you ever needed a "guest host" I am familiar with the FCC rules and regs and would be glad to step in to rant like Lewis Black or talk about anything.

Best,

The Beast

• 2 weeks later...

Okay -- I've got something to tell everyone about my co-host.

My co-host is a nice guy. He's interesting. Very strange, though -- loathes the White Sox. Hates the Bears. Hates the Bulls. Hates Reinsdorf. Loves Mariotti. We fight a lot on the air, about Mariotti; when Jeff Pearlman was on our show, he asked Pearlman about five questions about Mariotti starting with, "Do you like columnists like Mariotti?" to "Why don't you?" to "Couldn't you like him more?" to "Isn't Mariotti the best?" to "Does Mariotti get you going?"

It was kind of embarrassing. I apologized to Pearlman afterward and he said, "No, it's fine, but when someone is clearly uninterested in a topic, you should probably let it go." I concurred. Well, a few shows later, during a break, my co-host and I were talking about baseball message boards. "How do you know about SoxTalk?" he said, and I said, "Uh, I've been a member since 2006." "I've never seen you there -- who are you?"

"Umm, dude. I'm Gregory Pratt. Same as here." He said, "Oh." This was before I'd made this thread.

Well, he said, "They banned me because I was too anti-Cubs." I said, Oh, my God -- are you serious? "You're Cuck the Fubs!" and he said, "How'd you guess?" and I said that I used to feel sorry for that guy because he was so crazy, I thought there must be something wrong with him.

It's a small world, eh?

As I told my co-host, who also writes for our College paper -- "That's pretty lame. Pretending to be a Sox fan who hates the Cubs as a way to express your Sox hatred." Really, I think he hates his teams. He's projecting. We've talked about it on air.

Some people here think I'm too negative re: Sox. Right? Well, sure. I have significant constructive criticisms. I hate a lot of the things we do and have done and have failed to do; but I love the Sox. My co-host? He's got this crazy fixation. And when we're on the air, I'm often stuck to defend the White Sox. "No, that's not true. No, that's not true. No! Wrong!"

Well, my co-host thinks I should tell everyone who he "used to be". I say he is who I thought he was. It really is such a small world. (He's been hounding me about how I should let everyone know about him; fine, I say, if you insist, but it really is kind of a sad story.)

Isn't that nuts?

Edited by Gregory Pratt