Blackwater and Private Security in Iraq thread

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 14, 2007 -> 09:58 AM)
Much of the discussions we had about Blackwater, DynCorp and other private security firms in Iraq was in other Iraq threads, but there is a lot of discussion, so here is a new thread.

Update: FBI says at least 14 Blackwater shooting cases unjustified.

I don't doubt it a bit. We shouldn't have hired a bunch of cowboys to go over. It should have been left in the hands of the military.

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Nov 14, 2007 -> 09:27 AM)
We'd need a much bigger military.

It'd be both cheaper and more effective to have a much bigger military than to spend the money on these guys.

Btw, we learned something interesting this morning. Turns out the brother of the #3 guy in the State Department's Inspector General's office, the guy specifically charged with investigating Blackwater, happens to sit on the "Advisory board" of Blackwater. One of those little nuggets turned up by Congressmen Waxman's work.

The person on the State Dept. side says he just learned about this obvious conflict of interest this morning and has now recused himself from Blackwater related investigations.

Edited by Balta1701

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Nov 14, 2007 -> 12:27 PM)
We'd need a much bigger military.

There are really only two ways to accomplish that. One is politically unacceptable and will never happen. The other is so expensive as to probably wipe out any savings over using these private companies - though at least we'd have more control.

Thanksgiving dinner is going to be a w k w a r d at the Krongard dinner table. . .

Buzzy Krongard stated that Howard Krongard called him specifically to ask about any relationship he had with Blackwater “in preparation for his testimony” to the Committee. Buzzy Krongard stated: “He asked me whether I had any financial interest or any ties to Blackwater, and so I told him ‘I’m going on their Board.’” According to Buzzy Krongard, “He responded by saying, ‘Why would you do that?’ and ‘Are you sure that’s a good idea?’” Buzzy Krongard then said, “I told him that was my decision, not his, and that we just differed on that.”

Buzzy Krongard stated that during the Committee hearing, he was at home watching it live. He listened to Howard Krongard’s prepared opening statement. Then, he heard Howard Krongard offer spontaneously the comment that his brother had no connection to Blackwater. Buzzy Krongard said: “You could have blown me over.” During the hearing, he attempted to reach Howard Krongard by telephone. Before he could reach him, Buzzy Krongard received a call from Howard Krongard and explained again that he was a member of the Board.

Hmm, now that Buzzy has resigned, what are the chances that Cookie decides it's alright to un-recuse himself from all things Blackwater?

Alvin ‘Buzzy’ Krongard resigns.

“The brother of embattled State Department Inspector General Howard Krongard quit as an adviser to Blackwater Worldwide on Friday, two days after the relationship with the security contractor was sharply criticized by a congressional oversight committee. Erik Prince, Blackwater’s top executive, said the conflict-of-interest questions raised by the connection prompted Alvin ‘Buzzy’ Krongard to submit his resignation.”

And what normal adult male uses the nickname Cookie anyway?

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Nov 17, 2007 -> 07:04 AM)
Hmm, now that Buzzy has resigned, what are the chances that Cookie decides it's alright to un-recuse himself from all things Blackwater?

And what normal adult male uses the nickname Cookie anyway?

There was a famous World Series catch made by Cookie (something Italian ... and long) Longettivo? or something? ... against Joe Dimaggio.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Nov 17, 2007 -> 08:26 AM)
There was a famous World Series catch made by Cookie (something Italian ... and long) Longettivo? or something? ... against Joe Dimaggio.

Who is Cookie Rojas?

I'll take famous "cookies" for 400 Alex