Arizona Fall League

StatManDu

Took in an Arizona Fall League game last week at Phoenix Muncipal Stadium ... Great experience ... A laid back atmosphere but with a serious game with quality players going on. ... Inexpensive, day game and the weather! 80 and sunny in November. ... I highly recommend this if it is at all possible. ... A nice feature is that the players wear their big league uniforms which makes it easier to ID them. ... Steve Stone was at this game watching with a scout I have seen many times at USCF.

I saw the Phoenix Desert Dogs play the Mesa Solar Sox. I chose this game because those teams are the teams of the Sox, Cubs and Brewers (Love the Sox, hate the Cubs, live in SE Wisconsin)

The best player on the diamond was Milwaukee's Matt LaPorta. He had two hits, two RBIs, scored a run, made a diving catch in LF (the Brewers just released Geoff Jenkins) and hit the ball hard each time.

I was fortunate in that every Sox rep except for starting pitchers Jack Egbert and Adam Russell got into the game for Phoenix. Donny Lucy started at catcher and Chris Getz started at second base.

The pitchers were the Sox highlights for me. Dewon Day, whose 11.25 ERA in 13 games was the highest by a Sox pitcher making that many appearances since Atlee Hammaker was rocked for a 12.79 ERA in 13 outings in 1995, looked great. He pitched a clean inning with two strikeouts and no one came close to hitting him. He has had a good season there. ... Fernando Hernandez, a righty, fired a scoreless inning of relief. Like Day, Hernandez turned in a shutout frame and he struck out one. He spent 07 at Double-A and his stats (3.05 ERA, 85.1IP/84 Ks at AA; unscored upon in 12.2 IP in Arizona) should dictate that he get a look in Tucson in the spring.

Lucy had a terrible game. Hitless and made a dumb throwing error. I am pulling for him because, let's face it, the Sox need a backup catcher. ... Getz had a big hit late in the game and was solid in the field. ... Ryan Sweeney grounded out as a pinch-hitter late in the game in an at bat it looked like he gave away

That's what I saw!

Edited by StatManDu