Alomar from Kansas City View

Texsox

White Sox get Alomar when Royals won't meet Mets' terms

By BOB DUTTON

The Kansas City Star

Second baseman Roberto Alomar joined the American League Central playoff chase Tuesday afternoon -- but not as a member of the Royals.

Instead, it was the Chicago White Sox who acquired Alomar, a 12-time All-Star, from the New York Mets in exchange for three minor-league players. The Mets also agreed to pay all but $150,000 of the $3.9 million remaining on Alomar's 2003 contract.

"Roberto continues to be a player with impressive offensive ability," White Sox general manager Ken Williams said. "He gives us an experienced, battle-tested veteran who has proven he can withstand a pennant race and play big in big games."

The Royals wanted Alomar, 35, for their own playoff push and had reached agreement with the Mets on financial terms. But Royals officials say they weren't willing to surrender the prospects the Mets demanded in return.

So the Mets turned to the White Sox and nabbed left-handed reliever Royce Ring, the 18th overall pick in the 2002 draft. Ring, 22, is 1-4 with 19 saves and a 2.52 ERA at Class AA Birmingham.

The White Sox also traded Edwin Almonte, a 26-year-old righty who is 2-6 with 14 saves and a 6.88 ERA at Class AAA Charlotte and infielder Andrew Salvo, 23, who is batting .223 this season at Class A Kannapolis and Class A Winston-Salem.

Alomar returns to the American League, where he batted .313 in 11 seasons with Toronto, Baltimore and Cleveland and hit 168 of his 203 career home runs. He spent his first three major-league seasons with the San Diego Padres.

Alomar came to the Mets from Cleveland in an eight-player deal in December 2001. He batted .336 with 20 home runs and 100 RBIs in his final season with the Indians but suffered through a disappointing 11/2-year stint with the Mets in which he batted only .266 last season.

"Sometimes, it doesn't work for you," Alomar said. "Sometimes, you play good in some places and other places you don't play up to your potential. I'm really sad I have to leave New York on these terms, but I have to move on and go to a place where I have a chance to win."

He is a .302 career hitter in 16 seasons but is batting just .262 this season with two homers and 22 RBIs in 73 games. The trade reunites him with his brother, catcher Sandy Alomar Jr.

They want Alomar, yet at the same time they seem to be shopping Beltran...have they decided which way they are going to go?

They are asking for a mountain for Beltran. Basically he's staying put and they'll offer him arbitration unless they get a hell of an offer.

They want Alomar, yet at the same time they seem to be shopping Beltran...have they decided which way they are going to go?

Now I don't think they will go about shopping Beltran afterall. Their attendance is starting to come up, and a move of that sorts would just alienate fans support. They won't want to do that.

They are indeed asking for a ton. Are they going to be able to afford what he gets in arbitration? that's a huge question mark for that team.

I think they will take their draft picks. Glass has said he's willing to spend money, just not ridiculous amounts.

Beltran doesn't really want to stick around so they'll offer him arb, if he comes back fine, if he doesn't they get picks and will go after someone else, imo.