Baseball America Minor League Transaction

bigruss

Chicago White Sox

Released: RHP Mike Rocco, RHP Wascar Segura, C Matt Sharp, C Reymundo Tavares, 2B Brandon Johnson, SS Scott Madsen, SS Mike Myers, SS Ramon Pena, OF Rod Allen

I dont see any names of significance in here, but maybe somebody else knows more about one or all. Also, I really hope the Sox bring back Beorgouis (sp?), and look at Knoedler who seems like a young cathcer who could compete at AAA with Lucy.

QUOTE(bigruss22 @ Nov 13, 2007 -> 03:18 PM)
I dont see any names of significance in here, but maybe somebody else knows more about one or all. Also, I really hope the Sox bring back Beorgouis (sp?), and look at Knoedler who seems like a young cathcer who could compete at AAA with Lucy.

Justin Knoedler is a 27 year old catcher, repeating PCL, who's numbers are pretty similar offensively to Lucy's first AA season in a pitcher's park. He's got about 15 points of average on him, an identical OBP, same HR's and he strikes out a lot more. So, why would they want a guy who hits like Lucy but is 2 years older? Its unlikely he's as good defensively, since Lucy's quite good in that area, and handles pitchers well. Plus Lucy has speed that Knoedler appears not to. What would be the upside over Lucy?

QUOTE(bigruss22 @ Nov 13, 2007 -> 03:18 PM)

Also, since I'm always one to point out that age isn't as important as how they got there...

Knoedler has been playing catcher in the minors since 2002. That's 6 full seasons in the minors. Lucy wasn't even drafted until 2004, and only has 4 seasons under his belt, one of which (2004) was post-draft shortened, and missed some time in 2005 with a hand injury.

Looking over the minor leauge FA list last night, I found a couple more interesting names after Bourgouis.

Warner Madrigal, a converted OFer. Only 51 innings pitched professionally. Good strikeout rate (11/9IP) in low-A ball as a 23 year old. No clue what his stuff is like, but he's a minor league reliever worth picking up.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Nov 13, 2007 -> 04:11 PM)
Looking over the minor leauge FA list last night, I found a couple more interesting names after Bourgouis.

Warner Madrigal, a converted OFer. Only 51 innings pitched professionally. Good strikeout rate (11/9IP) in low-A ball as a 23 year old. No clue what his stuff is like, but he's a minor league reliever worth picking up.

Oh yeah, I was right about this one...

The Rangers gave Madrigal a major league deal -- though he'll likely be sent to the minors -- essentially because the Angels made the mistake of not making the proper deadline put him on the 40-man roster.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Nov 18, 2007 -> 02:58 PM)
Oh yeah, I was right about this one...

The Rangers gave Madrigal a major league deal -- though he'll likely be sent to the minors -- essentially because the Angels made the mistake of not making the proper deadline put him on the 40-man roster.

He signed a minor league deal with the Rangers.